• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai: Do Not Fansub Ghost in the Shell Film

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I see a lot of "lol good luck enforcing it", quite a bit of "screw you bandai they help you promote it so stop going after them" and a bit of "good job Bandi" in this thread. Which is sad, really.

I download fansubs. I watch them. When I see that a company has licesnsed them, they get deleted, and if need be, I trash the CDs. The fansubs did what they were supposed to do - get someone hooked on the show.

There is no real numbers for this, but I DO say that it is rather silly to assume Fansubs have NO positive effect. Companies like FUNi/ADV/whatever may or may not use fansubber interest to gauge how much a show might be worth. Hell, JP Licensors may use fansubs to ask for a higher price. THere's no numbers, and I for one would like to see a company tell us such a thing..

But it'll never happen. Why? Because then you get this:
[Company] "We licensed Anime because fansubbers had a good interest in it"
[Fans] "Hooray!
[Company] "Now can you pleae stop subbing it?"
[Fans] Why should we? You admitted that we helped you, so go screw yourself"

My take, and this could be wrong, is that if a company admits that fansubs influenced their decision, fansubbers will get it in their head that they will have free reign - after all, the company admitted that they helped. Ego thing, mostly., I know it came across jumbled, maybe someone else can try to phrase what I'm saying.

And I do want to say, I did download one thing of GitS once. The 4-1-06 Adult Swim episode, where they spliced in the farts, namely because I missed it. Deleted it after I watched it, but I still downloaded it.

Wonder if I should go out and buy the DVD that that episode was on just to be extra-sure.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh look, another Pleroma thread and his effort to explain to the world why he should be allowed to legalize slavery and take the hard work of others simpy because he wants it and he can. For all your usual longwindedness you once again demonstrate yourself as little more than an elitist and self-centered fool with a superiority complex. Just not enough of one to get over the idea that you think you can actually justify theft of other peoples properties.

Lol I make like 2 fairly small comments and its suddenly my thread? For the record I am not trying to justify anything as I feel no moral qualnms whatsoever at the prospect of piracy nor do I in any way think myself superior to anyone because I choose to aquire things differently.

Your inevitable slavery comments make me lol tho. Not so much since its a ridiculous comparison but because I always imagine myself in a puffy shirt, eyepatch and shoulder parrot whipping a Japanese animator aboard a ship whilst shouting "What's your name!?" "Watanabe-san!" he replies, *whip* "I say its Toby!" *whip, whip, whip*

If thats not damn cool I don't know what is! (Disclaimer, before anyone gets on a rant about me triavilizing something historycal blah blah blah please notice that Keonin opened that one up with his colorful analogy.)

Quote:

Content requires profit because content costs money to produce. Materials and labor aren't free and if content for profit goes the way of the dodo then content itself goes the way of the dodo because innovators and artists aren't going to spend so much effort to gain nothing.

You misunderstand, the idea (not mine) is that content would make money not through its sale to consumers but by providing a sort of virtual add space. Think of that can of coke seen in your favorite movie but on a grander scale. Again this is just one idea and I would be interested to know what some of you think about and its feasibility.

Quote:
The laws are not flawed, the only way to account for the dynamic of theft is to expect it or to just hand it over

I think setting limits on copyright timewise (say 5 years of exclusivity to make a profit) and allow legal secondary means of distribuition by third parties when they are not for profit and remain on a limited scale.

