• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
There a few things I want to talk about, so I'll try and keep this post clear and concise.

First, Accel World and Sword Art Online are both written by the same guy and are set in the same universe. Accel World is set later than Sword Art Online by at least a decade, I'd say, and probably more. Therefore, while it is possible that Heathcliff used a time-altering technique, I wonder how he had access to it.

Secondly, spoiler[Heathcliff winning was exactly what I expected. My other thought was that Heathcliff merely wanted to test Kirito and was willing to call it a draw after a few minutes, but him winning did not surprise me one bit. Kirito and the plot needed to move on, and him joining the guild was a good opportunity to do that.]

Thirdly, spoiler[Asuna should have finished the dude off. No, not initially, her hesitation was understandable. But his slash should have hit her - it wouldn't have been fatal, given the disparity in strength - then she should have picked up her sword and run him through. This would have made sense and been a more powerful defining character moment for her. She told Kirito she would protect him, and being willing to kill to protect him would have really shown how much she meant it. What we actually got was Kirito getting up and blocking the attack. It was silly (oh-so-convenient for the paralysis to completely wear off in time), it was boring, and as others have said it took the shine off Asuna's moment.] It also reinforced that as powerful as Asuna is, she always needs someone to save her, even when she doesn't need it.

Fourthly, it was stated in episode one that there is no pain in the game, so why Kirito was feeling it I have no idea. Possibly because the writing is severely inconsistent.

spoiler[Fifthly, how did Kirito lose an arm? If it was that easy to lose a limb, wouldn't we have seen that by now?] It just came out of nowhere, and it left me baffled.

Sixthly, I wish Kirito and Asuna had been on the same page right from the start about what was going to happen that night. spoiler[The way he worded it totally sounded like he wanted sex. She then punches him for being a twat - for the second time this series, although this time he totally deserved it - and then we get a did-they-didn't-they. My initial reaction was that they didn't - surely the mood would have been broken after Kirito's moronic line - but of course they did (if the Anime is following the source material)].

Seventhly, I wonder how Otaku are reacting to 'their' Asuna spoiler[having sex with another man?] After what happened with Kannagi and Ano Hana, I'd believe anything.

Eighthly, I am totally for Kirito and Asuna spoiler[getting married and leaving the guild. After all, the front lines are an extremely dangerous place, and Asuna's love for Kirito now exceeds her desire for the guild's comradeship.] I do buy their relationship, although I wish there had been more buildup. I also liked spoiler[the proposal scene itself], and I didn't begrudge Asuna for her tears; women are allowed to cry when they get proposed to. It isn't weak to be happy that spoiler[you're getting married].

Ninthly, and following on from the previous point, it is very common in stories for spoiler[the hero to run away (often with his love interest) for a time to try and live a normal life, only to be drawn back to the fight for one reason or the other. What will be interesting is his reason for going back. If he truly finds happiness living a safe and carefree life with Asuna then what would motivate him to go back to the front lines? Especially if he is now comparatively weaker than before due to no longer levelling up].

Tenthly, how do you spoiler[have sex in the game]? (And LOL, please don't give me a snide answer like "same way as in real life".) And wouldn't that mean that spoiler[rape is possible? If there is an 'sex yes/no menu' then couldn't a strong player force a weaker player to allow it, otherwise they'd be killed?] Food for thought.

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags, and I think this should be consistent with previous posts. - Key]
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
Ah, being a fan of the book, I was worried about how the anime would handle the sexual part of this chapter. It wasn't a masterpiece, but they managed not to butcher it, either.

I might be in the majority, but spoiler[Asuna doesn't have to kill another player for me to respect her. Yes, he deserved it and it wound up putting Kirito in the same position, but the fact she was able to make it in time and completely dismantle the opponent in a matter of seconds was still pretty damn heroic.

But yeah...I would have loved it even more if she had finished him herself.]

dtm42 wrote:

Sixthly, I wish Kirito and Asuna had been on the same page right from the start about what was going to happen that night. spoiler[The way he worded it totally sounded like he wanted sex. She then punches him for being a twat - for the second time this series, although this time he totally deserved it - and then we get a did-they-didn't-they. My initial reaction was that they didn't - surely the mood would have been broken after Kirito's moronic line - but of course they did (if the Anime is following the source material)].

