• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gainax controversial stance on the industry and fansubs.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
No kidding. Besides, all of them (besides Soul Eater, which is kinda guaranteed a license) are licensed, and it's generally kinda hard to not hear about those (Gurren Lagann merely being licensed got tons of buzz and it's on TV to boot, Darker than Black has a lot of people talking on forums, and Baccano is being heavily discussed in the Funimation podcasts).

There are tons of ways (and better ways, since fansubs don't actually tell you if the anime is licensed or not) of finding out about licensed anime. This site, the animeondvd forums, anime magazines, etc.
But why are a lot of people talking about Darker than Black on forums? Couldn't be because of fansubs, could it? Why did Gurren Lagann get so much buzz, cheers, and applause when it initially got licensed? Fansubs again. Why did the Ouran cast announcement event pack a huge room at aX, when Gen Fukunaga didn't think it'd be more than 1/3 full? I don't think I need to say it, though the Viz manga release may have contributed.

Sure, there are plenty of ways to find out about anime before it gets released in R1, but many of those ways boil down to indirect use of fansubs. Look at AnimeOnDVD's General Anime forum on any given day; 2/3 of the threads will be about series currently being released in fansubs. (A similar proportion applies at this forum as well.) ANN's preview guides? Fansub-based. Wikipedia summaries? Probably fansub-based. Blogs and fan reviews of complete series? Definitely fansub-based. Sure you might not be downloading those fansubs yourself, but if they didn't exist, that information wouldn't be out there.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
gasteropod wrote:
I think a hundred dollars for a 13-episode series is ridiculous (and that's before postage to England, where I'd be likely to get a large customs charge on top of that), but cheers.
There are always other options. The R4 Madman set for example. It retails for less than £25 (not including postage) and I'm sure you could finder cheaper if you looked at sites such as ezydvd.com.au . It amazes me that people seem to be unable or unwilling to find this stuff.
Some Guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Ok, here is something I dont understand. If just the subbing part of anime distribution doesnt take to long why dont see subtitles only dvds? Or perhaps even better why dont we see legal digital distribution methods by the companies of sub only material?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Some Guy wrote:
Ok, here is something I don't understand. If just the subbing part of anime distribution doesnt take to long why don't see subtitles only dvds? Or perhaps even better why don't we see legal digital distribution methods by the companies of sub only material?
"Why don't we see sub-only DVDs?" Ever heard of shows like Gurren Lagann, Loveless, Sukisho, Girl's High, Kashimashi, Strawberry Panic, Otoboku, Simoun, Ramen Fighter Miki, Sentimental Journey, Seraphim Call, Toward the Terra, Rocket Girls, Emma, Aria, The Virgin Mary is watching you, Super Gals Season 2, and the entire Bandai Visual USA catalogue? Those all came out on sub-only DVD. As for why it's not done more often, check out the last paragraph of this post for my thoughts on why separate sub-only and dual-language DVD releases are a headache for retailers and consumers alike.

Regarding legal downloads, there's just a lot of legal red tape in the way, from DRM negotiations to Japanese companies that are reluctant to allow R1 companies to try new means of distribution.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
Really, sub-only should be kind of like OEM hardware. You shouldn't ever see it in stores (aside from kitchy import stype places), and if anime companies don't want to ship individual orders out to customers directly then they can either sell them through the online branches of retail outlets (for example you could buy them through Best Buy.com or something), or I'm sure at the very least some of the more boutique anime-interest online retailers would be willing to stock them.

All the translators would need to do is translate and burn the discs. They could make the process even cheaper by having no packaging (beyond a simple slip cover thing and envelope), or just reusing the default packaging.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5