• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animeboy12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
I think the reason why people hate on code geass is because of the wasted potential. This anime really could some insterest primise, plot, characters, and theme yet is gives in to cliches, and absurdness. Now, don't get me wrong I think it's a good anime but I just think that there was so much unexplored depth.

Perhaps if code geass took itself a little less seriously people would be more forgiving.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
I kinda view it like Druaga, a series with some really interesting serious bits, and with some completely absurd silly bits, and just don't try to reconsile the two bits or you might sprain something.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, this series can be cruel at times. spoiler[Shirley's death] was actually a little more upsetting than spoiler[Euphemia's death] since, at least in the latter case, you knew it was probably coming given the way the previous episode ended and thus had time to prepare yourself. This time they spring it on you with only a few seconds of warning. Will be interesting to see what the fall-out is from this. spoiler[Jeremiah turning] was also quite unexpected.

And did I miss something or is there an inconsistency in this episode? spoiler[Kallen was on the China status screen as apparently active early in the episode, but I thought her status was still up in the air since the series hasn't yet elaborated on Nunally's intent.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
As for what I said about Episode 12 that's not hyperbole, the only two TV series that I can remember being as bad are the final episodes of Gundam Seed Destiny, and Mai-Hime.

Interesting that you would mention a Gundam title, yet not mention ZZ Gundam and the Moon Moon episodes (yes, that's two "Moons").

Well, of course who in the states has actually SEEN ZZ Gundam? Besides, from what I hear ZZ Gundam was a kind of absurd parody of itself to begin with. I've never seen any of it, but I've heard that in the first episode, Bright Noa and his valiant crew fight off an enemy by throwing citrus fruits at them...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
As for what I said about Episode 12 that's not hyperbole, the only two TV series that I can remember being as bad are the final episodes of Gundam Seed Destiny, and Mai-Hime.

Interesting that you would mention a Gundam title, yet not mention ZZ Gundam and the Moon Moon episodes (yes, that's two "Moons").

I have never seen ZZ Gundam, but I have heard of how awful the Moon Moon episodes where.

Here's my point my problem is not only was the episode incredibly stupid, but it also had a bunch of characters acting out of character to make the episode stupid.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
From what I've heard, ZZ Gundam arguably gets more serious during its last half, so you could say all the initial comedy was Tomino's way to radically distance himself from how the previous series had turned out. A lot of people hate it for that reason, but he always seemed to alternate between moods, so to speak, to a greater or lesser degree. In the end, I happen to prefer his later works, like Turn A, which had a better balance, but I still intend to watch ZZ one day in spite of everything else.

animeboy12 wrote:

Perhaps if code geass took itself a little less seriously people would be more forgiving.

It's a no-win situation. I would argue that it already does, since the episode under discussion (12), two or three minutes aside, didn't even try to take itself seriously. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, different people have different tastes, but that's all.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I think people should stop focusing on these parts of the series. I mean, I'll be the first to say that I hate it when Code Geass does this type of thing (I see it as pointless crap to get fan boys and girls attention). But I just take the series for what it is. Don't expect it to be perfect or anything. Just watch it for what it is. I think that's why not to many people watch shows like Astro Boy anymore. People scrutinized it to much. Sure Geass has it's bad moments, but over all I think it's a good series and I look forward to watching the new episode every week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:

Doubt it. I'm sure that most of the people who hate Code Geass, hate it because it's popular. If it were just any other not so relevant show, then it wouldn't be hated as much. That's just how it is with every popular show.

I agree with Key that spoiler[Shirley's death was a lot more painful to watch than Euphemia's death. ]I watched last week's episode right before this one and the huge 180 that it took was pretty hard to take....

Key wrote:
And did I miss something or is there an inconsistency in this episode? spoiler[Kallen was on the China status screen as apparently active early in the episode, but I thought her status was still up in the air since the series hasn't yet elaborated on Nunally's intent.]

I noticed that too. Horray for continuity errors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Doubt it. I'm sure that most of the people who hate Code Geass, hate it because it's popular. If it were just any other not so relevant show, then it wouldn't be hated as much. That's just how it is with every popular show.

I can only speak for myself but, I stopped watching Code Geass because I just couldn't stand any of the characters anymore. Five episodes into R2 I found myself annoyed by how arrogant or dumb the characters have become. I can put up with plot problems; but if I don't like any of the characters, I just can't watch. After Bleach I'm done with Adult Swim for the night(I already own the other series they air after Geass).
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I noticed that too. I think (and this is a total guess BTW) that she is on that list because spoiler[she's still alive, or her death hasn't been confirmed.] As I said, just a guess.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch Code Geass because it's some anime on TV to watch, but I don't particularly like the show all that much.

I never understood why so many people followed it so intently. The only conclusion I could come to was that these people hadn't ever seen most mecha anime of the 90's.

It takes some angles on characters and the mecha genre in general that I'll admit are fresh, but overall Geass does almost nothing I haven't seen before. It's every tired anime cliche I've ever seen thrown into one production topped off with Shoujo character designs.

My problem though is that I haven't caught a truly good mecha anime since probably 08th MS. SEED disappointed and it's looking like 00 might as well. I hope Sunrise does something worthwhile this April for the 30th anniversary.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy it for the twists and politics and plotting, not so much the mecha. The mecha designs are actually kinda lame (although I do like those grapple things).
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
RedSwirl: As the saying goes, there's nothing new under the sun.

I've seen my fair share of anime by now and, at this point, I share the belief that originality in fiction can only be measured in degrees, not in absolute terms, as something completely and utterly unheard of rarely shows up (say, something like Kaiba, but even that show has its influences). In my opinion, it's all about how you combine a bunch of preexisting elements and, more importantly, the enjoyment someone can derive from the result.

If you want to disassemble their constituting elements, very few shows would have much originality left. You mentioned the 90's, but many of those series were inspired by their predecessors from the 80's and 70's, both inside and outside the mecha genre. The usual anime tropes have been around for decades, most of them aren't a recent invention.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quote
I noticed that, too, key. I was like WTF is Kallen back ? I was also a little surprised at the death of spoiler[ shirley, but knew it would be coming, since she regained her memories.] I was a little surprised at who killed spoiler[ her. He seemed to risk a lot just cause she brought up nunnally, if lelouche ever found out, and no doubt he will, there is going to be hell to pay] I was also surprised at spoiler[ Jeremiah turning ] Did not see that one coming. I wonder if Lelouch will have snapped after the death...
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I like how abrupt spoiler[Shirley's death] was. It made it allot more serial then some of the other deaths that have been seen in the series. And I'm looking forward to seeing the repercussions of spoiler[Rolo's actions. I'm sure that some interesting things will happen when Lelouch finds out.] I liked the episode allot, but I'm sensing Lelouch is going to become all depressed and whiny again after spoiler[Shirley dieing], or he might get all pissed off and start doing some crazy stuff. And, is it just me or is anyone ells thinking that it seems like Lelouch has just kind of forgot about Kallen? They need to get that whole thing settled already. I think she's been imprisoned for some time now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 49 of 60