• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with disappointing endings?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

On the subject of disappointing endings, I'd like to bring up the end of I My Me! Strawberry Eggs. It's not so much a bad ending as a completely open one. spoiler[First, Hibiki's secret is revealed so everyone knows he's not really a female teacher like he claimed. He chooses to leave and, while they do a whole thing where Kuzuha chases after his train and all that, they don't tell you anything about how all that mess is actually going to work out. Second, they pretty much leave the issue of whether or not the head woman at the school will ever get over her problem with men a big grey area. (I think they pretty much said that Hibiki's landlady was actually a man from the pricipal's past but it's still very unsettled.)]

It's not like it's a bad ending, because there is a very postive feel to it, but the loose plot threads are only half-heartedly crossed over each other instead of being tied up.

*Edited because I caught a few spelling errors late in the game.

I went through this whole thread to find out on the last page some one posted what I was going to post about I would also like to add spoiler[ They also don't sho if any coupoles are actually going to get together. If Kuzuha is going to wait for Hibiki to come back or if she is going to go with Fukae or if he is going with Fujio. And they never said if the perverts got new jobs. =/]
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Two series come into mind:

1. Tokko - I'm a pretty carefree/open-minded viewer who usually doesn't notice flaws such as bad animation, shoddy character designs, and rushed endings, yet even I was able to tell that the ending of this particular series was rushed to oblivion. I'm not going to comment anymore about it, since I don't want to spoil it. You guys and gals (especially if you're watching it on Sci Fi) can find out on your own. Wink

2. Tenjho Tenge - It kind of ended abruptly. While there was spoiler[one more fight between Soichiro and Mitsuomi, you never get to see the actual tournament]. And with no uncut manga to legally read, I won't be able to find out for a long time.
FaeLioN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I think that tenjho tenge is the most inconclusive Anime i have ever seen, but i heard that it ended in the volume 8 of the manga, so i m downloading the rest of the manga to see if it really have an ending, spoiler[i d like to see Souchiro together with Aya.]

Maburaho too, is very disappointing, spoiler[Kazuki should not have been separated in those Kazukis its just stupid, and he should have only made the promise with Yuna not with Yamase too.]
vylo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:07 am Reply with quote
Gantz. I really hope they make a continuation or the whole damn thing was pointless.

No closure AT ALL. 0 explanation.
starseven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:39 am Reply with quote
I know of few animes which I was really disappointed in the ending of the series.

StarOcean EX ended technically in the middle of the story. It was decent as an anime but to not finish is such a bad way to end it.

Silent Mobius ended leaving you hanging. It didn't resolve anything. It left most of the story unfinished.

Now and Then, Here and There - spoiler[He just goes home after it's all over. It really wasn't much of an ending.]

Last edited by starseven on Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
FaeLioN wrote:

Maburaho too, is very disappointing, spoiler[Kazuki should not have been separated in those Kazukis its just stupid, and he should have only made the promise with Yuna not with Yamase too.]

I only watched Maburaho because I could laugh at the absurdity of the whole thing as well as enjoy Jessica Boone's ability to make characters uber huggable, but I still thought that was one of the most stupid endings I have ever seen. spoiler[It's a prime example of the makers being too afraid to choose a single mate for the male lead.] Then again, one can't expect too much from the harem genre, right? Wink
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Magikano. Yumeria. Anyone who's seen them would know why. Especially have a distaste for Yumeria's ending. Made absolutely no sense. At least Magikano's was easy to follow. They're both pretty good animes though, especially Magikano. Yumeria, well... just watch it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I actually love the ending of the first Fullmetal Alchemist series. I even enjoy the movie, to an extent. It's thematically sound, if not entirely reasonable.

I'm more disappointed with non-endings than with endings. Stuff like Bubblegum Crisis that never got a real ending. An ending that's disappointing I can deal with.