Quote:
It's funny how fansub enthusiasts always say fansubs drive the industry, yet there's nothing really to back that up just like all the claims they see as hot air from the other side

I wouldn't quite say the drive it, but yes from my own experience they have always seemed like a beneficial part of the industry. Yes there are no hard numbers on either side so its their word against our and I am personally inclined to believe a fan over a corporation, but again, nothing is conclusive here.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i'm sure they will happily comply... like Shinsen for instance, they're very well known for respecting properties.
Ahahahahaha... Laughing
I don't see the point of fansubbing that movie either, warning or no warning. But once again, everyone in the "fansubbing will kill sales" camp has forgotten that a movie of this stature is going to be ripped 7 ways from Sunday once the official R1 release comes out, so these efforts to stop fansubbers are only going to delay people's ability to get it for free if they want to. I'm not saying this in a "lol piracy rulz u cant stop us" way, I'm just making a reasonable prediction on what's going to happen. From what I've seen, efforts to stop groups or get torrents removed just wind up shifting things to other sectors of the Internet, and it'll only steel the resolve of distribution sites that make it their goal to make all anime available for download.
Since stopping fansubbing / online distribution is problematic, it's my opinion that along with going after the more insidious forms of piracy (DVD-rippers, bootleg sellers), companies should focus on the things that they can control instead of blowing smoke about things they can't control. This means, especially in Bandai's case, not releasing discs that fail it...

Escaflowne and other Anime Legends discs have had trouble playing, Chris B at AoD couldn't get subtitles to work on a couple of My-Hime discs, numerous people have issues with Bandai's DVD cases in general breaking or letting discs free during transit (like a couple of my Bebop ReMix cases), dub quality all over the map (some of the best, like Bebop and Wolf's Rain, but also some of the worst, like Love Hina & Crest of the Stars)...

And of course, there are other issues, like repeated catalogue re-releases (Please Teacher! is on vers. 4, Wolf's Rain and Love Hina are on vers. 3) that de-value those critical initial single-DVD releases. What does all of this have to do with GitS: SSS? Pretty much nothing, but the "sad but true" reality is that in today's corrupt, "free information" online community, simply giving "piracy is wrong" lectures is not going to stop illegal distribution -- there has to be incentive to buy products, either in the form of artboxes and other extras, or simply by making sure that people aren't spending $20-$35 on discs that A) won't work correctly or B) will be available 1.5 years later for a fraction of the cost (back to Wolf's Rain, 1st disc + box July 2004, complete collection November 2005) That stuff is all within company control. Yes, fansubbers have become less ethical and more self-serving over the years, but the companies could still learn a few things about presentation -- there are people that believe fansubs are better than DVDs for reasons unrelated to cost, after all.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Production I.G.'s site says it cost 3.20 million dollars to make. Is this the most expensive OVA?

So,do they stand to lose their shirts if another Akane Maniax happens?
RDespair

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I think setting limits on copyright timewise (say 5 years of exclusivity to make a profit) and allow legal secondary means of distribuition by third parties when they are not for profit and remain on a limited scale.

5 years? As someone who would like to end up writing full time eventually as a profession, that sounds awful. Not only would that mean that I wouldn't be able to build up a catalog of works that could still earn me money in later years, but I daresay book buying in general would drop dramatically if everyone knew that all you had to do was wait for 5 years and then you'd be able to download a free copy of whatever book you wanted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deliverator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote
I think it's sad when companis put out threats like this against their targeted consumers, I think it can be very harmful to buisness, but I respect their decision to do so. It is their right to do so, and if they feel they have to do such a thing, then so be it.
What's sadder though is when companies ask fansubbers politely, as so many have, to drop a liscenced title, the fansubbers lash out like I saw in that anime junkies email to UV.

Can't say I like seeing fansubbed series dropped in the middle-end of a tv run due to liscensing.(I have little patience to wait 2 years to finally pick up where left off). However I do love seeing animes being liscenced and brought to the US, especially if the show gets liscenced before it even begins it's tv run, and makes room for a fansub group to do a less fortunate series that wasn't liscenced or picked for fansubbing. Im a true fan through and through, I love seeing anime, and I love to see it grow in success, cause that means even more anime !

