• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Attractive Anime Girl Contest (and Stereotype Battle)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amasa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote
We're not actually doing this contest are we? Crying or Very sad
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
We're not actually doing this contest are we? Crying or Very sad

Why the heck not. We already have a bunch of nominations. Now all we have to do is think of a voting system unless porcupine got one in mind.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
I still think a discussion about what makes someone attractive would work better then a contest, but Porcupine says that it will come after the nominations (during the contest). So I think this could work.

And I really hate this one nomination per person, but I understand why it's in place.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
I'll throw any of these 8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FjnIyJWkas

Twisted Evil

Hard to believe that some of these characters were actually in that tournament.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Seems like the rate of new nominations is dying down, so why don't we start rating and commenting on other people's characters? Hopefully this will be the most fun part. I ask that people try not to feel insulted if their characters get bad ratings from others because everyone has their own personal tastes. Also, anyone new feel free to continue to nominate more characters.

The exact nature of the points system isn't defined yet (that's for Phase 3). I'll re-state that we should rate the other characters/girls from 1 to 5 stars, with 3 being neutral (also the same as simply not rating a character, for example if you aren't familiar with them).

Here are my personal ratings. I won't rate characters who I am too unfamiliar with.

Toru Honda: ** I've never really seen Fruits Basket (even though it is free on Funimation Channel sometimes) but from the sample pic I think I have a good idea what she looks like. She's not ugly or anything, but just too plain for me, in a fairly generic art style.
Kaname: ** I've only seen FMP:2nd Raid, not the other FMP shows. But I'm not that fond of the FMP art style in general, especially in the 1st Gonzo season which is of a lower quality overall than the Kyoto Animation versions. The color of her hair and eyes is interesting, but other than that the art style seems too plain and generic for me. BTW, are the posted pics from the 1st season or Fumoffu?
Tao Jun: **** Neither of the sample pics are that flattering I would say, but I've seen a little of the Shaman King anime and manga and I think she's pretty attractive most of the time. I also like those Chinese dresses.
Miyu -- I saw her show a number of times LONG ago but I can't remember her exact appearance clearly enough to make a fair judgement so I won't rate her. I also never saw the TV series, only the OAV series.
Mizuho: * Sorry about that. Smile I've never seen the shows but I've seen a lot of pictures everywhere and she's just not my type.
Maya: ** Haven't seen too much of the shows or manga either but she doesn't seem my type either.
Robin: ** The "realistic" style used in her show isn't the kind of anime art style I like so I'm afraid I have to give Robin a thumbs-down too. But I will agree that she's the best looking girl in Witch Hunter Robin. Any other girl from that show I would have given one star.
Rin Tohsaka: ***** Yay! Rin is awesome. Aspect ratio on the sample pic appears slightly off, I thought I'd mention.
Tamaki -- Like I mentioned earlier a lot of nice sample pics were given but they are too inconsistent (totally different artists I suspect) with each other for me to accurately judge what she is supposed to look like so I won't rate her.
Eureka: *** I dunno if I like Eureka Seven's art style all that much, sorry. Anemone is the best looking Eureka Seven girl to me even though sometimes she can be a little disgusting, I would have given her four stars.
Ryoko: **
Urd: ** Kosuke Fujishima's art style has changed drastically a number of times over the years, and for his other girl characters my rating would change depending upon which time period I am considering. But Urd I would consistently rate the same even though her looks change too, she's not one of my AMG favorites at least looks-wise.
Deedlit: **** ROLW is super old now and so is the art style, and it's also kind of the "realistic" art style I'm not that fond of. But somehow, it works for Deedlit. Maybe different looks can work for elf girls. Also the chosen sample pics are really good.
CC: **** I have to give a fellow Takahiro Kimura nomination a good rating. Unfortunately I haven't seen Code Geass myself so I can only conservatively rate her based on the sample pic and a couple other web pics I managed to find.
Lum: *** The chosen sample pics are really nice but I think in the actual shows or comics the art is not usually that well-done so I have to go by that.
Matsuri: ** I've never seen her before but the sample pics clearly show what she looks like. Unfortunately, even though they are good quality pics, I have to say that her design is again too ordinary and generic for me to rate well. She looks the same as a hundred other PC bishoujo game girls out there, at least to me.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Yurie Hitotsubashi from Kamichu, please.

Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Tamaki -- Like I mentioned earlier a lot of nice sample pics were given but they are too inconsistent (totally different artists I suspect) with each other for me to accurately judge what she is supposed to look like so I won't rate her.

My apologies for any confusion that my pictures may have caused. At the time of my nomination there were no guidelines regarding the number of pictures to post, or stating that they should come from a single source. Therefore I posted a series of pictures intended to show the character in a variety of poses, and in both casual and glamour modes. However, since this has obviously created a problem here I have removed all of the pictures, and you may consider my nomination withdrawn.
ElementSun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
I do find it strange that this is a "Stereotype Battle" and that you say that some of the girls are too generic...

and if it's possible, can I change my nomination to:

Shana!
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:07 am Reply with quote
ElementSun, sure...although if you do can you edit your earlier post as fast as possible before anyone has a chance to rate your "old" nomination.

