• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-04-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

Hey. It's not my fault that I'm a productive member of the outside world and you aren't.

Hey, I got a better idea: Send me $525 monthly for my rent and start buying me food. Then, maybe, your insults might sting a bit more.

Alright, that's it son, you're on the bench for the next 4 games! I'm sending a note to your parents and don't expect to get to go to the away games with the rest of the team. Hit the showers.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
I guess that's really my 'bigger issue' with anime; a lot of it builds fun, then makes dubious grabs at 'seriousness' that often feel ill-contrived and awfully adolescent, as well as unearned by previous story depth. There are certainly works that blend elements together successfully, but there's also a big portion that seem unsatisfied just giving the viewer a good time (be it comedy or pathos) and reach beyond their means. Some of it is Asian culture mixes screwball comedy with pathos at a pace/proportion jarring to Western viewers.

Oh, I don't disagree with this at all, I just don't agree that the negative case applies with Mahoromatic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
8JF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Where do you hang the Vader mask in the office, Zac? Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's really no getting around this and it isn't only anime fans guilty of behaving this way; fans of everything are like this too. I can understand taking (extremely) mild offense when someone slams a movie or a band you really love, but it's important to remember, they're not insulting you (unless they are, in which case they're being douchebags), they're commenting on a media artifact.

Thinking rationally one realises this is true, but as someone who's guilty of such a crime I find it near impossible to feel that the attack isn't personal- regardless of the fact that the critics' arguments are better reasoned than my defence, it hurts just as much. Why it does I can't explain, but I feel that to maturely accept the arguments being presented against a given anime would be to risk losing the passion I feel towards it.
I am single.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

DRWii wrote:
louieatrest wrote:
You know, Hamlet could have been a really great play if it wasn't for the ending. I mean you spend three hours getting to know the characters and then they all die, just as they were starting to understand each other.

Its Shakespeare. Even if you do like his stuff, its kind of supposed to be a bummer at the end.

I think that was sarcasm.

Yeah, that was definitely sarcasm. I'm believe he's satirizing the complaint against the Mahoromatic ending, though it could apply to FMA to a lesser degree as well.

Sorry. I can get kind of stupid sometimes.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
HitorikiShadow wrote:
I really need to rewatch the anime, but I still don't remember Matthew even appearing in the anime. Maybe they did explain a little bit of how it happened. Still, my issue with the epilogue is more the portrayal of Suguru and the complete shaft of almost all of the side characters.

To deal with the first part of your point, it's easy to not completely understand what you're seeing in that final episode because spoiler[Mahoro looks like Matthew. In the manga Matthew explains that she was actually patterned off of the same person that Matthew was, while the anime gives more of the impression that Mahoro is an independent incarnation of Matthew. Thus, when it looks like Mahoro is appearing in the nude in that final episode, that's actually Matthew, and that's why Suguru's grandfather makes the comment at one point about how Mahoro has "the soul of SAINT." When she dies, she reintegrates with Matthew, who decides to split her off again and send her back to Suguru 20 years later.] Concerning your second point, see below.

spoiler[The thing is, I just don't recall Matthew being in the anime at all. If she was, then the ending begins to make a bit more sense. I'm not saying you are wrong, I just don't remember it at all.]

Key wrote:

[stuff I completely agree with removed]

And that's why the last episode of Something More Beautiful fits. Both series devoted so much behind-the-humor effort to setting up the tragic situation and Suguru's gradual acceptance of, and reliance on, Mahoro as a replacement for the family he's lost that spoiler[Suguru feeling deeply betrayed by Mahoro going away just as his parents did, despite Mahoro's tearful promise at the end of the first season] isn't at all inconsistent behavior or storytelling. That the story "gives the shaft" to some of the supporting cast (something partly corrected in the manga, incidentally) shouldn't be a big issue, either, since this series was always about Suguru and Mahoro anyway.

spoiler[Suguru's personality in the last episode is understandable. I don't think its unreasonable that he turned out that way and I never said it was inconsistent. As you were writing this part in response to someone else, maybe that part wasn't aimed at me, but I just want to be clear on that. My issue with Suguru in the epilogue is purely that I just didn't like him. This may be my Manga First bias coming into play, but regardless, I just didn't like his personality there. The series may have been about Suguru and Mahoro, but that doesn't mean they can't get some token appearances in by the side characters.]

In case it wasn't clear, I didn't particularly like the epilogue, but it was hardly a bad one either. I just think it could have been much better. Like the manga. Razz

Goodpenguin wrote:

I guess that's really my 'bigger issue' with anime; a lot of it builds fun, then makes dubious grabs at 'seriousness' that often feel ill-contrived and awfully adolescent, as well as unearned by previous story depth. There are certainly works that blend elements together successfully, but there's also a big portion that seem unsatisfied just giving the viewer a good time (be it comedy or pathos) and reach beyond their means. Some of it is Asian culture mixes screwball comedy with pathos at a pace/proportion jarring to Western viewers. Or I'm just old, cranky, and like to complain, either works. Wink

Like Key, I agree that this can be an issue at times, but I don't think Mahoromatic is such a case. The serious elements were always there and there was never, ever any reason to believe spoiler[that Mahoro would live. She was on a timer from the beginning as every single episode reminds the viewer. The series didn't go from happy-go-lucky comedy for 20 episodes and then suddenly pull out the angst, the darker side was always there and it slowly became a bigger element as the series progressed.]

Quark wrote:

Okay, I gotta speak up here, cause there has to be someone here other than Key who will defend poor Mahoromatic.

