• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Romance anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost-Wisdom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
Ef-A tale of memories- Basically, I don't know much about it, but I've already finished the first episode and I have come of liking it. Although, I can see it's kind of a depressing series.

KimiKiss Pure Rouge High-school romanced theme, I can pretty much sum it up that there are a lot of things going on, and you can pretty much guess there's going to be some relationship issues and sorts. Good show, and it's still on-going.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Lost-Wisdom wrote:
Ef-A tale of memories- Basically, I don't know much about it, but I've already finished the first episode and I have come of liking it. Although, I can see it's kind of a depressing series.

I agree with Lost-Wisdom "Ef ~ A Tale Of Memories ~" definitely a recommended series because watching almost the entire series (1-11 one more to go). It is a great, breathtaking, and highly amusing show. Be sure you don't pass this one, if you like a romance genre because this is a wonderful show with gorgeous artistry and a good story. Man I can't get enough of this show I'm addicted to it! Especially Chihiro and Renji's love story.

Yup this anime can be depressing at times but there's one more episode to go before I can confirm it.

Go see it now I highly recommend this title!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TBPride

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
Eureka 7: While it's really more of an action anime, romance and relationships play a huge roll in moving the plot forward. The romantic aspects are a little inconsistent, and there are stretches with just fighting, but overall, if you can get through those parts, it's a very sweet story (mixed with giant robots killing each other). It tries to take a more realistic approach to the relationships, adding more than just fluff.

Elemental Gerad: Again, it's mainly an action adventure type anime, but there are romantic elements that are more than just implied, so I classify it as partly romance. The type of romance is similar to that of eureka 7, and the characters and situations are similar in some ways.

DN Angel: I'm not really sure if this is considered more action or more romance, but it's good. There's a sort of a love triangle/square that keeps things interesting.

Myself; Yourself: It's not really a romance, but it's sort of like a cross between the mystery aspects of Higurashi (without the blood, mind you) and the ridiculous amount of drama in Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. There are romantic aspects to it, and it's worth watching if you have time.

I"s Pure: The only anime that's really ever made me cry, it's only 4 episodes and very fast paced, but it's filled to the brim with romance and drama.

These are the ones I've watched that I haven't really seen brought up on this thread. If I see any more, I'll post. Hope it helps, if it doesn't someone let me know.
young98

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:26 am Reply with quote
Weekold wrote:
Is anyone forgetting ouran highschool host club it is hands down the best romance out there

i really enjoyed Ouran High School Host Club, and it really opened the door to shoujo genre anime to me, but i didn't list it as one of the better romance animes because the relationship of Haruhi and Tamaki is so one-sided, almost unrequited, but not to that extreme, also the scenes where Haruhi shows affection for Tamaki in a romantic sense, and not just having fun together as friends sense, is when spoiler[she's afraid of the thunder/lightning and she clings to Tamaki, but she does the same with Hikaru, so...] and another one i remember is the final scene when spoiler[Haruhi shows a little jealousy when Tamaki is talking with Eclaire, and then chases after him when he is about to leave and get married] but the thing is this last part happened so suddenly, without showing much progression of the relationship, i do think romance is one of the genres of OHHC, but i'd say it is much more slice-of-life, but that's just my opinion
rainbowcrescent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:11 am Reply with quote
Bokura ga Ita: A bittersweet love story that shows how the lead character's heart is chained to his past. The plot is very well written although sometimes the pacing becomes very slow. What I like most about this series is the character development which, in my opinion, is outstanding. The main characters develop well as the story progresses. Although I didn't appreciate the animation (which shows vibrant colors but lacks details), the series as a whole is one of my favorites.

Honey and Clover: The plot is very simple yet it was interesting and heartwarming. Honey and Clover is the perfect combination of romance, comedy, and slice-of-life. The story focuses on five college friends and their own personal struggles in love and in life. Love, emotional struggles, personal conflicts, dreams, and aspirations are portrayed well in this anime. Character development is noteworthy because each character has their own personal struggles that help them grow emotionally. Slice-of-life mixed well with comedy thus producing an anime which provides a good laugh and which is not too melodramatic.
GreatTeacherKen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Just to add something to Honey and Clover, the romance may be frustrating for some people because it slants very heavily towards the unrequited love side of things. I think it's an excellent portrayal of this theme, but I felt I should point this out so those who haven't watched know what they're getting themselves into. Smile
HieiKurama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Romace is still kinda in the manga phase for me which i think is just as good. I do like the little love scenes that in almost any anime anyway so i cant say nothing there however if you looking for a good manga I wood either I's or Psychic Acadmey However There sorta kinda have adult content But to my Knowledge so far no nudity
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Out of all of these suggestions I agree most with Nana because there are multiple romantic stories with several characters which are all interesting. It also has a totally addictive story and super cool characters. The best of all in my opinion!