There's a part from the book between spoiler[the face-punching scene and the bed scene] that was left out, understandably, I suppose, that ties them together much better than the anime did. I guess they were figuring the fans would connect the dots by the fact spoiler[Asuna was sleeping naked.]

Kirito's misunderstanding was actually totally believable in the context of the book spoiler[(being a solo player, he didn't realize having sex was even possible in the game while Asuna had long since heard of it from other players]

But yeah, in the context of the anime, without the explanation for Kirito's mistake...he totally came off like a jackass.

dtm42 wrote:

Tenthly, how do you spoiler[have sex in the game]? (And LOL, please don't give me a snide answer like "same way as in real life".) And wouldn't that mean that spoiler[rape is possible? If there is an 'sex yes/no menu' then couldn't a strong player force a weaker player to allow it, otherwise they'd be killed]? Food for thought.

Explained in the aforementioned part of the novel that was left out where spoiler[Asuna told kirito how to disable the adult content inhibitor, thereby allowing players to have sex.]

Really, think of it like the Matrix. The system essentially controls all of your five senses, being pretty much hooked into your brain. If the system allows it, your brain makes the experience real. In that sense, it's totally believable that spoiler[SAO players could have sex].

And to answer the second part, spoiler[rape is impossible in SAO. Even unwanted intimate contact is prohibited.] It isn't as simple as a yes/no request. in the book, spoiler[an icon appears whenever one player gets "too intimate" with another player, and it allows the player being touched to send the offender straight to jail. The very icon appears about Kirito's head when he kisses Asuna for the first time]

Yes, the irony that its spoiler[much easier to outright murder a player than it is to rape one] is not lost on me. Guess the game creator had to draw the line somewhere, lol

Yes, I realize the fact I'm citing source material that is not and probably will never be included in the anime does not speak well of the anime itself, but IMO they have done a good enough job that has allowed me to enjoy it nontheless.

[EDIT: Added spoiler tags. - Key]
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Seventhly, I wonder how Otaku are reacting to 'their' Asuna spoiler[having sex with another man]? After what happened with Kannagi and Ano Hana, I'd believe anything.

Thankfully this is not the case as the fans support Asuna's relationship with Kirito.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Pixelationist wrote:
It just seems like every second Asuna is on screen she is getting nerfed further from a badass and into a housewife. spoiler[Last couple eps she's shown us just how useful she is in the kitchen, had her honour defended by trenchcoat hunk, cried like a girly girl on his shoulders for like 5 mins straight after having her ass saved by him, and quit that prestigious guild to be at her man's beckon call.]

I'm not trolling here, but I honestly think this is a straight up terrible show. It's cheesy without being really fun, it's self serious without being remotely poignant. The design of the world feels super generic and without any distinctive visual features it can truly claim its own.

I feel like my main enjoyment of this show is the catharsis of being really annoyed by it.

Look, it's quite clear that you don't like the show, but if you're going to bother to criticize it at least base your criticisms on what actually happened, not your funky assumptions about what you think happened.

Geez, and here I thought the way this episode played out might actually put an end to some of the criticisms leveled against the series in this and other certain threads, but it seems like people are just looking for things to trash the series on. spoiler[Asuna saved Kirito here and utterly thrashed the guy in the process, proving quite definitively that she's not the doormat beholden to a Gary Stu for protection that naysayers have been insisting.] Clearly that wasn't enough to satisfy those who seem dead-set intent on continuing the sexism angle, though, so now we're complaining about spoiler[how Kirito had to finish the guy off when Asuna wouldn't]? Please. There's absolutely nothing wrong with spoiler[a player being reluctant to finish off another player - even one who's proven to be a dangerous murderer - and it's not like Kuradeel was going to take a full-health-barred, not-paralyzed Asuna out with a single blow anyway. IOW, Kirito didn't save her back so much as just do the dirty work.]

Oh, wait. So now we're complaining about Asuna getting all weepy and vulnerable over Kirito again? Why shouldn't she, when spoiler[he just about cashed out again - and would have, if she hadn't been so alert]? Gods, people, what are you expecting of her here? I'll grant you that the series went light on showing their relationship development, but given the way things played out in episode 9, I have no problem with how things are trending here with their relationship. It's what I wanted to see anyway. And, frankly, I'll be curious to see how this all goes over with Heathcliff.