Hey now, don't just ignore me because I had a few things I didn't care for in the epilogue. Smile
ilkz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
How does bunch bunnies arrange in a circle like that. Its a very low probability event. I mean, they are not that kind buffalo or just sick bunnies? Confused
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
Hey Zac, what are those figures that you have on your desk? It looks like Iron Man, Darth Vader, and I can't tell about the other two smaller ones.

I don't know. I can kinda understand people not liking when people say bad things about the shows they like. If you like something it is only natural to want others to agree. Nobody wants to hear somebody say that something they think is good isn't. Of course, you shouldn't get mad over it. In fact as long as they keep their criticism civil you should be able to have a perfectly reasonable discussion about it.

ilkz wrote:
How does bunch bunnies arrange in a circle like that. Its a very low probability event. I mean, they are not that kind buffalo or just sick bunnies? Confused

If you look closely there are a bunch of seeds or pellets or something on the ground between them. It's tough to tell because they're almost the same color as the ground. They're all in a circle because they're all trying to get at them.

I can't say that I really get a sense of community out of being an anime fan. The thing is that anime fans really seem to have very little common ground. I'm not just talking about all the petty little internet arguments. Anime is so diverse and attracts such a variety of interests. When it comes to the majority of anime fans, them and I don't even have any real common interests.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Hey Zac, what are those figures that you have on your desk? It looks like Iron Man, Darth Vader, and I can't tell about the other two smaller ones.

The smaller ones are Battlestar Galactica minimates, Gaius Baltar and Six.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quote
Hey Answer Fan wrote:
Do you feel any real sense of community among your fellow fans?
What fellow fans? If they are not on forums like this, they don't exist. In my community I'm obliged to ring a bell hung on a long stick and proclaim "anime fan", to which people bring their children in, close and lock their doors, and window shutters, or stand far away from me shake their heads as they mutter amongst themselves, and throw sticks and stones, and insult, or ridicule me, with the women covering their mouths in disgust, or turning their backs to me. I have been tarred by the same brush. Crying or Very sad
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
Be glad they haven't made you wear a scarlet 萌 on your clothes, yet, Mohawk52.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
Lots of discussion of Mahoromatic, I remember catching the trailer for it on some Geneon disc, the trailer started out darkly, for a good minute and half, then suddenly switched gears for another minute or so, I replayed it to make sure that it wasn't two different shows.

So, I put it on the Netflix queue. After watching, I picked up the set. It tops my list of surprisingly good anime (especially given the premise). The Mahoro countdown at the end of each episode was a very effective story hook that keeps you coming back, and provides reference to all the events in the story (like the previously mentioned festival episode).

I personally thought they nailed the ending perfectly, it was a little jarring, and I had to watch it twice in a row to catch everything, but it just seemed to fit for me.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

I don't think it's a bad idea, the site's pretty basic in terms of info. Overall, I don't think most fans had any idea when digital distribution of fansubs started just what kind of thing it would evolve into. I guess fans were naive, explaining it away with "fans will support it when it's licensed", which is becoming less the case [and now naive in the "it's not hurting if I download" sense].

This is further complicated by when you google Save Our Anime, the first few hits are a YouTube channel to "save" anime from being removed on YouTube. You'd think they'd understand the people who create the anime itself are removing it, but then again some fans have really thick skulls. The crayons, they are dull.

I mean, I never meant to say it was a purely a bad idea but I have to agree with Zac that it's already a polarized issue full of the same arguments, which have done little to win over small amounts of fans. It doesn't present any new information or any new points to try and win more fans over.

I'd agree with your assertion that any of us during the early days of digital distribution it'd get this out of hand but I think the explosion in digital distribution was also coupled with an explosion of fandom and the Internet broke down a lot of the "traditions" of earlier fandom generations and have changed it a lot. It were changes that none of us really expected.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I must say it did take a while for me to stop being upset over evangelion. Not only because the series itself had a ridiculous ending but The movie was kinda disappointing too. But we all know the evangelion argument and even though we all hate the end we still continue too be fans so moving on to the other shows that bothered me with their endings.

this ugly yet beautiful world- yet another gainax title that starts out wonderfully and manages to have fan service in it without making it the complete focus and losing the story behind it. For the first 10 and a half episodes I loved it then at the end of episode 11 when the story began to unravel it's self I became disappointed spoiler[ Not because of hikari's role or takeru's decisions but because it felt like at the very end they threw the rest of the characters to the side in a way that's unacceptable for a romance anime. I mean what's with ryo telling Akari that they were like family when it was apparent they were in love at the beginning . I don't even think that they stayed very true to mari's character in the end but needed a a to resolve her situation. ] This is just my opinion though many people like the way this series ended.
This might have been the thing that made me not completely watch Mahoromatic.

Eureka Seven- Not really a true upset but spoiler[ We know that renton and eureka will be together for ever but It would have been nice too see what happened to everybody else afterward.] It's too much of a spoiler but just in case.
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Love the bunny picture. I love The Vision of Escaflowne, but the ending left something to be desired. We wait for 25 episodes for spoiler[Van and Hitomi to finally realize they love each other, and just as their about to kiss, the scren goes white. Oh and then Hitomi goes home].

Escaflowne's ending was good. The only thing I was disappointed in was that spoiler[Hitomi kissed Allan, but never the guy she was really in love with. ] other than that I can't see any other possible ending for Escaflowne that would have been good.

[EDIT: Fixed spoiler tags in quote. Copy/pasting will break spoiler tags, they need to be fixed manually after pasting.~Zalis]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7