• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV, Tokyopop Discontinue DVD, Print Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Thank god I got 5CM/Sec when I did
Delpheno

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the biggest worry are 5 Centimeters Per Second and Best Student Council.
SugarPrincess125

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Well it looks like that Nosatsu Junkie isn't going to be coming out after all.... *Sigh* But no loss, I'll just buy NJ in its original language.

Well, at least Onii-chan to Issho and VBRose isn't on the list....yet. I'm just getting started on buy TP titles,

Last edited by SugarPrincess125 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:19 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
samuel:
Quote:
There's no blu-ray release in Japan.

But that can't be, because ADV is in "trouble", and it could never get anything on BD first like FUNimation or Bandai. Razz

Anyway, I can't wait for those low-selling Sojitz titles under ADV to do even worse under FUNimation, since they were so niche in the first place, and ADV only took them, because it was likely forced to sell them to get the good stuff. And Gurren Lagaan fans are going to find out that their show is just as niche and unsuccessful as Gaogaigar. Oh, and that crappy DBZ live-action movie will tank, and probably hurt whatever merchandise tie-ins FUNimation and Bandai hoped to sell off of it, while ADV's live-action Eva movie will be an unexpected hit like V for Vendetta or 300. And Bandai Entertainment will probably be stuck with slightly marked down copies of Bandai Visual's niche shows they'll have to sell at unprofitable prices just to get them off the shelves. Meanwhile, as Bandai and FUNimation's stocks take hits, companies like Sojitz will continue extorting N. American companies for more average titles to flood the market, rather than playing ball. So thanks for taking that monkey off ADV's back, Gen and Robert. Rolling Eyes

Tornado:
Quote:

As for NTUSA, Kadokawa Shoten was concerned that the magazine wasn't reaching to a broader base and that they already decided to pull the plug on it in September 2007,

I pretty much figured that. They probably should have tailored it a little more to sell more copies, but they're too otaku-ey for the American market, while Otaku U.S.A. is ironically more fan-friendly.
[Though a decrease in Daryl's prima donna antics on AWO would make it more fan-friendly, IMHO...]
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:57 am Reply with quote
Oh jeez, I do suppose I should pick up 5 cm/second, but then, I'm sure my FYE won't run out anytime soon. I'd honestly like to say that they still have some volumes of Geneon titles that have been sold out at righstuf and what not for some time now. Anywho, when I first saw "Tokyopop discontinue...print titles" I prayed that Twelve Kingdoms wasn't on the list. Luckily it's not, and although I don't know the specific figures, I imagine Twelve Kingdoms sold at least decently so stopping it wouldn't make too much sense.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote
Well this certainly dashes my hopes for a 5cm release where I am. Perhaps I should get the R2 version while stocks last.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RaiMidori

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
Awww, geez. To think that they'd cancel 5cm, as well. The way I see it, though, it just seems that 5cm and the other films and etc. would do just fine if they marketed them better, but seeing as they look rather short of the funds to go full-scale, all-out marketing, it's just a deadly circle.

I just hope ADV finds a solution soon, or else Funimation will have a bit of a monopoly over the industry... >.<
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
samuel:
Quote:
There's no blu-ray release in Japan.

But that can't be, because ADV is in "trouble", and it could never get anything on BD first like FUNimation or Bandai. Razz

All I meant was that since there was no Japanese release, and no R1 release either, that whatever it was had to have been made internally by ADV or Gonzo itself.

Although I'm pretty sure Bandai has never released anything on Blu-ray that hasn't already been released in Japan and the only thing Funi has released so far are decades old dragonball movies.
sdsyukichan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh come on. Beyond the Beyond has like 2 volumes left, why cancel it now? D:

Thankfully nothing else I'm collecting is listed.
nx6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
Why would they drop 5 Centimeters Per Second?

Wasn't that movie a top-seller?

Warnings before they just immediatly discontinue things would be nice! Confused

It's not like the title is going to be pulled from store shelves, they just wont get any new ones.

So this is your warning. Go buy it now before it runs out.

I agree though, it does seem like a weird title to discontinue.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
I have to run out and get 5cm then. truthfully I don't care about anything else. The whole situation is bad though. But I know that there's only one true thing that will make us sure of adv going under. When they lose evangelion...Then the sky is falling so far their true top tiers are still in their possession the ones they released anyway. Maybe there is hope. Greg Ayres is somewhere saying "I told you so" and al khan is having a good laugh.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
ARGGH!!! Best Student Council?!?!?!
Grrr....
I hope someone else picks this up and releases a thinpack release for it...

THIS BITES!!!

Agreed. This title seemed to fall through the cracks of their transition to box-on-2 releases and never got one, leaving the only hope on a thinkpak. Must keep hope alive or buy unboxed singles ... *shudder*
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Tokyopop. After spending $120+tax on twelve volumes of Queen's Knight, you give me the middle finger. No more money for you.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
and is it definite that they have cancelled BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (want to read that one so much)?

Rightstuf lists a release date of 12/12/2012 for volume 13. Hopefully it's just delayed and not outright canceled.

Looks like I'll have to move up my purchase of 5 cm/s. If I find BSC and IV for good enough price, I'll probably pick those up too. On Tokyopop's side, I was only interested in Kindaichi Case Files. Looks like I won't be getting it after all. And no news is good news on the part of Twelve Kingdoms.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
And no news is good news on the part of Twelve Kingdoms.

Well some news seems better than others, wrote:
Also, when asked about Kodansha's entry into US manga publishing, it is expected that Tokyopop-licensed Kodansha properties such as the Twelve Kingdoms novels will be unaffected.

Granted the question was about Kodansha. But the fact that they answered with Twelve Kingdoms as an example gives me a great amount of hope.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6