• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Discs of Steel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
With all this talk of crowdfunding, you guys are missing the true intent of this article:

poop.bike exists
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
With all this talk of crowdfunding, you guys are missing the true intent of this article:

poop.bike exists

That website is pretty entrancing...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
About $2,500 left for Mami.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
It's pretty rare for someone to say, "I'll go out of my way to tell others about this thing that I don't care about myself on the off chance that maybe one of them cares about it."

It's not so rare, when it's your job.

Please, go on...

Ahem..
Quote:
Bamble:
Quote:
Some people are merely pointing out that if it were opened up (with appropriate legal measures having been put into place)
And how do you expect them to do that, outside of buying out those contracts?

Again, we're not expecting something as the licensor issues are well known. We are just pointing out some obvious facts.
Quote:
Quote:
I think that still leaves the vast majority of the rest of the world, perhaps explaining the fewer complaints here?
I think Australia's out, too. But I'm not 100% certain.

Can't find any confirmation of Australia being restricted, and some forum discussions I've read suggest there might also be Australian backers. So I call fake on that unless you can provide a source.
Quote:
Greed:
Quote:
I don't think threatening to leave entirely is that much of a threat for most people.
It is, if they already bought 3/4 of a show. Rolling Eyes

Not a healthy business practice if your goal is getting people committed to future multi-part sets of other shows...
Quote:
Quote:
No, businesses run on offering something that someone wants
Tell that to cable companies who keep ignoring cord-cutters and refusing to sell their programs a la carte.

Everyone realises by now cord-cutters are a reality. Cable companies can only keep blindfolds on for so long...
Quote:
Quote:
And it's not ephemeral at all to think that being on a well-known site would make a difference.
A well-known site is only going to be as successful as the demand for the product in the first place.

A demand for a product is only going to be realized if the site in question is perceived as legitimate and has a proven history to make it trusthworthy for customers to deal with. If someone creates a clone of Amazon and names it something like Anzon, do you honestly think the traffic just appears magically, even if all finances were in order? No, that'll take time and hard work.
Quote:
Quote:
People want something they feel like they can trust to some degree.
So you trust a site where your personal info gets hacked?

That breach has been dealt with. The site has been around for a while and is quite prominent. Tell me of other major popular sites that have not been the subject of attacks? Good practice is making sure a possible hack doesn't do too much damage, like avoiding storing unsalted unencrypted passwords in plain text...
Quote:
Quote:
If what you're saying is that it's relevant because the person actually conducting the project, in this case Anime Sols, could lie/renege, then it still isn't relevant because that is a possibility of any crowdfunding.
Exactly, but I wasn't saying it about Sols. My point is that you trust Kickstarter way too much, just because of its name.

It has a proven history. I wish Anime Sols the best, but it's yet to live its past...
Quote:
Quote:
Again, if you make your goal, who cares whether or not it was due to repeat donors or not? Santa Company might have barely made its goal, but it still made it regardless of why people gave it money.
It's called diminishing returns. You can't always expect fans to fund these anime on Kickstarter.

Flamingfirewire:
Quote:
The main goal for the Santa company was $50,000 - the final amount they raised was $72,270 USD with 836 backers. That is in to way "barely" making your funding.
Considering how long it took the minimum goal, I still consider it to be "barely" successful.

And you can't always expect to fund these anime on Anime Sols either. Your point was?

Nor is the late late-arrival funding Kickstarter exclusive, just take a look into your rear mirror for some of Anime Sols own shows...
Quote:
Quote:
Running a business always carries the risk of losing money, and you won't make any money if you refuse to go forward every time things didn't quite turn out as you hoped.
Yes, but you don't go forward by throwing away more money.

And if you every time leave something unfinished, I don't think there'll be much of a road to go forward on...
Quote:
Quote:
It might affect the fans wanting to collect the show, but piracy usually doesn't affect the decision to buy or not.
Again, then explain Sailor Moon.

