• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Sorry, his choice was not believable for me, it needed more work, the corruption was just a sugerence to do it so fast.

Just as the reviewer says: it mostly works but feels rushed.

You seem to be forgetting that he was dwelling on this, basically alone, for a year? Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it didn't work for everyone else.

"his choice was not believable for me"

Correct.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Geto's transformation mostly worked for me, although I think I can see a bit of why some people may have felt it was rushed. Actually, rather than selling us harder on why he changed, I think I would have liked to see the contrast between his and Gojo's worldviews explored a bit more deeply; there's a real irony to him being the one who decides to exterminate all "sub-sorcerers", despite Gojo constantly prattling about how uniquely important it is whether you are strong or weak, and that he and Geto are strong (and that he is 'the strongest'). They obviously ran with this a bit, but I feel like they could have done a bit more with it.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:00 pm Reply with quote
My feelings towards Jujutsu Kaisen were fairly mid, especially after 0, which I found to be underwhelming. But this arc was, I think, the best thing out of it by far. I suppose I just hope it doesn't become too much less interesting when we're back to the main cast.

Geto's turn is believable to me in part because of, uhhh, personal experience. I've seen it can take surprisingly little time for someone to go back on their worldview, even embracing things formerly seen as perverse, especially after something even mildly bad happens to them. By that standard, Geto seems downright reasonable. Once he turned I don't think it was necessary to stretch things out any further than they did.
db999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:35 pm Reply with quote
One more thing about the episode. I don't remember if it was in the review or if anyone in the comments mentioned it yet, but Gojo and Geto’s final confrontation is right in front of a KFC. I just think it’s so funny how this big dramatic moment that changes the course of their lives happens in front of a KFC it’s so great.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The troubles with the episode's pacing start to become more apparent here, with Geto's inaugural slaughter sessions (along with the murder of his parents) getting reduced to a couple of montages. Given the pedigree of the artists working on Jujutsu Kaisen, it's a ridiculously good-looking and effective pair of montages, but still. I liked the playful detachment with which Geto applied the long overdue punishment to those murderous cult members, but everything from the destruction of the village to Geto's big confrontation with Gojo felt just a bit…rushed, I guess. It's nothing bad enough to derail the story, but I couldn't help but feel that even one more episode of breathing room would have made it easier to feel Geto's fall from grace. As it stands, I understand it perfectly well, but it doesn't provoke the kind of emotional reaction in me that I would have liked.

This my issue with episode too. Don't get me wrong, I like it for most part but I expected Geto fall to be a more dramatic affair after his weariness seem to be building up so much to that. It just feel like he snapped off screen in a way that made feel a bit unsatisfying narratively. Still the overall presentation and direction was fantastic and seeing of piece fall into place that would come define Geto's character in the preset was great.
db999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I also agree about the disconnect between what they were setting up for Geto and what they actually showed of his vengeance. When I think about what I expected to see of it before watching the episode, I was thinking we were going to get something way more similar to that scene in episode 6 when they’re in the restaurant and everyone in it starts bursting into flames and dying. I expected to see something either on that level or something more extreme so I can definitely understand other’s thinking it needed more. Personally, I was fine with not seeing it but I can understand that being a source of contention with others.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:36 am Reply with quote
This has been my least favorite arc of the anime so far. I think it’s because of the pacing and the (at times) awful animation. The shower scene of Geto looked like it was drawn by three different people. spoiler[it’ll be interesting to see how Geto continues in the series as I believe he died by now in the manga]. Hopefully the three week break will give MAPPA time to improve and get ahead now that we’re back with our main trio.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:33 am Reply with quote
Regarding the pacing complaint, I didn't mind that we montaged our way past Geto's initial killing spree, because to me what really mattered was him making the decision to go bad. But I would have liked to have seen some more of the gradual process of him being broken down by his work and his loneliness: the "ONE YEAR LATER" time card felt a bit jarring and is no substitute for actually showing the audience some parts of the year in question.

