• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Suspends Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray Production

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
I really had no intention of ever getting involved with the Dragon Ball universe, but TRSI had the five seasons of DB supah cheap, so I went what the hey. Now I'm hoping that getting those won't make feel I *need* to have the Dragon boxes. It would kill me to know I could have gotten them cheaply at one point but now am faced with OOP prices.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
My husband and I had been talking about wanting to purchase Dragon Ball Z at the time that FUNimation announced the Blu-ray releases. We already knew we didn't want the orange bricks, so we debated between the Dragon Boxes and the Blu-rays. In the end, the Dragon Boxes won out, because seeing how few episodes were being included on the Blu-rays, we knew it would take quite a while for all of the episodes to be released in that format.

I'm happy to report that we completed our Dragon Box collection when Dragon Box Seven arrived in the mail from Amazon back on Monday. We were able to get most of the boxes from Amazon for under $40. The only exception was Dragon Box Two, because it was already gone and the copies that were being sold had what we felt to be exorbitant prices. We found Dragon Box Two for around $90 at Robert's Anime Corner Store, and ended up buying it from there. While that was still higher than we had really wanted to pay, it was the CHEAPEST price we could find.

After hearing this news, it makes me glad we went the Dragon Box route and managed to get all of the boxes before too many of them had gone up to over $100 at Amazon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
I don't know if they can legally do it, but I wouldn't mind them jumping straight to the Majin Buu saga, restoring it, and calling in DBZ Kai and releasing it.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I really had no intention of ever getting involved with the Dragon Ball universe, but TRSI had the five seasons of DB supah cheap, so I went what the hey. Now I'm hoping that getting those won't make feel I *need* to have the Dragon boxes. It would kill me to know I could have gotten them cheaply at one point but now am faced with OOP prices.

But just think of how lonely and incomplete your collection is going to look and feel with just the DB sets there and no DBZ! Especially when you see how nifty looking the Dragon Boxes are. They form a panoramic shot when they're all placed together! How can you resist? Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Blood- wrote:

But just think of how lonely and incomplete your collection is going to look and feel with just the DB sets there and no DBZ! Especially when you see how nifty looking the Dragon Boxes are. They form a panoramic shot when they're all placed together! How can you resist? Very Happy

You truly are a creature of ultimate evil, aren't you? Wink Is this pay-back for me being instrumental in your decision to buy any premium edition that NISA puts out? Touché.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I was looking forward to getting the Majin Buu arc to follow up my Dragon Ball Z Kai Blu-rays.

And if you ask me, I think FUNi did a better job remastering DBZ than Toei did when they made Z Kai. I'd have liked them to restored Z Kai to that glory instead.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
I wonder how long it will take for them to research various technologies before they can proceed.
rubedo11

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Well I only managed to get the first dragonbox, so now the only options available are the orange bricks which I've never heard a good thing about, and the Buu-less, Faulconer-less kai set D: .. Frustrating.. especially considering how easy it was to pick up the entire series of yu yu hakusho on blu ray for $65
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:
I wonder how long it will take for them to research various technologies before they can proceed.

As long as it takes for a cheaper technology (that likely won't do as good a job) to come along.
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't think anyone's attempted to make a new transfer of a show this long before. Movies and OVAs are no brainers for remastering, and the longest other show that comes to mind is Yu Yu Hakusho. Legend of the Galactic Heroes, of similar length to YYH, wasn't a new transfer for the BluRay, but instead an upscale of the DVD masters. Most longer TV shows to get full BD treatment are usually 50 episodes, like Zeta Gundam, ZZ, Patlabor, or Card Captor Sakura at 70 episodes; so near 300 episodes of material is a really ambitious effort. We are starting to see tons more normal length shows come out as well: Tylor, Escaflowne, Nadia; but they're all fractions of the length of a long running shounen fighting series. Maybe they should have put this off until after the Dragon Boxes became old hat?

Maybe they have some friends at Paramount that could accidently mix the DBZ film in with their ST:TNG reels.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
By the by, what is the lowdown on orange bricks that nobody seems to like? What's wrong with them?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
By the by, what is the lowdown on orange bricks that nobody seems to like? What's wrong with them?

They're old, so shoddy and overfiltered video quality. And I think that was also the cropped widescreen set.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

The video is in cropped 16:9 & with the first few sets, they went heavy with the DVNR which resulted in things like this & this.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I hope FUNimation finds a cheaper way to remaster Dragon Ball Z, I really want to get the Majin Buu saga. And it's great that they're putting the American ost in them.

Did you hear that weaboos? Someone out there actually prefers the American DBZ and is WILLING to pay for it.

And regarding the cropped versions. If you don't like them, then don't buy it and stop complaining. We get it, it sucks. Now they fixed that problem because of all the complaints. Quit being cheap and buy the blu-rays that doesn't have the problems that the DVD's had. That'd make them hurry up even more to get the rest of it out if sales are good.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
I hope FUNimation finds a cheaper way to remaster Dragon Ball Z, I really want to get the Majin Buu saga. And it's great that they're putting the American ost in them.

Did you hear that weaboos? Someone out there actually prefers the American DBZ and is WILLING to pay for it.

If you want to buy pieces of garbage then go ahead. It's your money! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
And regarding the cropped versions. If you don't like them, then don't buy it and stop complaining. We get it, it sucks. Now they fixed that problem because of all the complaints. Quit being cheap and buy the blu-rays that doesn't have the problems that the DVD's had. That'd make them hurry up even more to get the rest of it out if sales are good.

No thanks, i have my Dragon Boxes to keep me happy since it's all of Dragon Ball Z in it's full presentation (with next episode previews (& GT's) included & completely unmolested video). No point in re-buying the show when those Blu-ray sets has pretty much the same quality as the old DVD singles.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, I was afraid of this. I was really hoping the orange bricks weren't too ghastly since that would be a considerably cheaper alternative to the Dragon Boxes. I wonder what the chances of the Dragon Boxes being re-released at some point are?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6