No, back at you. Sailor Moon hardly had anything to do with ADV's and Geneon's demise. What I've heard the uncut version sold quite well. It might not have done that without the fansubs generating interest as the alternative was DiCs butchered broadcast version.
Sales of DiCs version on DVD, however, were a disaster...
Quote:
Quote:
Most large game publishers and better known game devs consistently blame piracy for why something they make doesn't sell well,
If they mean the type of piracy which forces programmers to work long hours to make shitty games, while screwing them out of overtime, then I'll agree.

I'm pretty sure there were flops of surefire top gaming properties in the past as well, before this thing called 'file-sharing' became commonplace. I hear some of them even got buried in the desert somewhere..
Quote:
Quote:
PC gaming is generally far cheaper and more available than anime -
Not true. Especially when you have to upgrade your comp with the right software to help it better run those memory hogs.

Depends on the types of games. Not everyone's a shooter fanboy/-gal...
Quote:
Quote:
What are some recent ones you had in mind?
Just about every thing based off a dating sim or erogame.

And those were what Flamingwirefire was referring to as 'visual novels', if you read his question.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Onii-sama e... is also on its final set, and I doubt any of the future Pierrot 80s mahou shoujos will get funded, Mami was the major title anyone really cared for of those.

It depends on what's offered as an incentive.

For me, the main selling point of any of these campaigns, whether they be on KS, AnimeSols, wherever, is if the campaign offers original artwork at a reasonable price. This varies per campaign and artist - There are some artists that I would drop 1K+ on to get a dynamite sketch. But there are others where I would only spend a couple hundred. It just depends on the artist involved, and the quality of the artwork given as a reward.

What prevented me from donating more to the Mami campaign is that none of the tiers offer any original artwork.

My hope is that future Pierrot endeavors will offer original artwork as a reward. They don't require too much in terms of cost for a company to provide, but they can provide a much needed chunk to fund any campaign.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Flamingfirewire:

Quote:
It might affect the fans wanting to collect the show, but piracy usually doesn't affect the decision to buy or not.

Again, then explain Sailor Moon.

Considering the length, butchered TV dub, and the demographic of that show in North America and abroad (all DiC's original advertising being aimed towards young girls), I would think it's not surprising that not enough little girls went out to buy the show in any form.

There is of course a demographic outside of that, but considering how the show was mainly brought over and marketed to that demographic - not knowing much (or anything really) about the 'Sailor Moon situation' - I'd say that's why it didn't do so well. It's the first impression that matters most when you're dealing with people asking for an "authentic", "unaltered" experience.

Licensing fees versus the amount of units sold may also be a part of why Pioneer and ADV couldn't keep releasing further sets - there's a market, but perhaps not quite as big as the rights holder in Japan think there should be in order to release the show.

Another show that falls under the "only got a partial release" was D. Gray-man. It's stuck in legal limbo for who knows what reason, and is probably facing a similar issue that Sailor Moon faces - the JPN licensor just want too much money for what it could possibly make back in this market.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
From the lack of sales for those series and many others (includ. Case Closed), that just makes it obvious that there are not ENOUGH fans

Enough paying fans, you mean. Most of them were willing to overhype it and torrent it, though.

Spreading the word is fine, but when a show is that long, you hit exactly what you mentioned to someone else - diminishing returns.

With such a long, episodic show deeply drenched in Japanese culture that also had such a messed up DVD release (not really rectified until the complete season sets, yet those still had issues with minor screen edits left from the edited TV broadcast) and many other issues (many different SKUs and with the original run having very few episodes per set ~3 episode sets for a 700+ episode show? Really?!~, among Americanization and other english dub edits in its original run and one of the OP+ED missing from the show due to music issues) the show faced many issues - many imposed by the JPN licensors (TMS).

In the case of Detective Conan, there were simply too many issues for the "hard core fans" to give a damn about the release. When your fan base (anime fans) demands perfection and an "authentic" release, and then the company doesn't, many of those fans who have already imported what they want of it will not give a second glance to what they see as a "bastardization" or "defilement" of their favourite show.

While I can stand back and understand all the issues, accept it for what it is, and support what is admittedly a less than perfect release because I just want to see more released here, many can't, and as a result the show failed to grow a dedicated fan base willing to buy Detective Conan goods in NA.

