• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Neo-Yokio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if people would be easier on this show if it had aired on the ADHD block instead of Netflix.

I admittedly occasionally get a laugh out of the ADHD YouTube channel and enjoyed one show that aired on the block (High School USA). Some of their stuff is a complete miss though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Adrian Robotnik

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
My god, I just watched the first episode, and it was pretty...awful! Is this supposed to be a parody of rich people? Is this supposed to be a parody of anyything? It's not even remotely funny, I was bored 99% of the time...
What were they thinking when they made this...this..mess?
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

All three of them are good actors though. Good VOICE actors, I'm not sure about, but celebrity casting has been done with western animation since voice acting got started.

Thing is, while he doesn't have many roles in the field itself (Randall from Monsters Inc. and Daytrader the new Transformers movie are really the only ones I recognize), Buscemi does have at least some experience compared to most of the cast.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I guess I was wrong after all: This series had a Spanish dub after all. Cool And also a German, Italian, Japanese and a French one as well.

Last edited by luisedgarf on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
I guess I was wrong after all: This series had a Spanish dub after all. Cool And also a German, Italian, Japanese and a French one as well.
It's Netflix, there's a dub for EVERY language.

We got our Rotton Tomatoes reviews and nothing is as harsh but still negative. I wonder why that's the case.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I hadn't actually heard of this until this review, but based what I'm reading about it, it sounds like Jaden Smith got a whole bunch of his friends together as well as anyone in the industry he knew willing to work for him to make this. Sounds like it's also "animesque" in the worst possible way: All style (and clumsily done at that) and no substance, desperately trying to make you go "COOOOLLL!!!" at the screen in a way only a 12-year-old (or a mental 12-year-old like Jaden Smith) could provide.

[

This feels like a show that MTV would possibly show, in fact I'm surprised it wasn't sold to them.
genkisakurachan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
Thing is, while he doesn't have many roles in the field itself (Randall from Monsters Inc. and Daytrader the new Transformers movie are really the only ones I recognize), Buscemi does have at least some experience compared to most of the cast.

I never thought the day would come when Steve Buscemi was cast in something worse than Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, but, well, here we are.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:

Also, these professional actors have had decades of experience and can be coached into doing it right. The most notable case I can think of is Toy Story, as neither Tim Allen nor Tom Hanks had done an animated role before, but they did a very good job because they were directed well.

If the acting is bad in this series, then it means they weren't coached or directed properly. Considering this seems to be Jaden Smith's own project and he couldn't voice himself competently, I can't really see the voice direction to be all that great.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
If the acting is bad in this series, then it means they weren't coached or directed properly. Considering this seems to be Jaden Smith's own project and he couldn't voice himself competently, I can't really see the voice direction to be all that great.

No, this was Ezra Koenig's project (lead vocalist and guitarist for Vampire Weekend). He's listed as creator, producer and writer. I did find some interviews with him on the series, but they were very fluff piecey.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
It should eventually dawn on him.

If Nicholas Cage can still make movies eventhough his output has been crap since about 2007 I don't see why Jaden can't.

genkisakurachan wrote:

I never thought the day would come when Steve Buscemi was cast in something worse than Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, but, well, here we are.

He's been in a bunch of Adam Sandler movies, along with G-Force, Home On The Range, and 2 Spy Kids Films this isn't his first shitshow.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
genkisakurachan wrote:
Philmister978 wrote:

If you take out the FF out of the title, its actually a pretty solid and well animated film. The flack it gets is mainly from being a FF product, not actually being bad overall.

Regarding this being intentional, only way i see that is if Jaden is kept in the dark and everyone else is pulling the string, no way in hell is he savy enough to pull a Van Dame and spoof himself.

Regarding US works, most of the usual suspects have been mentioned, but personally I like Gravity Falls, Loud House, MLPFIM, Adventure Time, and Rick and Morty.

As far as teen titans go, its crap, but the original was really good. Another older but not too old show, is Boondocks.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:32 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Call me crazy, but I unironically enjoyed this show. It had a very Wes Anderson vibe with its characters and dialogue, which — considering Vampire Weekend is the Wes Anderson of music — should not have been a surprise. I kinda want a second season to happen.

I think we can all agree, though, that its animated far better than The Reflection.

Yeah, I was super intrigued by this review and went ahead and put it on and 6 episodes later...I don't really understand what all the hubbub is about. This is a 100% self-aware satirizing of politics in the U.S., though not so much a meditation as a broadest-of-possible-strokes cartoonish romp escalating the same trappings of bizarrely dry humor adult animation in America usually trades in with a sort of flippant condemnation of class excess which is obviously not meant to be taken at face-value. It's farce: a bit more Woody Allen than Wes Anderson imo, but with the added effort to be topical. The performances are suitably off-color and I actually think Jaden shines in this role (whether he's in on the joke or not): his singular earnestness is hilariously offset by the cut-throat sardonicism of the urban-elite socialite stereotypes populating his immediate circle. I'd extend an especially warm mention to Susan Sarandon, taking every opportunity to lampoon the exact vision of Clintonian corporate malice she had the political presence of mind to call out this past election cycle: "We'll care when they pay us to care," was easily my favorite line delivery of the whole run.

As for the animation, it struggles for sure, but it's not a huge step down from the kind of cheesy, schlocky animation U.S. productions usually turn out for their not especially demanding animated sitcoms and the like: at least to my untrained eye, it looks and feels like one of those choppy Saturday morning cartoons a lot of folks my age grew up with (Captain Planet, for instance). Any illusion that this is a show actively aiming for dramatic anime-action set pieces is dispersed within minutes and I'd say the Japanese production side of this is the biggest question mark for me; it might make sense as yet another cynical, tongue-in-cheek meta nod towards luxury pop-culture trends and the show does make use of some running jokes which target savvy millennials who have spent enough time on image boards to "get" stuff like the hikikomori phenomenon. But FMA: Brotherhood this is clearly, deliberately not, and I don't really know if anything Production I.G. or Studio DEEN brought to the table did the show any favors.

Anyway, the show is truly a strange and unwieldy experience, there's no doubt about that. It's a definitive metric for just how much your mileage may vary, but one thing it doesn't do is proffer the slightest degree of intellectual honesty to its myriad of parodies. It's a brutish, gloriously unrefined political cartoon, like the best of them. I got a huge kick out of it.

spoiler[I also can't deny I was totally there for Lexy's on-point dressing down of Kaz's passive transmisogyny and the way an episode which had me on edge the whole damn time ended with a fully coherent, clearly stated deconstruction of the Mrs. Doubtfire trope which is so hurtful to trans women and managed to do it while still retaining mad love for feminine bodies and not reducing them to a gag for cheap laughs. Like I say, topical.]
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
So I started watching this to see if it's as bad as people say, and did a double-take because the show started with the old Thames Television jingle from back in the day.

This is a parody, right? right??
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this is a parody and I thought it was a halfway decent one. It's a parody of bad anime and of the fashion industry and celebrity and brand name worship. You can tell from some of the dialogue that it's aware of what is doing. It's not A level by any means, but if they get more episodes I'll watch it.
Distant Thunder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They finally did it, folks: they animated Jaden Smith's Twitter account.

Laughed so hard at this. This sentence alone provides a TL;DR for the whole review! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7