• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce Partnership to Share Content Via Streaming, Home Video, EST

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
This could also lower prices in bidding wars? Since Crunchy and Funi no longer have to fight over shows. Agreeing to just split the pie might be better financially depending how much they save not scrapping over shows.
Even though I have subscriptions to both Crunchyroll's just a nicer site so the more I can watch on it the better.

Potentially, yes. The two main competitors for streaming are pooling resources, though from reading the article it sounds like that was done largely out of concern that companies like Amazon could afford to force them out. How much this partnership pays for licenses may still be highly dependent on how badly much larger companies want a show.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
This will not affect Europe, but looks like is great news for sub fans in North America.
They will have most of the titles on only one place. Is save them some money.

The same goes for dub fans.
Soulpiece

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Ok so I wanna make this is clear. Every show funimation has subbed will be moved to crunchyroll and funimation will only be left with their dubs only? And future simulcast shows will be moved to crunchyroll while we gotta wait weeks to watch it in funimation as dubbed only? That kinda sucks.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
So what happens to sentai?
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
endallchaos wrote:
Also, does anyone else feel like Aniplex USA is getting left behind? I'm kind of hoping they do, so they leave the US market, and other companies can get their shows and release them with a much lower price.

Aniplex USA is completely unaffected by this, AoA pretty much only licenses/releases anime made A-1 pictures, (considering they are the parent company after all) it's pretty much how it's always been and with Aniplex getting more protective of it's titles the chance any company other then Aniplex licensing future A1 titles seems pretty much non existent.

Can we please focus on the awesome partnership allowing more anime to get home releases, more streaming opinions, and more dubs? Sad Crying or Very sad

I was praying no one would bring this up.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The only "downside" is not hearing about Funimation shows being widely available in South America (when was the last time Mexico or anywhere south got any good anime news??) like how some Crunchyroll shows can be seen in the UK, or the Nordic region but, damn now I don't have to renew my Funi subscription anymore!

Quote:
Additionally, FunimationNow viewers will be able to watch Broadcast Dubs of some of Crunchyroll's summer simulcast titles, including: 91 Days, Mob Psycho 100, and Orange.

Since some of the past Broadcast Dubs have slowly started being released on DVD/BD, will that mean we should expect Funimation to release 91 Days and Mob Psycho 100 or will it be like Kabaneri, Free! season 1, and Gintama were those Dubs will be under Crunchyroll's new home video distribution?

Edit: Looked on CR's FAQ and got my answer:

Quote:
What will happen to titles that Crunchyroll has previously announced it will be making for home video?
They will still be released, and will be distributed through our partner, Funimation. Crunchyroll and Funimation will be working together to produce all future titles.

Possible Funimation Premium Box Sets for Crunchyroll titles? F**K YEAH!! Very Happy

I guess with Amazon Prime having exclusive sub streaming for Noitamina titles, the removal of anime titles on Hulu, Aniplex titles removed/expired from Funimation's lineup, and Netflix grabbing titles but releasing them in chunks after their season finale, combing two well known entities was a smart move.

Last edited by Keichitsu0305 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
So all of CR's licenses will be getting dubbed in Texas instead of spicing it up and going all over the place? Great.

This is what we call a monopoly and its absolute garbage.

if they do that to Ace Attorney and Berserk,that already have estabilished voices,they will piss off a lot of people...
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:

After they released Shirobako, I'm not paying any attention to them until they acquire the GuP's Battle of Anzio and the movie
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
So all of CR's licenses will be getting dubbed in Texas instead of spicing it up and going all over the place? Great.

This is what we call a monopoly and its absolute garbage.

if they do that to Ace Attorney and Berserk,that already have estabilished voices,they will piss off a lot of people...

Zestiria kept the main voices for characters, so I dont see why we would Assume Ace Attorney dub couldnt...though will it be worth it, I dont recall seeing many game fans being please with the ace attorney anime.
Turro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Here in México and the rest of latin America crunchyroll reigns supreme since Funimation dont give a &$@ south of The U. S border. There is a lot of great shows that are impossible to watch legally here because of this.
I think this is a great news for the people of USA and Canada, hope the parties work to bring the shows to the rest of the markets.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty amazing news. It feels like I'm dreaming.

It seems that this is as close to being a merger as possible. With this deal, Funi will be dubbing and distributing tons more anime, and CR will be licensing practically everything. In order for either one of these propositions to be true, they most likely have to share profits and pool money in order to cover dubbing and licensing costs.

I worry that this means Japanese licensors will exponentially increase licensing costs.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Christopher Martinez wrote:
Ok so I wanna make this is clear. Every show funimation has subbed will be moved to crunchyroll and funimation will only be left with their dubs only? And future simulcast shows will be moved to crunchyroll while we gotta wait weeks to watch it in funimation as dubbed only? That kinda sucks.

I asked the same question, but yes, subs will appear on CR and dubs on Funi is how it will eventually work. Also, we already had to wait a few weeks to watch broadcast dubs, and apparently, they are making an effort to do them even faster, so you won't really be waiting any more than before.

Kb24lol wrote:

My own take on it is that they will be left to pick up titles that nobody else wanted, or they'll be focusing even more on older titles. Neither is especially encouraging for them, I'm sure. As interesting as this news is, it is sad to think that it might end up forcing out some of the competition.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blankslate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

Zestiria kept the main voices for characters, so I dont see why we would Assume Ace Attorney dub couldnt...though will it be worth it, I dont recall seeing many game fans being please with the ace attorney anime.

Ace Attorney only started using dub voices in Dual Destines and only in animated cutscenes. I doubt many people are attached to a voice cast that they've only heard ~30 minutes of cumulatively.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
Can we please focus on the awesome partnership allowing more anime to get home releases, more streaming opinions, and more dubs? Sad Crying or Very sad

I was praying no one would bring this up.

Not sure why you felt the need to quote me as I was only answering a question asked, clearly you must have missed my glowing comment on page 2 as it's not really more possible to get anymore positive then that.
MatrixGravity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so what about the titles that Crunchyroll originally announced they would be releasing on home video? (Big Order, Berserk, Yamada & The 7 Witches, etc) what will become of those titles? The original article states,

"Crunchyroll had announced at Anime Expo in July that it will start dubbing and releasing some of its anime series on Blu-ray Disc and DVD. In addition to Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Crunchyroll announced plans to release Berserk (new series), Twin Star Exorcists, Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Myriad Colors Phantom World, Big Order, and Gintama on home video with English dubs. According to Funimation, Crunchyroll began the production process on these titles, and Funimation is reviewing the titles based on licensor approval and its own production and release schedule, but the titles have not yet been officially confirmed as part of the partnership.."

This doesn't really sound promising? I was actually looking forward to picking up Myriad Colors Phantom and Yamada and the Seven Witches, but now it seems uncertain if they'll still get released?

Last edited by MatrixGravity on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 13