Furudanuki, I wasn't trying to tell you to remove your nomination. Just because I didn't know who it was and decided not to rate your character, doesn't mean it was a bad choice. Maybe other people would have liked to comment on her. Besides, Tamaki was re-nominated by Levitz anyway so she's still here even if you change your mind. Smile But in any case it is up to you. I hope my comments didn't offend you.

And just to clarify, you can post whatever amount of pictures you like. And there's no rule that says that have to be from a similar source or consistent style, it's just that it would be helpful...especially for people who haven't seen that character before and want to use just the sample pics to judge appearance. And it's up to the person who nominates a character to decide if a particular "version" of the character is his/her choice in particular, or if they just want to nominate the character as a whole.
Amasa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quote
Surely ANN can do better than this? What makes the ANN forums better than other anime forums?
The level of intelligence in the discussions, maybe? You can all go to those hundreds of other nameless anime sites that will give you your nice listy "who is the most ***** anime character". You'll find that the most "attractive girl" is actually one of the popular ones! *Gasp* ! Unfortunately it is these types of topics that makes those websites trash and ANN superior Wink , well to most of the user's opinions anyway. You will likely forget who you nominated, forget why, forget who was most popular and it's very likely you will forget the name of that actual anime forum.

ANN is different though, which is why you are all here. We can really do better. I really dislike it when people say this is shallow or that is shallow but seriously guys, this is shallow. Shallow people typically embrace stereotyped social roles, especially gender roles. They usually place excessive value on the appearance of something, sometimes judging themselves and others entirely by their looks, which gives the impression of vanity and arrogance even though they may possess neither of these attributes. Their emotional affect tends to be superficial and shift rather quickly, suggesting that they are either exaggerating their reactions, or that their emotional state is outright falsified. I'm not calling all of you shallow at all, just the existence of this thread and it's narrow content. Don't get me wrong I'm just trying to get across that this thread, despite it's popularity, is really, very superficial and against what most of you would approve in ANN threads.

Discussion in this thread will undoubtedly remain on a very superficial level, though not particularly malicious or vindictive. I know this is all fun and games but at least the crazy character tournament actually made us think about which character we chose instead of just staring at that character's breasts or this character's cameltoe and deciding which feature is more attractive.
vylo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
Seriously, a thread about which anime girl is the most attractive will be superficial?

I'm shocked.

If you came to the internet seeking a plethra of high brow discussions, you might as well have gone to the Sahara to seek out spring water.

People have given reasons beyond simple physical characterists (Read people's posts on Rin), but lets be honest, when it comes to attractiveness, while physical appearance isn't always the most important aspect, it is the first one we look at, because it immediately visible and requires no action on the part of the one being examined.

Let people have their fun, and if you want it to be a more intelligent discussion, contribute more to it then a lengthy innane lecture.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
vylo wrote:
People have given reasons beyond simple physical characterists (Read people's posts on Rin), but lets be honest, when it comes to attractiveness, while physical appearance isn't always the most important aspect, it is the first one we look at, because it immediately visible and requires no action on the part of the one being examined.

I agree that the first impression of a girl (as me being a guy) is how good they look, but as you've said "physical appearance isn't always the most important aspect". The biggest problem I have with this contest in that we have to vote more for looks then anything else. What ends up happening is you put me in a bind because what you’re saying is this character may be a slut and this character may be a total moron but since she is better looking then everyone else she gets the vote. To me I don’t follow that sort of logic. I’m not someone that embraces stereotyped social roles like Amasa was talking about, but I would like to see characters having more respect to themselves.
vylo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
Well I suppose it depends on the nature of the contest itself. If you are asked to vote upon characters you aren't famaliar with, you will fall back on appearance as the sole barometer for how attractive they are. If you are very familiar with all choices, or the you are allowed to vote for whoever you feel like, you will tend to knock out many "bimbos", because no matter how attractive the woman is, if her personality (or lack thereof) is as grating as sandpaper, you won't care how good she looks (I mean you would in a picture or something, but face to face you are more likely to punch them then adore them).

An example would be the girl from Vandread (I forget the name). Sure, physically attractive, but I think I might prefer sticking my head in a blender rather then listening to her for more then 10 seconds.

Or the women from Shuffle!. They might be entertaining for obvious reasons in the short run, but a 2 dimensional personality only goes so far.
darksideoftheanime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Well I do have a lot of faith in the ANN community that this contest won’t turn into an “OMG HER BOOBS R S BIG” type of situation. I do think that Porcupine should rephrase his rules so that looks aren’t the only thing to consider.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
darksideoftheanime wrote:
Well I do have a lot of faith in the ANN community that this contest won’t turn into an “OMG HER BOOBS R S BIG” type of situation. I do think that Porcupine should rephrase his rules so that looks aren’t the only thing to consider.

Hence why I said at the beginning that all nominations should be explained. That way personality would be a big factor and not just big tits or skimpy dressing. That's also why I chose Urd over any of my Ikki Tousen ladies. Great on the eyes they may be, sharp in the brain they are not lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8