Despite that, the episode still does a great job selling us on Geto's growing weariness and cynicism, and I totally get how he eventually went past the point of no return. I just would have liked to have seen a bit more of his journey to get there.

Still some terrific work. The confrontation between Gojo and Geto is terrific because it's one of the first times we've seen Gojo seem completely sincere: not braggy or jokey or smug but just showing exactly how he's feeling. This betrayal clearly broke his heart, but at the same time, this is partially on him for not realizing that his best friend's heart has been decaying for a year.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:

There are only 3 options to explain what happened at the end of JJK0:

- He is working with Geto.
- He did kill Geto and replaced him with a dummy or something.
- Geto tricked him.

3 is the one that makes the most sense to me, as the other two require Gojo to have a hidden agenda on top of the hidden agendas we already know he has. It's a bit too much.

As for HOW he's alive, Geto has control of hundreds of curses, there's probably one in there that allowed him to survive what Gojo thought would be a killing blow. Some sort of healing, or maybe he replaced himself with a fake and Gojo unknowingly killed that instead. Most likely, Geto is letting Gojo think he's dead.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:46 am Reply with quote
SinisterOracle wrote:
This has been my least favorite arc of the anime so far. I think it’s because of the pacing and the (at times) awful animation. The shower scene of Geto looked like it was drawn by three different people. spoiler[it’ll be interesting to see how Geto continues in the series as I believe he died by now in the manga]. Hopefully the three week break will give MAPPA time to improve and get ahead now that we’re back with our main trio.

At no point did this season have "awful animation" at all. If anything, Premature Death is one of the most technically impressive episodes the entire franchise had so far, with excellent character acting animation, and specially fantastic drawings with Takuya Niinuma and Souta Yamazaki both being excellent ADs and animators.

Not to mean this as an offense, but you're probably one of those that defines "good animation" as only things that are "conventionally" pretty.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I didn't find the animation bad but the style from the latest episode reminded of Devilman Crybaby due to how creepy citizens looked.
ShadowC0N1012

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I will agree that the one yr time skip caught me off guard. But I also didn't expect them to dwell on this flashback arc for too long. And the decision that Geto made did seem rushed to me. However, as someone else said, it's more so about what led to him getting there. I'd say Yuki came and did what she wanted to do; plant a seed.

I was reading the comments about this recent ep, and it reminds me of how people felt during the ending of GoT lol. I personally enjoyed it, but plenty of folks were saying, "it was rushed," and "we should've seen more of Dany's spiral!"
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:43 pm Reply with quote
ShadowC0N1012 wrote:
I was reading the comments about this recent ep, and it reminds me of how people felt during the ending of GoT lol. I personally enjoyed it, but plenty of folks were saying, "it was rushed," and "we should've seen more of Dany's spiral!"

This is a really interesting way to try to get me to hate JJK, too. Laughing
ShadowC0N1012

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:45 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
ShadowC0N1012 wrote:

This is a really interesting way to try to get me to hate JJK, too. Laughing

Don’t do that haha
Philmister978

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:08 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
SinisterOracle wrote:

At no point did this season have "awful animation" at all. If anything, Premature Death is one of the most technically impressive episodes the entire franchise had so far, with excellent character acting animation, and specially fantastic drawings with Takuya Niinuma and Souta Yamazaki both being excellent ADs and animators.

Not to mean this as an offense, but you're probably one of those that defines "good animation" as only things that are "conventionally" pretty.

I think he might be also one who thinks animation and artstyle are one and the same, which is not the case. A good artstyle might have horrible animation as mush as a mediocre or bad style might have good animation; the concepts are mutually exclusive to one another. If there's any bad animation in the series (which, imo there's very little of, this season's been pretty good when it comes to decent to excellent animation moments), then blame MAPPA's terrible production management.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode "5.5"

Really is just a recap of this season and also the 0 film. Oh well. Next week will likely be a recap of all of Season 1. So the preview shots we saw at the end of last episode will be the next new episode at the end of the month.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 58