(please excuse my grammer and spelling, I seem to suffer from the illeteracy disease that has spread through the internet)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
Deliverator wrote:
I think it's sad when companis put out threats like this against their targeted consumers, I think it can be very harmful to buisness, but I respect their decision to do so. It is their right to do so, and if they feel they have to do such a thing, then so be it.
What's sadder though is when companies ask fansubbers politely, as so many have, to drop a liscenced title, the fansubbers lash out like I saw in that anime junkies email to UV.

What exact harm is being done to the consumers, tell me. What's happening in this particular situation is that the companies are making sure that the customers are getting the best quality products that are offered, not third rate crapy audio type anime. If customers are going to go out and download fansubs, that's what's harming not only the companies, but the customers also because then they can't support the companies to make more anime series. And promote anime the correct way.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
Deliverator wrote:
I think it's sad when companis put out threats like this against their targeted consumers, I think it can be very harmful to buisness, but I respect their decision to do so.

Wait wait, they are going after the fansubber, not the consumer. What are you talking about? Second of all, if this hurt business because "fansub" fan spite 'em for doing it, then those same people gotta look at themself and ask "why am I mad mad at bandai in the first place?" Because fan couldn't get a free copy beforehand? It's things like this that makes the entire fansub downloading community look like crying idiots.

The reason for this warning is because they don't want people that would have brought the DVD but instead, download the fansub because it's easily accessible and fansub is easily accessible. Even though they can't stop fansubbing as a whole, they are just protecting what they are entitle to and it's a good start if they do wish to enforce copyright law in the future. It's their dicision, it's their product.

Last edited by hagakure|returns on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:19 am; edited 5 times in total
vroenis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Pertinent to this discussion I think, would be this ANN perspective from 1999.

Read the entire editorial, I think it shows some great perspective and amazing foresight given the time it was written.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
DaveJS wrote:
I think Bandai made a mistake saying that they will prosecute people. This early on, I think they should have just asked that SSS and such not be fansubbed. I'm sure most groups will comply with this, and for those that don't, Bandai should ask them to stop, like what FUNi did (it was FUNi right?). After that, they should take legal action.

My point in short, by saying what they did, some fansub groups who may not have done it, will, just to spite Bandai. And people who might not have downloaded it, will. IMO, at least...
By licensing it, they already said the "keep your grubby hands off of it". This really is a "shot off the bow" at AoD puts it. The question is if they keep good to their word and sue. I hope they do end up suing anyone who does sub it or acts as primary distribution of it. Oh, and a note, settling would not be seen as weak.

AstroNerdBoy wrote:

That's not true. There are ways to prevent them from seeing what you are downloading, or to even get your IP address if you are downloading/seeding.

As the technical person, let me just say that you are completely incorrect. Especially on a torrent. Your IP address is clear as daylight on a torrent. It is impossible to hide it. (Think about it, the tracker has to tell other clients where to find you.)

Riyousha wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Yes! Very good, Bandai! I'm very happy to see a company doing something about this problem!

Thank you very much! Very Happy

Why? You hate fansubs?

This is not about fansub hate. There is no reason to fansub Gits:SSS to begin with except blatent piracy. This is airing on TV too. There is seriously no reason to even justify "fansubbing" this. (I'd like to see the pirate sympathiser who came off as a total idiot justify this with a reason that is not piracy.)

sorvani wrote:
If high speed neo-fansubbers can have a mostly acurate fansub released within 12 hours of a show being aired in Japan, there is absolutely no excuse why a company like Bandai with a title like GitS can not work on a simultaneous, or nearly so, release.
This is very simple. It is because Japan does not send them the materials until they feel like it. Also, as you see with a few shows, the script is not final until the show is final. I am not going to quote the individual parts I am replying to in your huge post past here. You need a translated, checked, ADR'd etc script first to dub it. Also, there is another delay in the process which is in the distributing to retailers. You need to separate it far enough from anything else GITS or else it will be seen as releasing too much too fast. (This will add 2 months).

