• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Arrested for Uploading The Seven Deadly Sins Manga to Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
Shaddy_Pl wrote:
It's easy way to make manga legal, and giving publishers a lot of many.
1: Create site like Crunchyroll, but with manga from all publishers like VIZ, Kodansha, YenPress etc., available for every country
2: Each chapter of new manga will cost $0,50, and after 7 days it's free to read.
3: Each user have an account, he send his money (no less than $1) and every time he/she open new chapter, that he didn't read, site took from account $0,50.
4: You can also pay $7 per month if you read a lot.

All chapters are released the same day in Japan and there.

Example:
500 000 peoples read Fairy Tail and Nanatsu no Taizai
each week, Kodansha earn $500 000

Something like that works for music, wher you can buy only one song, not whole album

Something like that wors for books, wher you can read one chapter, not the whole book, and you can even print that chapter.

Why can't something like that works for manga? Why only peoples of few countries can legally read new chapters of manga?

Peoples will pay to read manga in good quality, with professional translation and editing. That would lower amout of scanlation at about 40-50%. You don't need to do a lot, because Kodansha, Yenpress and Viz already did that, but only for US, Canada and UK.
In Canada we can't read Official scans, what are you talking about ? its only the US and Uk ( I think) that have those rights all of us have to pirate.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
In Canada we can't read Official scans, what are you talking about ? its only the US and Uk ( I think) that have those rights all of us have to pirate.
The initial launch of Crunchyroll Manga included 170 territories and I'm pretty sure a number of their titles are straight up global at this point (their most recent round of announcements just said "worldwide"). There may not be as many options as one might like, and sometimes you have no recourse but piracy, but people saying that there are no options in their region for manga are almost certainly wrong.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Yunmeng wrote:
I love how everyone is either justifying pirating or giving a condescending attitude towards pirating.

Lets not go around the bush, if its free most people would rather pick the free one.

I know a few people that would just give up on manga and go to something else if there is no free option. Manga isn't important to them and without pirating they wouldn't have bought those "cool anime merchandise".

My personal opinion on this is that illegal/free/pirated manga is too ingrained into the international anime/manga scene for it to go away.

Piracy is complicated. It's a crime (and rightfully so) because it costs potential money, yet at the same time, it does not cost the original owner any assets they currently have (such as stealing a car). Very often, pirated copies advertises the work, which in turn can increase the potential money a company gets. It's impossible to calculate exactly how much potential money is lost or gained, since it's impossible to tell how many people who pirated the work would have bought it if it were not pirateable, and how many people like something they pirated enough to show their appreciation by buying it.

That said, really niche titles often do benefit from piracy more often than not. I severely doubt Monster Musume would have become as popular as it is now without piracy. Same goes for yuri manga as far as I've seen. Part of it is because fans of small niches are usually more willing to give money to the niche to get more products and to show appreciation for that niche being filled. Also, small niches are high-risk, so seeing which titles of that small niche are popular among pirates can mitigate the risk of choosing something bad that will not sell.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
dark13 wrote:
The initial launch of Crunchyroll Manga included 170 territories and I'm pretty sure a number of their titles are straight up global at this point (their most recent round of announcements just said "worldwide"). There may not be as many options as one might like, and sometimes you have no recourse but piracy, but people saying that there are no options in their region for manga are almost certainly wrong.

Last I checked, Crunchyroll has only Kodansha series, not Shueisha or Shogakukan. So all the popular Weekly Shounen Jump series like One Piece are not available on it. Nor are the popular Weekly Shounen Sunday series.

Viz's version of WSJ does a decent job of covering the popular series that run in WSJ and in Jump Square. However they do not have everything, and it's obvious that there are some things they simply won't ever have such as To Love-ru Darkness. So while Viz has a good selection for their version, it's missing a lot of things. Their process for adding stuff can still easily miss stuff that ends up being popular, like the way they did not have My Hero Academia for quite a while. Of course, they also only have Shueisha stuff available for people to read, and are pretty limited as to what regions the Viz WSJ is available in.

And for Shokakugan, I don't know of any official simulpub efforts for it off the top of my head. Anyone wanting to read the latest chapter of stuff like Detective Conan, or Magi when it comes out, is SOL when it comes to official sources.

This does not include various extras and omake chapters that run in monthly or seasonal magazines rather than the main magazine, or the occasional cross promotional chapter that runs in a different magazine. Those seldom get translated by Crunchyroll of Viz.

In short, legal simulpub options are still pretty immature, and there are a lot of series that can only be read via scanlations, in numerous parts of the world.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Nakurawari wrote:
traitorAIZEN wrote:
Just my unpopular opinion.

If they keep this up, there won't be anyone who would translate/upload it to manga sites anymore. Then without anyone uploading it, there would be less and less people who would know that these mangas exist. Who would even buy mangas they don't know?

If these manga sharing sites/groups close, it would slowly but surely kill the industry.

The people who watch free scans that also buy physical or digital releases are in the minority. So yes, scanlations are hurting the industry.

Citation needed.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
i still don't understand why they do it, each weeks Shonen Jump for example is available digitally via the Jump App on Android or IOS in English for about 80p, i mean 80p!!!!

and as for The Seven Deadly Sins you can read each week FOR FREE on Crunchyroll and all you have to put up with is a 30 second advert before you read it

People will complain about prices until it's free. People will complain about advertisements until there are none.

phoenixalia wrote:
First off all, I come from India.

There is no manga here in book stores, none where I live. I would have to travel all the way to the north of my country IF and only IF there is manga available there. My anime situation is pretty much the same. Many of you are only thinking about the US or at least you're only mentioning the US.

In your case, I'd recommend to contact Viz, and preferably other publishers, to get manga digitally available in India. (I think of Viz first because it is by far the most active manga publisher in getting manga available in other countries.) Viz has already covered most countries in the Anglosphere; India, I would say, is the next biggest market and one that'd likely be highly valued.

The issue with the incident in this article, however, concerns the fact that the scanlators were able to put up their chapters before the intended release date. That means there is a brief period where the scanlations have no competition, not even from its official publisher. Readers who want to know NOW and cannot wait will turn to that if they find it, even Japanese readers, which is not nearly as pronounced if the scanlations were released same-day.

CrowLia wrote:
Not to mention English Jump is only available in the US (and Canada?) which, believe it or not, are not the only countries that host people who read manga

And the UK, and Ireland, and South Africa, and Australia, and New Zealand. Viz is actually pretty active when it comes to international availability, limited largely by licensing issues and that it doesn't translate to any language but English.

CrowLia wrote:
The publisher that's bringing Shueisha stuff over is Panini, which has a long record in Europe but only got into the manga business in my country two years ago.

Is that the same Panini that makes those World Cup stickers?

BigHeadClan wrote:
They need more publishers if they are going to start cracking down on scans, or rolling them into services like Crunchy Roll. What's happening now is essentially how the music industry was in the late 90's early 2000s.

The music industry never fully recovered though. They DID recover from death but are in kind of a stunted state, even counting the rise of buying digital singles. (At least, this is what Ed Robertson of Barenaked Ladies says.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5