• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Head Says UK Issues May Be Due to Illegal Releases

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I think there is something to be said for taking the time to be accurate in one's work. Getting a subbed version within a week of release doesn't mean that much to me if it's inaccurate. Not to mention, the companies that license anime actually hire translators, and I'm sure that they have to have credentials to back them up before they'd actually get the job.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't know. When I hear people say stuff like this it just comes across like whining. I don't doubt that these companies are in trouble but it just comes off to me as "If we're in trouble it must be somebody else's fault." They're just assuming that if sales are poor it must be fansubs. On the surface that may seem like the obvious assumption but if you actually look even a little deeper it really isn't. There are a lot of factors that affect the industry. If they would actually look at why people are turning to fansubs and try to adapt to meet customers needs instead of complaining about it maybe they would be able to do something about it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't know. When I hear people say stuff like this it just comes across like whining. I don't doubt that these companies are in trouble but it just comes off to me as "If we're in trouble it must be somebody else's fault." They're just assuming that if sales are poor it must be fansubs. On the surface that may seem like the obvious assumption but if you actually look even a little deeper it really isn't. There are a lot of factors that affect the industry. If they would actually look at why people are turning to fansubs and try to adapt to meet customers needs instead of complaining about it maybe they would be able to do something about it.

What exactly are these "other factors"? I don't dispute that there are probably other problems out there, it just seems too easy to say that ADV is jumping to conclusions without any proof to back it up. Also, it's hard to meet customers' needs when they want a fast, free product that's available at any time. Yes, something needs to change, but it's not that simple. The companies have to be allowed to make a profit, that's just the way business is.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
pknecron wrote:
Nice to see all the excuses for why fansubs are OK. Oh, well, if you kill the industry with them it'll be your own fault. Illegal is illegal, nothing you can say will make a crime any less a crime.

I'm not talking about what I do or do not do. Keep that in mind before you flame me.

I find your argument to be pretty weak. How does killing the industry hurt people who watch fansubs? Are they still going to be able to get fansubs? Yes. Will they still be able to watch shows currently airing on J-TV? Yes. Where does the death of the industry harm people who only watch subtitled anime?

Now, people who want to watch shows dubbed - yes, the death of the industry will hurt them because they won't be able to get English language anime any more. They will have to learn to read and start watching subbed stuff.

The only real harm the death of the industry would cause is less money for the original creators and producers. However, much like the time before anime went global, the animators and manga-ka will still make anime and manga, only at a slower rate. The TV stations (NHK, TBS, BS1/2) will still order anime and the jumps of the world will still bring out their phone book sized anthologies each week/month.

The point of this is that people who only watch fansubs do not care about the industry - and really why should they? They will still get what they want if ADV/whoever closes or not. It does not matter to them and that's all there really is to it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Sagecat wrote:

The only real harm the death of the industry would cause is less money for the original creators and producers. However, much like the time before anime went global, the animators and manga-ka will still make anime and manga, only at a slower rate. The TV stations (NHK, TBS, BS1/2) will still order anime and the jumps of the world will still bring out their phone book sized anthologies each week/month.

The point of this is that people who only watch fansubs do not care about the industry - and really why should they? They will still get what they want if ADV/whoever closes or not. It does not matter to them and that's all there really is to it.

You know, this "screw everyone else, I got mine, the only thing that ever matters is whether or not I get what I want" anti-social garbage is getting really, really tiresome and makes me wonder about some of you. A lot of this rhetoric is so selfish and ignorant it borders on sociopathic.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Sagecat wrote:

You know, this "screw everyone else, I got mine, the only thing that ever matters is whether or not I get what I want" anti-social garbage is getting really, really tiresome and makes me wonder about some of you. A lot of this rhetoric is so selfish and ignorant it borders on sociopathic.

Again, I'm not saying that I believe in what I wrote. I'm just posing it from the standpoint of random fansub-leech X.
luhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay, if fansubs are the biggest problem facing the anime industry today, why don't companies like ADV DO something about it? Why aren't we seeing C&D letters going out to fansub groups and trackers that host the torrent files? These people aren't hard to find; millions of leechers seem to have no problem. Are the companies that afraid of pissing off the fans? According to them, the filthy leeching pirates aren't buying their products anyway, so why all the concern for their widdle feewings?

I'm just sick of hearing every licensor and his brother whine about fansubs and just sit there wringing their hands over the problem. Either try to solve the issue or shut the hell up about it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Sagecat wrote:
pknecron wrote:
Nice to see all the excuses for why fansubs are OK. Oh, well, if you kill the industry with them it'll be your own fault. Illegal is illegal, nothing you can say will make a crime any less a crime.

I'm not talking about what I do or do not do. Keep that in mind before you flame me.

I find your argument to be pretty weak. How does killing the industry hurt people who watch fansubs? Are they still going to be able to get fansubs? Yes. Will they still be able to watch shows currently airing on J-TV? Yes. Where does the death of the industry harm people who only watch subtitled anime?