When anyone finds about any sort of censorship or change in a videogame, many decide not to buy it (or just illegally download it), and this sometimes leads to no more games in the series being released, or no more being translated into English. It's the exact same thing with anime - the only difference is that anime has a smaller market than video games do.

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
PC gaming is generally far cheaper and more available than anime -

Not true. Especially when you have to upgrade your comp with the right software to help it better run those memory hogs.

Not every game is a memory hog. If you want to play the latest and greatest you'll run into problems - but considering there are over 20 years worth of games to play (many which stand the test of time, many others that don't) and so many indie games that play on just about anything, any person owning a computer from the last five years has many games to play.

It helps when things like Steam, GOG.com and the Humble Bundle provide very user-friendly ways to play games without hassle, for cheap, and with many titles available that work on many of the aforementioned computers. PC gaming really is open to most people who know how to operate a computer.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Flaming:
Quote:
Considering the length, butchered TV dub, and the demographic of that show in North America and abroad (all aimed towards young girls), I would think it's not surprising that not enough little girls went out to buy the show in any form.

Technically, Sailor Moon has female fans of all ages. But the ones who should've bought the show were the ones who torrented it, instead.

Quote:
There is of course a demographic outside of that, but considering how the show was mainly brought over and marketed to that demographic - not knowing much about the 'Sailor Moon situation' - I'd say that's why it didn't do so well.

So explain why the manga was a hit.

Quote:
Licensing fees versus the amount of units sold may also be a part of why Pioneer and ADV couldn't keep releasing further sets - there's a market, but perhaps not quite as big as the rights holder in Japan think there should be in order to release the show.

You mean there's not enough of an ethical market for it.

Quote:
Another show that falls under the "only got a partial release" was D. Gray-man. It's stuck in legal limbo for who knows what reason, and is probably facing a similar issue that Sailor Moon faces - the JPN licensor just want too much money for what it could possibly make back in this market.

Unlike the Sailor Moon anime, D. Gray-man actually made money here. So my guess is that they undersold that show to FUNimation, and think they can get a better deal elsewhere.

Quote:
Spreading the word is fine, but when a show is that long, you hit exactly what you mentioned to someone else - diminishing returns.

True, but the manga's still selling here.

Quote:
In the case of Detective Conan, there were simply too many issues for the "hard core fans" to give a damn about the release.

But the main issue is that they didn't actually want to pay for it, because they had fun watching it for free.

Quote:
When your fan base (anime fans) demands perfection and an "authentic" release, and then the company doesn't, many of those fans who have already imported what they want of it will not give a second glance to what they see as a "bastardization" or "defilement" of their favourite show.

But let's be honest here. They wouldn't have supported Case Closed if it had a perfect release.

Quote:
PC gaming really is open to most people who know how to operate a computer.

More like nerdy basement-dwellers into dungeon-hacking and gun-railing. Or at least that's what it's become.

But anyway, $2,600 for Mami.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
@GATSU about the Manga vs. Anime releases of Sailor Moon and CS/DC

When it comes to anime versus manga, you need to keep them as two distinct entities. With manga, and specifically the titles we're talking about, those all depend on who is selling them and how. When it comes to Case Closed, both Viz and FUNimation are getting their assets from different people and are paying different prices for their materials. While one company may be able to subsidize its less successful releases with its more successful releases, another might not be able to. There are far too many variable between mediums and companies to say that they are handled the same.

The anime adaptation of Sailor Moon (even in its uncut form) does not follow the manga verbatim. I'm not a Sailor Moon 'expert', but from what I've heard from fans of the manga, many enjoy it more than they did the anime due to its format - it was faster to read through the story than it was to sit down and watch every season of it. The same thing applies to all manga for them.

The anime adaptation of Detective Conan involves many filler cases not present in the manga (many of which are terrible and not worth re-watching). The manga has far less edits than the anime - only the main characters names are changed. Even between an anime and manga there are purists who believe only the manga is worthwhile. Some people just like to read more. When reading in sequential order, it is far more interesting to read the manga than the anime because there is a much higher ratio of interesting cases versus non-interesting cases - there's less 'padding' in the manga version. There are many reasons for why the Viz published many is still being released in NA right now.