I never cared much for .hack//SIGN's ending. I mean, the show itself is dull as hell, but then they finally build up to a final boss fight and decide to skip it to the epilogue? Er, did somebody forget to animate the final battle? What nonsense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
timesteel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
i didn't really like the ending for AIR i mean i like all of key's other anime series but air was kinda boring
Boomer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm more disappointed with non-endings than with endings. Stuff like Bubblegum Crisis that never got a real ending. An ending that's disappointing I can deal with.

Bubblegum Crisis did get a real ending; it's called Bubblegum Crash. There, spoiler[Mason/Largo is finally defeated after he tries to unite all boomers in MegaTokyo and then tries to destroy the city by blowing up its main nuclear reactor.]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Bubblegum Crisis did get a real ending; it's called Bubblegum Crash. There, spoiler[Mason/Largo is finally defeated after he tries to unite all boomers in MegaTokyo and then tries to destroy the city by blowing up its main nuclear reactor.]

Nobody is deluded enough to consider Crash a real ending. Not even the makers of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Boomer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Boomer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Nobody is deluded enough to consider Crash a real ending. Not even the makers of it.

The story is canon, and it is what the makers intended for the series but in a shortened form due to budgetary constraints. The critics may not like it for the most part, but Crash is actually consistent with everything that preceded it in Crisis.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Boomer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Boomer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

The story is canon, and it is what the makers intended for the series but in a shortened form due to budgetary constraints. The critics may not like it for the most part, but Crash is actually consistent with everything that preceded it in Crisis.

Did we watch the same Crash?

- No Genom
- Priss is back to hating boomers, despite making good friends (more than good friends, possibly) with boomers
- ADAMA is considered "advanced" despite being significantly less advanced than Sylvie or Anri
- Linna is a money-grubbing bitch

Real consistent.
Boomer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Boomer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Boomer wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Did we watch the same Crash?

- No Genom
- Priss is back to hating boomers, despite making good friends (more than good friends, possibly) with boomers
- ADAMA is considered "advanced" despite being significantly less advanced than Sylvie or Anri
- Linna is a money-grubbing bitch

Real consistent.

Yes, we did.

1. Genom is not mentioned by name in Crash although Genom Tower is shown briefly during the opening sequence when Sylia is gazing out the window. The absence of Genom can be explained by the fact that spoiler[Largo destroyed several Genom Towers around the world] in Crisis, and the corporation suffered setbacks during the course of the original series. It might have gone bankrupt or split into smaller companies. This could explain why, during the initial conversation between Leon and Daley in the coffee shop, it is mentioned that the market has been flooded with cheap boomers.

2. Priss made friends with some boomers in the original; she might have had additional bad experiences with boomers between the Crisis and Crash timelines that hardened her opinion of them.

3. ADAMA not being advanced (see Point 1.)

4. Linna was the least developed Knight Saber character in Crisis, so it's hard to tell whether or not she was a "money-grubbing bitch" in the first place. The viewer did not come away with enough knowledge about her personality to determine whether the traits she exhibits in Crash are inconsistent with her previous behavior. It is not inconceivable that she decided to change careers and become a stockbroker once the Knight Sabers' services were no longer required.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Funny how Quincy didn't seem inconvenienced at all by spoiler[Largo destroying all those Genom Towers]. I doubt he would just disappear. He's the head of the biggest corporation in the world, as far as Double Vision. I doubt even spoiler[the loss of that island] really set him back that much. Especially if the specs of the new boomer weren't leaked as threatened. McLauren was retrieved, after all.

No, I don't buy Genom's absence or Priss' sudden reversal on boomers. If there were events in between Scoop Chase and Illegal Army, we should have been made abreast of them. To suddenly have her hate boomers again without explanation is like nobody involved even watched the first eight episodes.

And in no way is Adama advanced. Corporations would have been working at least close to the level of Genom, and if they couldn't quite get there, I doubt they would be touting something like Adama as "advanced" when there are so clearly boomers who are more advanced, even if they aren't on the market much anymore.

No, BGC proper ended with Scoop Chase and Crash is nothing but run-off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9