Now, people who want to watch shows dubbed - yes, the death of the industry will hurt them because they won't be able to get English language anime any more. They will have to learn to read and start watching subbed stuff.

I don't know that it's a fair comparison to look at anime and manga when it was first starting to what could theoretically happen in the future. When something first starts, it's natural for it to not do so hot until it catches on. However, when something that used to be a money maker dries up, that's when many companies switch to a new product that stands a better chance of making money.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Because doing so costs a lot of money in our "justice" system. It's no secret that often seeking "justice" in our incredibly defective system is usually so costly in the realm of time and money that it actually only victimizes the victims even further. Frankly, they can't afford to do anything about it, and the resulting uproar amongst the fans that could result would only complicate matters and possibly make things worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
[quote="james039"][quote="luisedgarf"]
posterior_praiser wrote:

But, the reason the English language is so great, is because instead of trying to maintain some sort of artificial "linguistic purity", when we come into contact with foreign cultures, we grab up their words like crazy and integrate them into the language. We *SHOULD* do the same with subbed stuff from Korean, or Chinese shows. Don't avoid foreign culture references, *explain* them, this serves to enrich the experience. I personally cannot stand "adaptations/localizations" in anime. This is why I avoid most dubs. They're way too comfortable rewriting things. As someone who is proficient in Japanese, however, I can say the vast majority of subtitle tracks on anime discs are very accurate, only occasionally missing or deliberately dodging Japanese cultural references.

OK, if you're so smart about foreign cultures, can you tell me what is the meaning of the word "cuate" in Mexican Spanish? or what is the meaning of "Seongsae-nim" in Korean? or "Laozi" in Chinese? Cool
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
[Edit: Saying nothing more than basically "Neener Neener Neener, I'm downloading fansubs" adds nothing to the discussion. If you're uninterested in discussing the topic then don't bother adding to the topic, all these one-liners and trolling is getting old. - Keonyn]

Maybe now's the time to stark kicking people off of the bus when all they want is a free ride.

What's the problem? You support an industry with money and you vote with your wallet; you stop with the excuses, we wouldn't have all these problems.

You rob from the industry; they're going to hate you. The quality goes straight down. And your eye-crack will never be as good. It's that simple.

I'd actually agree with JohnLead if his company's catalogue didn't proceed to SUCK and be redundant.
luhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Because doing so costs a lot of money in our "justice" system. It's no secret that often seeking "justice" in our incredibly defective system is usually so costly in the realm of time and money that it actually only victimizes the victims even further. Frankly, they can't afford to do anything about it, and the resulting uproar amongst the fans that could result would only complicate matters and possibly make things worse.

Then what are they accomplishing by constantly talking about fansubs? Do they think the subbers and downloaders are going to have a pity-motivated epiphany and suddenly stop what they are doing? If the anime companies are so impotent in the face of the subbers, they might as well just give up now and save all of us anymore of these stupid fansub threads.

(And if they can't even afford to have their lawyers mail out a few letters, they are truly doomed.)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Letters are alway mailed out. You see comments regarding C&D letters all the time. Doesn't really do anything to stop matters any though. If the companies stopped commenting though then the studios who create the anime and provide them with the material they license aren't going to offer them the license any longer. It's just as much about business as it is justice.

Sagecate wrote:

In regards to this you are assuming that is what would happen. The likeliest outcome at this stage would be that they would continue to produce just as much, but would outsource a lot of the material to foreign studios in Korea. The anime industry would do whatever possible to keep their releases going to try to cover the losses, and this would mean producing the same amount with less money. This is also a really poor attitude and it's good not everyone has it as we'd all be on the streets and unemployed. If you think no real harm would occur except for a drop in release numbers, then you don't understand business or economics at all. No, I'm afraid the growth the anime industry has had over the past decade can not be undone so painlessly anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
posterior_praiser wrote:
Some people also like to have subs that keep more terms in japanese, instead of translating them, such as 'bankai' or 'shinigami' and ect. Not to say I do, but some people perfer it. Doesn't make it more accurate, but the style is more attractive to some.

You mean like this? Wink

Yes. That is very funny. But besides the point. And that is not exactly an example of what I mean. I was referring to words or phrases that don't have a direct translation into english, or names for particular things like attacks in shonen series and ecetera, which they are increasingly keeping in tact in dubs. And I didn't say that I preferred it that way, but I know other people see the leaving in of more things as being a sign of authenticity, and thus, quality. It is a misguided belief, but it is not uncommon.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
luhead wrote:

(And if they can't even afford to have their lawyers mail out a few letters, they are truly doomed.)

It's not as simple as it seems, you know. There are fansub sites who have gotten cease and desist letters but some don't really care. Heh, you make it sound soooo easy. >.>;

@luisedgarf - Please tell me what you're talking about, considering that many of anime DVDs do have cultural notes/references, especially as DVD features. I'm surprised no one has pointed that out already.

I don't believe that fansubs are the main cause, but for people who think that it can't be any cause is totally dreaming. In addition to that...well, people said they've purchased the US releases due to timing...I'm sure there are other reasons, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 17