• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime to the Big Screen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalHeavyMetal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:10 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
MetalHeavyMetal wrote:
Like someone said before there will be a [live-action] Ghost in the shell movie

Please tell me your kidding, that makes me cry. Crying or Very sad

nope its been official for a while I think new line cinema picked up the rights a long with Battle Royal but the people who created Ghost will be a part of the making of the live action film so it should turn out better then letting anyone who is 1st in Hollywood to write produce and direct it.
MetalHeavyMetal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:12 am Reply with quote
Meiaminkbell wrote:
MetalHeavyMetal wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
I'd love to see a live action version of Hellsing! I think I read somewhere that Kouta Hirano would be agreeable to it. However, I find it hard to think of someone who'd be good enough to play Alucard. The only one I can think of who might come close is that guy who played the young Hannibal in Hannibal Rising recently. Only he might not be tall enough and he's really young, course costuming and makeup could take care of that. But he definitely got the acting skills!

Hellsing would be good along with Gantz but as for Hellsing they have to make Alucard cgi and nothing else I don't see a male actor pulling off the look of Alucard and do it justice.

I don't know, I think it's possible. Hollywood may be a corrupt business worried more about pleasing their pockets than pleasing their audience, but they ARE capable of producing a good movie. Hellsing can ge awesome in the RIGHT HANDS.

(Also, who else would want to see Alan Rickman as Walter? Anyone? I can't be the only one.)

Hellsing is not that hard to make into a live action film its simple really and will make a great one to boot and give a middle finger to all those who dismiss anime as being stupid and not having good stories. But I stand by my cgi comment I cant see any male or female actor playing Alucard have not seen one sorry.
Clodus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Samurai X: Reminiscence I believe would be an extremely well representative for anime to the big screen. its one of anime's crowning achievements and ranks #1 on many big anime sites. it could do well to crop out the ending sequence and merge the chapters though if shown. it would undoubtedly increase more fandom
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
MetalHeavyMetal wrote:
Meiaminkbell wrote:
MetalHeavyMetal wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
I'd love to see a live action version of Hellsing! I think I read somewhere that Kouta Hirano would be agreeable to it. However, I find it hard to think of someone who'd be good enough to play Alucard. The only one I can think of who might come close is that guy who played the young Hannibal in Hannibal Rising recently. Only he might not be tall enough and he's really young, course costuming and makeup could take care of that. But he definitely got the acting skills!

Hellsing would be good along with Gantz but as for Hellsing they have to make Alucard cgi and nothing else I don't see a male actor pulling off the look of Alucard and do it justice.

I don't know, I think it's possible. Hollywood may be a corrupt business worried more about pleasing their pockets than pleasing their audience, but they ARE capable of producing a good movie. Hellsing can ge awesome in the RIGHT HANDS.

(Also, who else would want to see Alan Rickman as Walter? Anyone? I can't be the only one.)

Hellsing is not that hard to make into a live action film its simple really and will make a great one to boot and give a middle finger to all those who dismiss anime as being stupid and not having good stories. But I stand by my cgi comment I can't see any male or female actor playing Alucard have not seen one sorry.

Then we find someone few people know. Very Happy

And that'swhat I meant by my comment.
greedo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:

James Cameron was without a doubt one of the best Directors in American Cinema, though honestly in recent years I have to wonder if he's lost his touch. His earlier movies were one of the few I can remember that showed you could have a flashy action movie but with real characters, that had real personalities and real drama. Unfortunately after Titanic all I've seen him make was dissappointing personally. Honestly I seriously lost faith in him after seeing him spew insults at the idea of an Aliens Versus Predator movie.

Well, Cameron hasn't actually done a feature film since Titanic. He's basically done documentaries since. I say he's just not good at documentaries. Also, AvP wasn't exactly a great movie. That being said, I don't think Cameron is suited for evangelion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
greedo wrote:
Well, Cameron hasn't actually done a feature film since Titanic.

True but he had his hands all over Solaris.

Fallout2man wrote:
Unfortunately after Titanic all I've seen him make was dissappointing personally. Honestly I seriously lost faith in him after seeing him spew insults at the idea of an Aliens Versus Predator movie.
Well how would you feel if a piece of crap was added to a franchise that your a part of. He just had, and rightly so, the foresight to see how it would turn out. The Alien franchise ranks in as far as how good they are, in order from Scott's masterpiece to Jeunet's 'meh'. With Cameron's film following in a close second to Scotts. In other words a really excellent film. AVP was total crap, even worse so than Resurrection was. And anytime crap is added like that, it just brings the whole group of movies down with it. If I was him I would be pissed too.