For the epic tale of love and betrayal you can't get better than Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal. This is worth watching just because its one of the very best anime movies out there.

Bokura ga Ita was really good if you like lots of drama with your romance (which I tend to). Peach Girl and Lovcom are other contenders in this vein.

His & Her Circumstances is a personal favorite because the characters were different from the typical romance stereotypes and there is an actual physical relationship between the leads. Most leave us hanging there.

Honey and Clover was also a top choice. I liked the view from a male character. It wasn't overly silly or sappy and felt more realistic than most.

Rumbling Hearts was worth watching but I wasn't as impressed with it as some others were.

Honey Honey Drops is good for those who like more explicit romances, though its not subbed very far. Be warned though, if this follows the manga closely it will get smutty.

Fruits Basket is simply a classic with a well written story, especially if you continue reading the manga to the end. It gets far darker.

Kodomo no Omocha aka Kodocha is really funny and cute (though long). I don't normally go for romances with cutesy, moe or younger kids but this is the exception. It is just a great anime.

I like all the reverse harem type romances because, well I'm a chick, and lots of hot guys falling over one girl is nice. These include Fushigi Yuugi, Ceres, Pretear, Harukanaru Toki no Naka de , Ouran High School Host Club, Angelique, La Corda D'Oro, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Perfect Girl Evolution (very funny parody).

If you're not turned off by incest and blasphemy Angel Sanctuary is a passionate and tragic story with lots of fantasy thrown in.

Beck: Mongolian Chopsquad might not be specifically romance but it does figure heavily and its somewhat reminiscent of Nana. Its also just plain good.

Kaze no Stigma might also be slightly outside the genre but its still a nice tempestuous relationship. Love those.

For those who can handle a little yaoi I liked Loveless, Gravitation, and Mirage of Blaze. Regardless of gender, passion is passion and I liked these stories.

[EDIT: Changed a few titles because some people might not know the Japanese titles or abbreviations.~Zalis]
Kandykiwi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
Personally I appreciate those that are offering up Anime/Manga that may not rely on the romance factor to run the story. I do enjoy some supernatural, or action or something to add some more dimensions to my viewing, and drama/slice of life doesnt really cut it sometimes.

The first anime I ever watched that featured some romance in it was Inuyasha provided I thought the romance was played up a little more in English dub than it was with subtitles, looked as if they added some inner voice sections to emphasize it.

My viewing is limited so I'll be checking out some of everyones suggestions thanks Very Happy
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
If you don't mind reading the manga then you might want to give Ouran a chance since well its most diffently in the Romance category now. spoiler[ since in the latest manga chapter it has been reveled that Haruhi is in fact in love with Tamaki. Though it isn't really clear bout what his feelings towards her are, not that it's hard to see he does love her. There also is the side issue with Hikaru (one of the twins) having romatic feelings so yeah its gotten very good.]

I second the vote for His and Her circumstances, I loved this show because of the fact that the characters were so differen then the usual romance pairing. I also really loved how they seemed to have some scences that were blended with both animation and manga style drawings it was really awesome.

I don't know if has been mentioned by Saikano is a beautiful, haunting, just utterly brilliant love story. Though it can get very depressing at times and thus results in the viewer having to step away from the show for a moment.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking for a series that has love triangle involve, where a guy doesn't recognize at first he has feelings for the girl.

Kinda like the story of Myself;Yourself where Sana doesn't notice the jealousy of Nanaka (because she loves him) over Asami.

I appreciate if anyone could recommend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iggentleman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Agree about Myself Yourself. A bit star-crossed but a good romance.
Murrice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to bump the thread up, but I loved School Days, really awesome. I just want a new one for me to watch, that is similar to it. Is there one? Very Happy
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Nothing really like it that I've seen, I thouroughly enjoyed it despite it's f-ed up nature, next best thing would be Rumbling Hearts if you want serious, intense, and sexy romantic drama involving a love triangle. There's always When They Cry (Higurashi no Naku Koroni) and it's sequel Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai if it's just the spoiler[ultra-violent school kids aspect you like]
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
How about trying Kodomo no Jikan maybe it's not a bad choice but more on ecchiness.

Hate to say this, but I didn't felt liking the ending that how she spoiler[killed makoto] they should have chopped him around instead. I think the most frustrating series I have watched this year but it's what I mean, frustrating about the characters itself mostly out on makoto that made the anime on the good side and a good start and never thought that it would be so shocking, not to judge by it's cover itself and having thought it's just a normal genre, a normal love problems, a normal ecchiness series, all about normal on having a school on your everyday life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 22