• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Horror Anime Less Squeamish About Kids?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Updated again. Not sure if I should add Baccano. There's this one kid that spoiler[dies a gruesome death. Multiple times. Because he's immortal.] Hmm.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Nagsura wrote:

I came here to mention Ideon, which was surprisingly absent from the article. Godo to see someone beat me to it, would've otherwise been sad that no one mentioned it.

It's not a horror anime so....

Jose Cruz wrote:
Women are also much more likely to be killed than in western media. In western media it is also considered much less acceptable to kill women than men in movies (on average you will see 200 men killed on screen for each women in a Hollywood movie).

By whom? and that's understandable considering most movies tend to have a much larger male cast then female.

Jose Cruz wrote:

While in Madoka, for instance, all characters that die are women and very young ones (14-15 year olds). I never seem western media portray this level of violence torwards young teenager girls.

Makes sense though as most western media particularly movies don't go that (to the point that any aversions of infant immortality occur off screen) as they have standards...whereas TV shows be they Family Guy,Criminal Minds, Law & Order SVU (in the latter examples the violence has already happened but still) are considerably different.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Do Gotsumon and Pumpmon really belong on that list? They're really just monsters. If we want a Digimon example there's always Osamu from 02.

You could name hundreds depending on what age bracket we define kids as. Are we talking specifically elementary school age, or do the 12-13 age of, say, the cast of the first part of Naruto back when Gaara was killing Genin left and right count? If so, you can find tons of characters that age die off in anime.

As far as the subject matter goes, Kamen Rider OOO which isn't anime, but still for kids, always comes to mind. The main character suffers from PTSD because he witnessed a little girl being killed in a missile attack in some Middle-Eastern country and constantly has flashbacks about it. To me, Japan seems less squeamish about that stuff in mainstream and kids shows than we do here.

-Stuart Smith
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
That's a really heartless thing to assert about Pumpkinmon and Gotsumon. If you could really name hundreds by going older then elementary school, then I dare you to just name a hundred different anime.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Women are also much more likely to be killed than in western media. In western media it is also considered much less acceptable to kill women than men in movies (on average you will see 200 men killed on screen for each women in a Hollywood movie).

I'm sure a certain group of people probably cheer with enthusiasm when they see many male characters die gruesomely in movies, but cry sexism and misogyny if so much as one woman gets killed, even if said woman was a horrible antagonist/villain who murdered millions.

Blanchimont wrote:
Also, Daybreak Illusion.

Oh god, not that scene again. I can still remember the sound. D:

Stuart Smith wrote:
As far as the subject matter goes, Kamen Rider OOO which isn't anime, but still for kids, always comes to mind. The main character suffers from PTSD because he witnessed a little girl being killed in a missile attack in some Middle-Eastern country and constantly has flashbacks about it. To me, Japan seems less squeamish about that stuff in mainstream and kids shows than we do here.

Most likely because the Japanese teach their kids early on that dying and death are just part of life and they accept that for what it is. However, gruesome violence has been required to be censored in a lot of their media in the last good handful of years.

Interestingly (and this is a little off-topic), a few cases of female nudity have actually been censored in some games, but that's only due to the CERO boards revising their ratings system back in 2006 to accommodate a changing game market and what was deemed acceptable to gamers of various ages in Japan. Sometimes the edits are more extreme than intended:

English version of Yggdra Union

Japanese version of Yggdra Union
DecimoX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:37 am Reply with quote
Hunter x Hunter is a gonzo anime that just don't give a f---
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Kuririn's first death. Granted, he was 16 at the time, but he looked like 7.

DecimoX wrote:

It's Mad House.
DecimoX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
Kuririn's first death. Granted, he was 16 at the time, but he looked like 7.

DecimoX wrote:

It's Mad House.

I was referring to what was said in the article
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Corpse Party: Tortured Souls is like the cherry on top of a kid getting maimed... it still sends me shivers down my spine when I think of a particular scene.
Remember Saving Private Ryan, when you felt revolt watching the nazi slowly stabing the guy pinned to the ground, now imagine a kid being the victim Crying or Very sad
Another is another anime that shock you too.
0nsen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
If Corpse Party and Another shock you, you must still be new to the genre. The RPG-VN for PSP of Corpse Party was cooler, though and I highly recommend checking that one out. The anime is pretty bad in comparison.

Also, there's this clip from Blood-C with a layer of cute kittens for comedic value. It's so over the top that it cannot even be taken seriously. Plenty of gore, but the kittens make it alright: https://my.mixtape.moe/qzklbv.webm
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
If Corpse Party and Another shock you, you must still be new to the genre. The RPG-VN for PSP of Corpse Party was cooler, though and I highly recommend checking that one out. The anime is pretty bad in comparison.

Also, there's this clip from Blood-C with a layer of cute kittens for comedic value. It's so over the top that it cannot even be taken seriously. Plenty of gore, but the kittens make it alright: https://my.mixtape.moe/qzklbv.webm

Well it's been a few years... I watched Blood-C before all that forgot to mention it, it is way gruesome but it doesn't really makes you care for the characters like Corpse Party and Another did and Blood-C feels unrealistic in comparison.
This post is referring to actually kids, less than 12.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5