• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Perfect Insider

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninamo-L

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:49 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:
Especially the bloody plush animal that was once removed from the room was a huge red flag. Since then the only question were the actual details of the jailbreak, but there has also been some progress on that, altough the reveal with the elevator was done really badly as others pointed out.

The only bloody thing that was removed was the doll after the murder of Magata's parents. Also there was absolutely nothing wrong with the elevator reveal, in episode 2 you can clearly see the elevator is on the "B2" floor and when you see it again in episode 3 it is on "R" so you could pick that up on your own, and the reason why you don't see it switch the first time when they look through the surveillance footage is because they don't look far enough into it. To be extra precise in episode 3 they look up until 00:03:40 and in episode 6 they look up until 00:03:54 when the switch happens.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But it was Moe who articulated the first big reveal this week, when she stated that Magata's murderer got in with Magata. Fifteen years ago, Magata entered her isolation chamber pregnant, and since then had been sharing her home with a child. This solution, absurd as it was, certainly made sense of some of the details of her living quarters. The random toys and preoccupation with sewing seemed a lot less incongruous with the knowledge that Magata was raising a child.

You say absurd, but a number of us picked up on it ages ago, which is at least the sign of a somewhat good mystery.

Although I only really pieced together what was the other strong possibility past what the episode explained, last episode, and it is much more grimmer. It is the possibility that Magata actually killed her own daughter to fake her death, its the strongest possibility that explains the big gap in interviews and why she looked so young. The end of the episode seemed to be leaning on this answer too.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Quote:
But it was Moe who articulated the first big reveal this week, when she stated that Magata's murderer got in with Magata. Fifteen years ago, Magata entered her isolation chamber pregnant, and since then had been sharing her home with a child. This solution, absurd as it was, certainly made sense of some of the details of her living quarters. The random toys and preoccupation with sewing seemed a lot less incongruous with the knowledge that Magata was raising a child.

You say absurd, but a number of us picked up on it ages ago, which is at least the sign of a somewhat good mystery.

Tbh I dropped the show back in episode 4 but even since then I had already considered the possibility that she was pregnant when she was locked in. Back then I thought there was no way they were gonna pull that because it was so ridiculous, and yet here we are. Just because some of us could predict it, doesn't automatically make it a "good" mistery, it's extremely absurd and farfetched as a twist
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
...it's extremely absurd and farfetched as a twist

Why?

I wouldn't put it past her to have planned pregnancy. She was cold blooded about biology. She liked blood. Giving birth wouldn't have fazed her. Thousands upon thousands of women have given birth and lived in isolation. At least she could ask for whatever she wanted. When she talked to anyone outside, she just had to do it from an isolated room in her apartment. She probably saw it as an experiment. I wouldn't blame a kid for killing her. And I would put it past her to kill a kid or use one as a weapon.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Not because it was or wasn't character appropriate (like I said, I dropped it in episode 4), but because it's trying too damn hard to be "shocking". It really doesn't get anymore tryhard than "she was pregnant when she was locked away after murdering her parents and 15 years later her own child that no one even knew to exist previously was the one who murdered her"
Ninamo-L

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:51 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
because it's trying too damn hard to be "shocking"

What is "shocking" or not is very subjective, I found the part where Shiki was seducing her Uncle more shocking than the pregnancy reveal for example. The reveal makes sense, explains and connects all the clues that have been given, gives new meaning to things we've seen in flashbacks. All the things a good reveal in a good mystery should do.
Being shocking (or not) doesn't make it absurd, farfetched or tryhard either.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
Ninamo-L wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
because it's trying too damn hard to be "shocking"

What is "shocking" or not is very subjective, I found the part where Shiki was seducing her Uncle more shocking than the pregnancy reveal for example. The reveal makes sense, explains and connects all the clues that have been given, gives new meaning to things we've seen in flashbacks. All the things a good reveal in a good mystery should do.
Being shocking (or not) doesn't make it absurd, farfetched or tryhard either.

Yeah, I didn't find it shocking or tryhard either. Once the girl seduced her uncle I was past being shocked and moved on to the consequences. I think perhaps that actually watching the show has made it more feasible to us because it's been told in a way that presents it logically. I mean, condense The Hobbit into one sentence about major plot points and it's ridiculous, but follow the progression of the characters of Bilbo and Thorin in Tolkien's well-built world while actually reading the books and you're convinced. No plot is ridiculous or tryhard in the hands of a storyteller who makes it work.
chito895

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
it's trying too damn hard to be "shocking".

I agree with Ninamo and Sunflower here. More shocking scenes have been the ones when spoiler[Shiki broke in laughter after killing her parents, or the seductions, or how the corpse (I already don't know if it's her real body) of Shiki got out of her bedroom.] And all of those are perfect in the scenario the show has been trying to convey since episode 1. Shocking and try-hard would have been if the spoiler[theory of the baby] hadn't been hinted since Moe and Saikawa entered her room and see all those spoiler[kids' objects like toys and dolls.]

But anyway, I liked this episode. It was very satisfying that for the second time one of my predicitions or theories were right. Although the show is a bit crazy with its mysteries, nothing have felt out of place, and as I've said, the solution to some mysteries have been hinted before the revelations (with the exception of the elevator escape, I think, which takes out points in the shkw's favor). Can't wait to see next episode!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
If, as I and others fear, spoiler[Dr. Magata raised and then murdered her child in order to escape], I do hope they catch spoiler[her] and throw away the key. I know the book has sequels, so I hope spoiler[she] doesn't become the sort of recurring villain who's always just out of reach.

I'll say that while I only voted for this in the top 5 survey because I haven't seen all that many great shows this year, it has been a compelling slow burn of a series that gradually drew me in. Saikawa and Nishinosono have grown on me as well.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Although I only really pieced together what was the other strong possibility past what the episode explained, last episode, and it is much more grimmer. It is the possibility that Magata actually killed her own daughter to fake her death, its the strongest possibility that explains the big gap in interviews and why she looked so young. The end of the episode seemed to be leaning on this answer too.

Have they actually determined how the body died? They ruled it murder as the arms couldn't have been removed during a suicide, but that still doesn't preclude death from natural causes or a suicide followed by mutilation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
scineram

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:21 am Reply with quote
One of the things I left open earlier was whose corpse it was. Moé did say that she looked unusually young, but her sister waved it away as a result of living in the lab. If the corpse had been Shiki's child, that would have meant she killed her own daughter, but not to escape, since she wasn't in prison.
This show isn't about that. With Shiki holding bodies to be simply vessels it only makes sense if she considers this as she living on in her daughter, quite literally.
Kevelinu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
WTF that kind of rating for that episode??
It was much better than that...
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
with Souhei reciting lines like “people only live for fifteen years, at which point they kill their parents and become fourteen,”

Wow, it seems like the subs made this more weird than it already was. The point was that in their 15th year (that is, after they turn 14) people kill their parents.

I also think the rating is way too low, but considering how Nick blew up at a completely normal episode which just had a few minutes of people summing up the mystery...

I think this episode was perfectly fine for the kind of show this is. Yes, the mystery was in a way over-the-top and campy, and perhaps the show takes itself a bit too seriously for that. But this show is not mainly about the mystery, and even this episode was at least as much about the characters as the whodunit.
neph909

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
this show is a great example of why i dislike many anime mystery shows. they take that one person who maybe you've seen for a episode or two, or that one idea thats stupidly far fetched, and are like (in my best spaceball impersonation "ha ha fooled you") i think a "c" sounds about right for the episode and the show as a whole. this show will be easily forgotten.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I thought there was one more episode left. Confused

Last edited by Animechic420 on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8