And speaking on him, I find it curious that no one's commented on the duel and its outcome yet. Was that and the later events enough to spoiler[shake people's complaints about Kirito being a Gary Stu]?

My problem with Asuna as a character has nothing to do sexism, I just don't think she's that interesting. Her whole devotion to Kirito just comes off as being another lazily written male power fantasy devoid of substance, or perhaps just too rushed in terms of development like the show at large.

I hadn't seen ep10 at the time of writing my last post, and would admit that it was much more enjoyable than the few eps leading up to it. Yes, thank god Kirito is taken down a peg or two, he was become too god like to be empathetic, so it's good to see him struggle.

However I couldn't dismiss spoiler[the Asuna not being able to finish off the dude issue] so nonchalantly, I think this is definitely tied to the writer's view on what it means for a women to remain a pillar of innocence, that somehow this is still ultimately a man's job regardless of the situation. I'm not attacking that POV, but I think there is significance in why the writer chose to go this route.

I do actually think the development between the 2 leads is quite sweet, and almost wished that this was the premise from the get go so that by now we'd have a much deeper attachment to their relationship.

Look, SAO has been the talk of this season, so of course you're going to get some voices of dissent, and inevitably the backlash defence force. I say I'm annoyed by the show but I am interested in the discussion around it. The back and fourth between the fanboys and haters makes it worth kinda worth persevering with.

dtm42 wrote:
Seventhly, I wonder how Otaku are reacting to 'their' Asuna spoiler[having sex with another man]? After what happened with Kannagi and Ano Hana, I'd believe anything.

So what happened with Kannagi and Anohana? Memory is hazy but spoiler[there was no sex in either shows] were there? Please elaborate.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
Pixelationist wrote:
However I couldn't dismiss spoiler[the Asuna not being able to finish off the dude issue] so nonchalantly, I think this is definitely tied to the writer's view on what it means for a women to remain a pillar of innocence, that somehow this is still ultimately a man's job regardless of the situation. I'm not attacking that POV, but I think there is significance in why the writer chose to go this route.
So you are saying that she should have spoiler[killed a man who begging for his life]? Would you have done that? Because I can honestly say that I would not, and the importance of such a decision is something that I picked up from anime.

Some people give in to that urge, but when they do, they spoiler[become killers, they may not have technically murdered, but they killed when there could have been a better option. Hopefully no teenager should become a killer.] I do see that situation have not mattered with switching roles.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
Pixelationist wrote:
My problem with Asuna as a character has nothing to do sexism, I just don't think she's that interesting. Her whole devotion to Kirito just comes off as being another lazily written male power fantasy devoid of substance, or perhaps just too rushed in terms of development like the show at large.

LOL When you wrote that, did you realize that the second part completely contradicts the first? Cus that was one of the funnier posts I've read in a while Smile

In most of the threads we've posted in together you end up having a problem with sexism. So your post doesn't surprise me. But at least have the courage of your convictions and admit your a hardcore femmie Smile

In regards to that, you're not being fair to the characters in your assessments. As others have pointed out, spoiler[Asuna doesn't need Kirito's protection. It's much better clarified in the novels, but I think the anime does an acceptable job of showing that she's a complete badass. In fact, in a fight Kirito would have a tough go of it. Notice also how she says she's going to protect him. That's significant. Because, of the two characters, Kirito is the weakest mentally and emotionally.]

As for the part where spoiler[they decide to leave for Level 22, that had to do with battle weariness and not the whole "I shall abandon my occupation in order to be a good cooking/house-wife for you, Kirito-kun!" Again, it's better explained in the LNs but I still think you get the point here since they are talking about how tired they are.]

At any rate I guess my point is that I agree with Key that you seem (and I use the word seem very purposefully here) like you're manipulating the events to suit a sexism agenda.
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
Oh, and spoiler[as for the last episode where Kirito killed Kuradeel, the reason he did that was not because he was scared for her life but because he didn't want her to have to kill someone and feel what it feels like to know you've taken another persons life. It's something he found himself having to do in the past and he wanted to spare her that pain.]

I don't see that as sexist but something anyone would do for the one they love. I know I try and spare my family doing things I know they wouldn't be happy doing. So just because I take out the garbage so my wife is happy and doesn't have to do it (we need not mention that she demands I do it hehe), does that make me sexist? I don't think so. We call it partnership personally.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Oh, and spoiler[as for the last episode where Kirito killed Kuradeel, the reason he did that was not because he was scared for her life but because he didn't want her to have to kill someone and feel what it feels like to know you've taken another persons life. It's something he found himself having to do in the past and he wanted to spare her that pain.]

