• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Anime Content Heads to Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:27 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
I hope this doesn't spell the end for Sentai/Hidive though, I'd like for there to be some competition in the market

Honestly, if anything, I'd hazard a guess that this could potentially make Sentai & Hidive new owner AMC Networks a bit more competitive, since now there's just one major competitor in the form of Sony. Also, as seen with Hidive getting Lupin the 3rd Part VI & the new English dub for Part I, there's a fair possibility that some companies in Japan aren't exactly happy with this, either, so they might wind up working more with Sentai/Hidive, instead.
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:33 pm Reply with quote
SpiritSmoocher wrote:
my funimation subscription just renewed today. Guess i am going to have to email funimation if a cancellation and refund is possible

I would not worry about it.. Its still way to early so eventually they might cancel and refund those with yearly membership./
GNPixie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Also, as seen with Hidive getting Lupin the 3rd Part VI & the new English dub for Part I, there's a fair possibility that some companies in Japan aren't exactly happy with this, either, so they might wind up working more with Sentai/Hidive, instead.

I think this is almost a 100% guarantee. Having a single distributor be in control of a large portion of the market will definitely suck for the JP side I think. I could actually see studios seeing going for Sentai/HiDive, Netflix and maybe even Disney (depending on how they handle the new BRS) as more of an option too.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:48 pm Reply with quote
The end of the Funimation era to some degree will look into getting the Crunchyroll app once I see how the future dubbed content is going to be treated.
OrangeRafi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Here I thought Sony will ditch CR in favour of Funimation but it was the other way around after all. I guess they just choose which one has the worst web UI and chose the better one. LOL! CR went ahead with a massive web UI a couple of months ago so I guess that's also a factor?

It's for the best I think, now majority of anime content will be in one service instead of split into two. I do have to wonder if in the future the subscription will change or stay the same. I do have both annual subscription for both Funi and CR so the shows consolidating into one platform helps a lot. Now I can cancel my Funi subcription. Too bad I don't qualify for the 60 days free CR trial as I already have a CR account.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Does this mean CR are calling the shots now? If they are I may consider resubscribing, but if Dallas is still in charge I'm not touching it whatsoever. Dallas pissing over us Aussie fans still has a sour taste in my mouth...

Funimation and Crunchyroll are now OWNED by SONY.... SO yeah it will be impossible to say that Dallas is going to call the shots when Sony now owns Both companies... Regardless There will still be license restrictions when it comes to what country gets what.

BlackPoint. wrote:
Well to be more exact Sony is calling the shots and Sony simply decided that CR has a stronger brand name then funi i would presume else it would have been the other way around.

That isn't quite what I meant. Sony decided to put Funi in charge when they put their SoA (Funi) and Aniplex (Madman and Wakanim) businesses under one umbrella. It was a shitstorm when they folded AnimeLab (Madman's streaming) into Funi's streaming last year, and I ended up not renewing my sub. If control has been taken away from Dallas, whether given to CR or a higher body, I may consider subbing to CR again after also dropping that when Sony purchased it. My worst fear was them folding CR into Funi like they did AL
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be brutally honest here. I both like and dislike this move. I have subscriptions to both, so this will save me money. I'm also glad that shows like Free and Ace Attorney will once again have their full dubs in one place. However I'm not pleased that it'll be on the Crunchyroll site.

First off I've hated Crunchyroll's navigation system ever since they did their system upgrade. It's been very difficult to find stuff through it.

Second, I fail to see how going to the same server that has continually crashed during premieres of MHA and Attack on Titan is going to help provide a more reliable service.

And that's the third thing. There is such a thing as overloading a system. What'll likely happen is a more crowded server will lead to more crashes.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:18 pm Reply with quote
This is great news for Latin America CR users since it is available in almost all countries of the region, unlike Funimation which was only available in México, Chile, Perú and Colombia. I don't know if this is going to bring some changes in regard to how their Spanish dubs are made
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:30 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Also, will the option of both broadcast and home video versions remain? For series that were simulcast, a little after the home video release hit, HIDIVE and FUNimation would add the home video version as an option. Crunchyroll meanwhile typically doesn't offer home video versions of shows it simulcast. For example, The Seven Mortal Sins, if you want to see that uncensored, you gotta buy the Blu-ray or watch through FUNimation's streams.

Yeah, this is really my one big concern about the move. Not only updating to the uncut/home video version, but also access to the proper English cast and staff credits for dubs with a subscription. Crunchyroll in general is very disappointing on that front, even if I prefer them in many other regards. In any case, I sent a request to FUNi support earlier today on the very issue to see if I could get answer from them.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, definitely pleased with this. Very much in the "dear God, not the Funi website" camp.

And how weird! The way they went about this transfer, the CR Release Calendar list of episodes for today is just a column like 50 times its normal length. Laughing

Last edited by NeverConvex on Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Probably the minority here, but i refused to deal with Cruchyroll when they first went legit (or before hand), and i am not changing that stance. I may not be the majority, but they just lost money, cause they are not getting mine.

Sentai/HiDive will be my only source moving forward it seems.
My only gripe with them is dubs wont show closed caption for me, subs work fine.

Been an anime for too many years i guess.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Steel Angel wrote:
Probably the minority here, but i refused to deal with Cruchyroll when they first went legit (or before hand), and i am not changing that stance.

Out've curiosity, why? Did you object to their behavior before they transitioned into legitimate streaming, or is there something they've continued to do that you object to..?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh Goddammit! I finally caved and bought the Blu-Ray of the Slime Reincarnation anime last week!

Oh well. At least I don't have to watch the shows on Hulu while repeating the same Progressive commercials anymore.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Funimation has closed captioning on their dubs. Crunchyroll does not. I do not want to rely on an inaccessible service exclusively. Is there any way to get Crunchyroll to add closed captioning to their dubs.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely surprised that it's the Funimation name that's going away. A little bummed because Crunchyroll/VRV are the streaming service I have the most trouble with - when it works it works, but it tends to freeze randomly or not load anything while I let it sit to buffer. The typesetting tends to be nicer at least, but I'll join those who are hoping for a dub/sub toggle rather than completely different pages, plus captions for the dubs.

Still, somehow this gives off more of a 'bummer' feel than when Crunchy/Funi was under VRV. Funiroll was clearly the name they should have used.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13