• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
I've just noticed that Bamboo has revied Accel World and Saki Episode of Side A, but they don't appear under her name in the guide.

RyanSaotome wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Yes, ANN is paying Zac to troll. There's big money in professional trolling.

Honestly, some of the lines he says in these reviews are what I'd expect from people on /a/. And the fact he's gotten multiple 500+ plus topics on /a/ where people feel offended by his reviews and get all outraged kinda says the it is infact trolling, at least at the demographic he is making fun of.

"The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue."

I'd say this fits this well.

Somehow I pause at the idea of accepting LUNI_TUNZ as the recognized authority on the subject.

I sincerely doubt that Zac wrote those reviews in an effort to 'troll'; both, especially the latter, seem like exactly the sort of unfiltered reaction that the preview guide uses. The audience for them seems pretty clearly to be people who will find caustic, sarcastic reviews of shows like that amusing; everybody else is voluntary collateral damage.

Yet, in a way, they've functioned as trolling, because the /a/ crowd et al cannot let any slight against what they like stand and seemingly thrive on a sense of victimhood. If Zac was trolling, it's because some people are so ludicrously insecure and obsessive have made it so. And this is why they're looked down upon, not for what they like, but because of the titanic displays of furious defensiveness that they unhesitatingly resort to.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:40 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Can someone please start a new (preferably sticky) thread called 'Zac hurt my fragile otaku heart and i won't stop posting here until he repents!' or something like that, so that the rest of us can move on and get back on topic? Thank you. Rolling Eyes
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Honestly, some of the lines he says in these reviews are what I'd expect from people on /a/. And the fact he's gotten multiple 500+ plus topics on /a/ where people feel offended by his reviews and get all outraged kinda says the it is infact trolling, at least at the demographic he is making fun of.

Oh god.

I have to see this for myself. Reading butthurt is always hilarious. Looks like I'll hit /a/ later today.

The butthurt is strong, indeed what with the announcement of JC Staff and the production team who will be working on the Little Busters' adaptation. I still look forward to seeing it after hearing how good the story is, though. Hopefully it'll be ok, but that is a topic for another thread.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:35 am Reply with quote
The thing about the big odd moe trio of shows featuring non-moe subjects is that I grudgingly have to admit that whether or not the creators have created a good story, they have designed such adorable characters that it could maybe overpower the faults of that bad premise. Of the three I'm in three different stages.

Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos- I feel confident that I'll be watching this all season- it may actually be the most outrageous moe transformation but it also works the best. Her explanation works pretty well for such a story and even if it didn't, the focus is obviously so set on comedy that faults could be ignored in the same way that last year's Azezel-san could be forgiven- they're going for laughs, not accurate mythology.

Sengoku Collection- I'm giving it another episode or two. In this case I'm wondering if this will work as just another example of an otherworldly girlfriend moe show. Does it really matter that the moe girl is Oda Nobunaga? I'm not sure yet, the silliness of its premise may be outweighed by the cuteness of the girls, the quality of the comedy and if it can pull off little moments of earnestness like it did a couple times the first time.

Upotte- Dropping. this time the cuteness can't overcome the premise for me. My current facebook photo is of me in an open hoodie, showing off my "Melt The Guns" T-Shirt. Yes, I'm on that side of the gun control issue, so there's no way I'm watching a show that literally fetishizes assault rifles. No matter how cutely the girl blushes or how sweetly she can turn a tsundere "baka" phrasing.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Yet, in a way, they've functioned as trolling, because the /a/ crowd et al cannot seem to let any slight against what they like stand and seemingly thrive on a sense of victimhood.

It's very likely that somewhere around post 50 such threads weren't about Zac anymore. Contestants for what replaced it: "All moe is sh*t", "Old anime is good only because of nostalgia", "Can Shiki kill Servants?" (look it up), "No, you're a f*g", "Tea is so much better than coffee", "Dubs!".
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I've just noticed that Bamboo has revied Accel World and Saki Episode of Side A, but they don't appear under her name in the guide.

RyanSaotome wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Yes, ANN is paying Zac to troll. There's big money in professional trolling.

"The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue."

I'd say this fits this well.

Somehow I pause at the idea of accepting LUNI_TUNZ as the recognized authority on the subject.

Hi, my name is LUNI_TUNZ, and I'm the foremost authority on trolls.

That post was written as a reply to someone saying that it's not impossible for someone to post here who hates anime, just to troll, when the post he was replying to was specifically talking about Zac.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Oh god.

I have to see this for myself. Reading butthurt is always hilarious. Looks like I'll hit /a/ later today.

There are few are floating around right now. Also I have calmed down bit since yesterday so to anyone i am sorry for anything said out of context, my sincere apologies. Also chagen are you looking forward to Tsuritama and Eureka Seven AO??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Oh god.

There are few are floating around right now. Also I have calmed down bit since yesterday so to anyone i am sorry for anything said out of context, my sincere apologies. Also chagen are you looking forward to Tsuritama and Eureka Seven AO??

Maybe Tsuritama. Probably not AO, as I've not seen the original E7.

The shows I'm thinking of checking out this season are Medaka, Nyarko-San, Sengoku (yes it's terrible but Nobunaga is just so damn cute), Gakkatsu/Yurumates 3D, Kids on the Slope, Lupin III, and Acchi Kocchi.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac writes his honest impressions, and in a hilarious fashion. People need to check their butthurt at the door.

The only thing he's guilty of is being too apologetic towards certain people who can't help but be offended when somebody doesn't like their creepy tastes.

And stop acting like he's the only reviewer. Don't like what he said? Try another reviewer's perspective. There are plenty of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting butthurt over the gratuitous use of the word butthurt.

get a damn thesaurus!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Asspain? Rectal discomfort? Anus devestation?

Maybe it's better to leave people's rear ends completely out of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
look up the word "upset" Wink
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:

Oh god.

Maybe Tsuritama. Probably not AO, as I've not seen the original E7.

The shows I'm thinking of checking out this season are Medaka, Nyarko-San, Sengoku (yes it's terrible but Nobunaga is just so damn cute), Gakkatsu/Yurumates 3D, Kids on the Slope, Lupin III, and Acchi Kocchi.

yeah she is little cute however i prefer lo-san from Acchi Kocch. She is pure detention of moe~ archetype. I think kids on the slope, Upotte! "a pure guilty pleasure", MxG, Is this a Zombie 2, HYOUKA, Medaka Box, Sankarea and Haiyore! Nyaruko-san are my titles for spring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about Sankarea and Hyōka.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Asspain? Rectal discomfort? Anus devestation?

Maybe it's better to leave people's rear ends completely out of it.

Its kinda weird that people have a problem with a little bit of spit and don't seem to mind referring to ones fecal escape hatch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 47 of 69