Except Kirito hasn't spoiler[killed anyone before the psycho in episode ten,] so I don't buy that.

Riddley wrote:
As for the part where spoiler[they decide to leave for Level 22, that had to do with battle weariness and not the whole "I shall abandon my occupation in order to be a good cooking/house-wife for you, Kirito-kun!" Again, it's better explained in the LNs but I still think you get the point here since they are talking about how tired they are.]

I thought it was explained fine in the Anime. They are in love, are finding the front lines increasingly difficult and want to be with one another in relative peace and safety. Also, there's not much time to bone if they are fighting all the time . . . heh.

Pixelationist wrote:
So what happened with Kannagi and Anohana? Memory is hazy but there was no sex in either shows were there? Please elaborate.

Basically, in Kannagi fans went ballistic when it was revealed that spoiler[a centuries-old goddess had had a previous boyfriend. Yeah, in our eyes it is perfectly natural for an immortal goddess to have had previous relationships, but it was a shock to some pathetic Otaku who felt betrayed. The nature of the relationship wasn't even revealed (i.e. it wasn't stated if they did the deed or not), but many fans nevertheless decided that Kannagi herself was now "used goods"] and a few of them even destroyed their merchandise in protest.

With Ano Hana, one of the next-episode previews showed Anaru spoiler[seemingly going into a love-hotel with a boy.] Of course, this didn't actually happen, but the damage was done; thousands of Otaku had cancelled their pre-orders on Amazon for the show before the next episode aired. Ano Hana still ended up a massive success; as of this post it is the thirty-first best-selling Anime series of all time (and the twentieth if only initial releases are being counted). It is also the best-selling noitaminA show ever. But yet again, fans thought that they owned a female character and got disproportionately upset when events (or perceived events) didn't go their way.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
@Riddley

Haha, I see how that comes off a bit contradictory, let me clarify. I don't find the power fantasy aspect distasteful so much as lazy. Heck I'm a hetro man, I am not adverse to a bit of pandering in my entertainment, but I just feel like there's nothing inherently interesting about her character outside of the context of Kirito.

And yes, that bit where they both spoiler[expressed their tiredness] was very sweet, it seems to be foreshadowing something tragic to come.

It's funny that you called me out as a hardcore feminist, whilst I wouldn't go that far, I do admit that I am fascinated by gender politics in general, and find myself scrutinising that aspect of shows quite often.

Last edited by Pixelationist on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
4nBlue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Riddley wrote:

Except Kirito hasn't spoiler[killed anyone before the psycho in episode ten,] so I don't buy that.

This was covered in the light novel.

SAO vol.1 chapter 15:
Quote:
«Laughing Coffin» used to be the biggest and worst PK guild in Aincrad. They were headed by a cold, sly leader and experimented endlessly with new methods of killing people; in the end, the number of players it had killed went into the triple digit figures.

The players once attempted to solve the issue through negotiations, but every messenger had been killed immediately. We couldn't even understand why they PKed, since it only lessened the chances of clearing the game, and because of this we couldn't talk with them properly. Not too long ago, the players who aimed to clear the game had formed a subjugation group that rivaled the boss-killing groups, and finally destroyed their guild after several long and bloody battles.

Asuna and I were in the group too. But the information had leaked somewhere, and the PKers were prepared and waiting for us. In my frenzy to protect my comrades, I ended up taking the lives of two Laughing Coffin members by accident.

While the translation has several mistakes (like the original text mentioning only one messenger and battle), the number of PKers he killed in that battle is correct.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
Well here's a pickle. If the Anime hasn't covered or even mentioned that incident, does it even exist (in the Anime)? Except in special circumstances like the did-they-didn't-they, where either option can be true and the source material just confirms it, I really don't like referring to source material. I want the Anime to tell its story and if the source material is needed to plug in a hole then that's not good enough.