Quote:
so to sum up, no, there really is no technological or logistical reason why an anime can't be simultaneously released in multiple regions.
Yes there is. The japanese are absolutely paranoid of the US product undercutting their profits and for good reason. It WOULD undercut it if they simultaneously released because our release is cheaper and contains the Japanese audio. The R2 disc sells for twice as much as the US disc does.

Edit: Added quotes, this isnt fansubbing, this is just piratesubbing.

Last edited by bayoab on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
RDespair wrote:

5 years? As someone who would like to end up writing full time eventually as a profession, that sounds awful. Not only would that mean that I wouldn't be able to build up a catalog of works that could still earn me money in later years, but I daresay book buying in general would drop dramatically if everyone knew that all you had to do was wait for 5 years and then you'd be able to download a free copy of whatever book you wanted.

It isn't realistic at all; it's a hostile "concession" he wants to give to the people who actually make this stuff, and it implies a false sense of ownership he has over these properties. He considers himself to be the one in control, and he feels it should be up to him to dictate to the artist how he should be able to consume the artist's work.

Ultimately it's just a very selfish way of thinking. He isn't willing to actually admit that he doesn't think the artists deserve any compensation for their work, or if they do, it's not his responsibility to actually compensate them; he wants what he wants and he wants it for free, and he ALSO doesn't want anyone to actually take him to task for that attitude. The underlying motives here are obvious and frankly sickening. It's anti-capitalist.

What makes it worse is how many of these fansubbers and fansub consumers exist under the pretense that somehow the fansub version is more "pure", more "righteous", more justified than the R1 release, that they should be saluted for being "real fans", thanked endlessly for "promoting anime", never called into question or challenged nor should they ever have to actually be remotely introspective for a second...

and yet they are the first to completely spit in the face of anyone who dare tell them that maybe they should actually pay the entertainers who entertain them, especially the artists themselves. It's sad, and juvenile, and a ludicrous, delusional self-serving fantasy.

That ANY fansubber would see this as a "challenge" means that they are not actually fans nor do they care at all about anime; it's about one-upsmanship, piracy, theft for theft's sake, and fleeting, meaningless internet "fame" inside a small, obscure circle of teenagers who will only forget eachother once they actually do something meaningful with their lives.

It's depressing.
nagashi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
I for one will be downloading the fansub, without guilt. I will never buy more of their dubtitled, close captions for subs, non-backup-able, drm'ed crap.

If they provide it at a very low cost in an open format (divx/xvid or some such format) that I can easily move around between computers, they stand a chance at making $1 (and probaby not more than $1) off me.

Down with Copyright!
Down with Licensors!
Down with voice 'talent'!
Down with Localization!

Up with free media, fair use, and privacy!

Culture in it's various forms are the property of the people, and we will do with it what we wish: rip, subtitle, scanlate, make amvs of, and distribute with impunity.

Long live fansubs!

Last edited by nagashi on Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
nagashi wrote:
I for one will be downloading the fansub, without guilt. I will never buy more of their dubtitled, close captions for subs, non-backup-able, drm'ed crap.

If they provide it at a very low cost in an open format (divx/xvid or some such format) that I can easily move around between computers, they stand a chance at making $1 (and probaby not more than $1) off me.

Down with Copyright!
Down with Licensors!
Down with Localization!

Culture in it's various forms are the property of the people, and we will do with it what we wish: rip, subtitle, make amvs of, and distribute with impunity.

Long live fansubs!

You're an idiot.
nagashi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
Always good to know that the fine fine editors of this site reduce themselves to name calling. Go you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote
nagashi wrote:

Down with Copyright!
Down with Licensors!
Down with Localization!

Culture in it's various forms are the property of the people, and we will do with it what we wish: rip, subtitle, scanlate, make amvs of, and distribute with impunity.

Long live fansubs!

You raise a good point. So when you make something that turns out to be a big hit I get to steal it from you and I get to distribute it at my discretion to people and then you lose money because I'm pirating your materials. Great idea and good luck to you.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 29