Besides it doesn't matter, if Cameron does any translation, it will be for Battle Angel Alita. Which if he does, I hope he goes back to the dark hues of his Aliens film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
greedo wrote:
Well, Cameron hasn't actually done a feature film since Titanic. He's basically done documentaries since. I say he's just not good at documentaries. Also, AvP wasn't exactly a great movie. That being said, I don't think Cameron is suited for evangelion.

He wasn't lambasting AvP the movie, he was lambasting the concept. His comments came out back when they were still trying to find a director and then get a story, he went off on how it was insulting to the franchise, and was the studio's way of "closing the book" and cashing out on the Aliens franchise. Which shook me since practically every fan of either franchise (myself included) was at the time practically begging and crying to have him write and direct the film since they knew no one else could come close. So he basically spat in the entire fanbase's collective face by saying "No, not only do I not want to do this I think you're all morons for even liking the idea."

Dargonxtc wrote:
Well how would you feel if a piece of crap was added to a franchise that your a part of. He just had, and rightly so, the foresight to see how it would turn out. The Alien franchise ranks in as far as how good they are, in order from Scott's masterpiece to Jeunet's 'meh'. With Cameron's film following in a close second to Scotts. In other words a really excellent film. AVP was total crap, even worse so than Resurrection was. And anytime crap is added like that, it just brings the whole group of movies down with it. If I was him I would be pissed too.

The only reason it turned out that way was that nobody wanted to campaign for it. The fans wanted it and nobody would touch it, so what happens? Eventually the studios say "Okay, just make it." So they just reeled in a low-class action film director whom the majority of his films were poor video-game adaptations that weren't hardly even worth the 10$ their budget DVDs would cost now. Anderson wanted to do like he did with every other franchise, he wanted to go and do his own thing, he had no respect for it, of course not, his other projects were based on video games for christ's sake, no director respects video game continuity and he took that attitude right with him to AvP.

To make matters worse, Anderson has a weak influence compared to the heavy hitters like Cameron. James Cameron could've strongarmed the studio into getting a nicely deserved R rating and not trashed up the film just to sell to the tweens/teens that hollywood wanted to reach for marketing purposes.

The concept is risky, but to this I have two (or three technically) words, Freddy Vs Jason. Which was by many accounts phenominally successful both as a film and financially despite it's risky concept. Things can be done right if done by the right person with the right resources.

It's just like how we all here fear hollywood touching an anime film, and rightfully so. What we need is an established A-list director who's as close to an otaku as possible to do this, or it will suck and only after one of those directors does it, will any sort of adaptations truly succeed. Since we have to prove to the film industry that it's a respectable enough medium that the storyline and universe continuity are important enough not to just alter or change for trivial, rating-wise, or marketing reasons.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TheVok

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
He wasn't lambasting AvP the movie, he was lambasting the concept. His comments came out back when they were still trying to find a director and then get a story, he went off on how it was insulting to the franchise, and was the studio's way of "closing the book" and cashing out on the Aliens franchise. Which shook me since practically every fan of either franchise (myself included) was at the time practically begging and crying to have him write and direct the film since they knew no one else could come close. So he basically spat in the entire fanbase's collective face by saying "No, not only do I not want to do this I think you're all morons for even liking the idea."

No, sorry, if someone doesn't agree with you, it doesn't mean they're calling you a moron or spitting in your face. *sigh*

You should respect the fact that, for whatever reasons, James Cameron didn't like the concept of an Alien Vs. Predator movie, felt it insulted what had gone before and was inclined to see it as a cash grab. Just because you don't agree with any of that doesn't mean you can't respect his right to feel that way.

I'm a fan of both franchises and I would never beg nor cry for James Cameron to return to the Alien series. I don't understand that strategy at all; the movie that came out sucked, but it's not like any of us had to go see it (I only bothered because I had a free ticket), so what does it matter who ended up directing it?

If James Cameron didn't want to do it, the worst thing would be for him to direct it anyway. Then it would turn out like Sam Raimi feeling forced to squeeze both Sandman and Venom into one Spider-Man movie ....
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
No, sorry, if someone doesn't agree with you, it doesn't mean they're calling you a moron or spitting in your face. *sigh*

You should respect the fact that, for whatever reasons, James Cameron didn't like the concept of an Alien Vs. Predator movie, felt it insulted what had gone before and was inclined to see it as a cash grab. Just because you don't agree with any of that doesn't mean you can't respect his right to feel that way.