@GATSU about the FUNimation Detective Conan releases

I think that had FUNimation released a perfect release from the get-go without the edits, TMS meddling, and small episode per DVD runs, the show would have at least seen more support than it did. If they handled Detective Conan like they do with all of their current releases, I think it could have stood beside shows like Fairy Tail - for at least a little while longer than it did.

I think that the movie releases would've been more successful in that manner too (except for Detective Conan Movie 11 - that one's seriously awful).

At the end of the day, no one can tell how something would have gone, or who would have bought it if certain conditions had been met, because the current anime landscape is different than it was when Case Closed was being pushed for Network syndication and Americanization above all else in its first run. Given the right circumstances, Detective Conan could probably have done better in the NA, but that would have required a different environment than the one it had (one where streaming was the norm for simulcasts shows, where the show was released here within a year or two of the show starting in Japan, where TMS knew when to let a foreign licensor make the best decision for the show in that region, where 13- or 26- episode releases were the norm, etc.)

At the end of the day, I'm of three minds when it comes to anything animated Detective Conan/Case Closed:

(1) The whole Detective Conan situation is just a series of very unfortunate events. RIP Case Closed.

(2) In the end, Detective Conan fans did end up getting more than we should have expected given the circumstances. It had a good run. Sure hope we do get those movies!

(3) Just give us more of the Case Closed TV dub! Another 26-episodes at least, it was just starting to get good!

@GATSU on the PC Gaming comment
I'm just going to assume this was a joke and move on.
ThisJustThis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
There's a point when "spreading awareness" becomes annoying over-zealous evangelism, to put it kindly. The Mami Doomsday Countdown certainly has not won me over.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
How much of Conan's changes were TMS and how much was Funi? America was one of the only countries those kinds of changes happened. Why would TMS order a bunch of changes for the US but not all those European countries? Do they think America is just too dumb while Europe is not?

Well maybe. It wasn't a battle shonen so it wasn't going to last. The only 100+ episode anime that do well in America are those fighting shonen shows for kids like DBZ and Naruto. Conan is a talky mystery show for kids with not much action. It's Shin-chan, Gintama and Keroro Gunso all over again. Hundreds of episodes of comedy and drama don't hold people very well like battles here.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Sales of DiCs version on DVD, however, were a disaster...

Actually, according to ADV, both the dub and sub releases of Sailor Moon sold very well: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2004-03-11/adv-stops-sailor-moon
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I visited poop.bike...

...why, indeed.

I may or may not have just registered my own domain because of this article. Thanks, Justin.
doctorx0079

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
As I'm sure people in the forums will point out, Discotek has released the entire Fist of the North Star franchise on DVD already.

Well, I'm pointing out in the forums that Discotek has NOT released the entire Fist of the North Star franchise on DVD already. Specifically, there were theatrical movies released over the past few years that haven't had an English-language release and are reportedly awesome.

anime#5024
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_of_the_North_Star:_The_Legends_of_the_True_Savior
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Are they awesome? I'm a huge Fist of the North Star fan, but it appears that all those recent anime were pretty bad (even the one based on a 90s novel that Bronson and Hara wrote taking place after the ending) and are just side stories or original "re-imaginings" meant to make a quick buck off of big fans. I do like the idea of a fake funeral for Raoh though, it even got a writeup in a British newspaper.

Appears that the movies didn't do too well in Japan though; they probably should have tried for accurately re-adapting the manga, specifically the parts that take place after the end of the anime.

TL;DR, Discotek released the original classic TV show and movie, which is all that matters to most people who like FotNS. :P

What's more important IMO is the manga, which the guy who asked the question about crowdfunding was talking about when he mentions Jojo and Fist. Too bad since I'm collecting the Japanese volumes of both series, it would be a tad too late if that ever happened... (but if it did, one word: BUNKOBAN!) But hopefully someone out there somewhere would be able to conceive of a way that it could be done, I'm not much of an expert so I won't comment.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
How much of Conan's changes were TMS and how much was Funi? America was one of the only countries those kinds of changes happened. Why would TMS order a bunch of changes for the US but not all those European countries? Do they think America is just too dumb while Europe is not?
Yeah, probably.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9