Luckily, in this case it isn't a plot hole as such, so it doesn't need filling. I fully accept why spoiler[the evil prick wasn't killed straight away], the Anime doesn't need the aforementioned incident to justify Kirito's and Asuna's actions. But it does mean that in the Anime spoiler[Kirito has only killed one person thus far instead of three].
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Thirdly, spoiler[Asuna should have finished the dude off. No, not initially, her hesitation was understandable. But his slash should have hit her - it wouldn't have been fatal, given the disparity in strength - then she should have picked up her sword and run him through. This would have made sense and been a more powerful defining character moment for her. She told Kirito she would protect him, and being willing to kill to protect him would have really shown how much she meant it. What we actually got was Kirito getting up and blocking the attack. It was silly (oh-so-convenient for the paralysis to completely wear off in time), it was boring, and as others have said it took the shine off Asuna's moment.] It also reinforced that as powerful as Asuna is, she always needs someone to save her, even when she doesn't need it.

Tenthly, how do you spoiler[have sex in the game]? (And LOL, please don't give me a snide answer like "same way as in real life".) And wouldn't that mean that spoiler[rape is possible? If there is an 'sex yes/no menu' then couldn't a strong player force a weaker player to allow it, otherwise they'd be killed?] Food for thought.

I agree 100% that spoiler[Asuna should have killed off Kuradeel.] I think it would have been so much more interesting for her character development if she had. They could have used that as a moment of reflection for her... spoiler[maybe in real life, she had seen someone die and promised never to take a person's life or something... maybe she could become deeply disturbed after doing it and need comforting from her love interest.] That kind of stuff I think would have made her a deeper character. I agree that it was a disappointment to let Kirito take all of the "glory" so to speak and do the deed himself. It spared Asuna the pain, but pain creates depth.

spoiler[Also, I hadn't even thought so much about the fact that they could have sex in game...] It seems like another physical act which I could add to my list of physical actions which seem allowable in safe zones.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I agree that it was a disappointment to let Kirito take all of the "glory" so to speak and do the deed himself. It spared Asuna the pain, but pain creates depth.

Disagree with this. Asuna actually was hurt deeply that she indirectly forced Kirito to kill him because of her one moment of hesitation. In hindsight, she would have been spared more pain had she done it herself.

Both of them seem more hurt by the hadrships the other goes through than their own.

The moment did serve a purpose, though, because it led to the events that caused their relationship to take a major step. Does that happen if she finishes the guy off herself? Maybe....but maybe not.

FYI, had the situations been reversed, I could easily see Kirito being the one hesitating to finish off a man begging for his life, and Asuna being the one to deal the killing blow in a panic to save his life.

Asuna and Kirito are really two sides of the same coin, the only difference being Kirito is slightly stronger. For that reason, Asuna's hesitation really didn't bother me. It wasn't weakness that caused her to hesitate, it was her humanity.

Last edited by Bugnin on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:35 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
If you really think there's no possible other way to interpret the two points I was discussing here other than your opinion then I guess I shouldn't keep trying to discuss it with you and i'll leave you be on that.

If I'm not willing to listen to further arguments on an issue then I'll bluntly say "I'm done with this" or something like that. Anything short of that means I'm still open to hearing out arguments, even if there's little chance that I'll accept that viewpoint. Posting in forums would be boring if everyone always agreed, after all. That's why this is actually my favorite series discussion thread in quite some time. Wink

In retrospect, though, it does seem like the eye-rolling emoticon came across as needlessly rude, and I do apologize for that.

Quote:
Oh yea, on a side note I do think it's kind of weird that both of us seemed to like the last few episodes but have been disagreeing so much on certain aspects of them lol.

Not at all. You have clearly stated that you like the past few episodes despite what you perceive as certain major problems, while I either am not acknowledging them as big problems (because I interpret them a different way) or am willing to overlook them. That's pretty common in series discussion threads, in fact.

Pixelationist wrote:

Fair enough, although (as I've stated previously) I'm instead of the mind that Kirito is the one who isn't that interesting as a character unless Asuna is around to interact with.

Quote:
However I couldn't dismiss spoiler[the Asuna not being able to finish off the dude issue] so nonchalantly, I think this is definitely tied to the writer's view on what it means for a women to remain a pillar of innocence, that somehow this is still ultimately a man's job regardless of the situation.

Boy, I think you're reading way too much into that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
I'd add that Kirito and Asuna aren't necessarily flat characters, but their relationship is what makes the story work. They are without a doubt more appealing as a duo.

Last edited by Bugnin on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 43 of 274