I'm a fan of both franchises and I would never beg nor cry for James Cameron to return to the Alien series. I don't understand that strategy at all; the movie that came out sucked, but it's not like any of us had to go see it (I only bothered because I had a free ticket), so what does it matter who ended up directing it?

If James Cameron didn't want to do it, the worst thing would be for him to direct it anyway. Then it would turn out like Sam Raimi feeling forced to squeeze both Sandman and Venom into one Spider-Man movie ....

Wouldn't that be better than if the studio just decided to make Spiderman 3, as written and directed by, say...uwe boll?

It was a successful comic franchise, it was very well-loved and while a lot of people wished for a movie we didn't expect or feel entitled to one. However when we did hear the studios were deciding to do it we did want the best person possible to do it. It's like I'm sure the millions of spiderman fans wanted the best possible people to make Spiderman once they knew it was going to happen.

It's no big secret that major movie studios make films to get money, however that doesn't mean that a movie can't be made into something wonderful despite that. Imagine Sam Raimi saying the same thing about Spider-Man 2 and then Uwe Boll being put in to write and direct it, or someone just like him?

Not to say he didn't have a right to say what I did but he still seriously lost some respect from me after that (not that someone as famous as him would care what anonymousInternetUser8934584 thinks about him anyway) for just insulting something I and a lot of other people who seriously enjoyed his works, also liked, and were asking if he wanted to play some part in. Sort of like, to paint a relevant situation for people here, having a good friend of yours come tell you that they thought anime was simplistic, childish and that you shouldn't "waste all your money on it" when you ask if they want to watch some with you. They could just say no, or do it in some other way that's more tactful.

Now you wouldn't disown your friend, and likewise I wouldn't fail to acknowledge he still was an astounding director (though I was less than thrilled with Titanic), though as someone else pointed out, all he's done lately are documentaries...which really isn't quite the same.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
Wouldn't that be better than if the studio just decided to make Spiderman 3, as written and directed by, say...uwe boll?

Yes, but that wouldn't make that Sam Raimi's fault ....

Quote:
he still seriously lost some respect from me after that for just insulting something I and a lot of other people who seriously enjoyed his works, also liked, and were asking if he wanted to play some part in.

Well, yeah, but I think it's fair for someone to not simply state their opinion, but also explain why that's their opinion. And to do so was in no way to call you a moron or spit in your face. He didn't say, "You fans are dumb!", so much as he said, "You studio execs are greedy!"

I agree with you that James Cameron isn't always known for his, uh, tact when he speaks publicly. But I still say good for him for not simply saying 'no' to the Alien Vs. Predator concept, but bothering to explain why he said 'no.' As a fan I appreciate that more than a lack of context.
D_man71200

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
OMG when did Hollywood stop think and started copying, once they start they really don't know when to stop Mad
MetalHeavyMetal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:58 am Reply with quote
D_man71200 wrote:
OMG when did Hollywood stop think and started copying, once they start they really don't know when to stop Mad

They been like that for many years they don't want to produce something semi fresh and take a chance on a movie project that is not a established franchise like a video game a comic or anime series.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
MetalHeavyMetal wrote:
D_man71200 wrote:

They been like that for many years they don't want to produce something semi fresh and take a chance on a movie project that is not a established franchise like a video game a comic or anime series.

And look at how many old movies they are creating new versions of. The latest being 3:10 to Yuma.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I prefer that an asian studio make anime adaptations to the big screen rather than an American studio because American producers would try to make a PG-13 movie. Usually Japanese live-actions are cheap but I don`t care for the budget if the director is creative, just watch Ryuhei Kitamura`s Versus. Asian directors made great live actions like Takashi Miike`s Ichi the killer (Based on a manga) or Park Chan Wook`s Oldboy (Also based on a manga) If you want something for the fanboy, watch Kazuaki Kiriya`s Casshern, based on a 70`s anime. I don`t want bloodless wounds, patriotic speechs, bad jokes and P.C. dialogues. By the way, Hollywood will never make a live action with great budget because recent anime aren`t as popular as classic comic books.

I would like to watch a live action of Gantz. I think it`s possible because its character design is realistic and Japan has a tradition with monsters. I think the perfect director could be Takashi Miike or Ryuhei Kitamura. Both of them put a lot of violence on their movies and they are influenced by anime.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
Takashi Miike`s Ichi the killer (Based on a manga)

Oooh, another great one I forgot to mention earlier.

'Oldboy' certainly set the standard, though, for a live-action adaptation of manga with broad audience appeal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7