• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Article on Anime Junkies

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Argentum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:25 am Reply with quote
Everybody who agrees with UV are all a bunch of motherf*ckers who deserve to die. Why but why can't people stand when something is being distributated for free. The only thing all the crap anime companies in America want is to rip all you people off. First of all the sell anime and manga at ridiculous high prices and they cut half of scenes out of it "because it isn't apropriate and children might get a trauma" i say screw them just because America has the most psyco's in the world doesn't mean that the rest of the world does.
I know that AJ isn't all right in this matter but still who can blame a group who distributing media in they're free time. fansubbing isn't something you do in a sec it's some hard shit and for people not to apreceate that screw them and if your down with them screw you too The main reason for America to have so much anime is because of fansubbers. So they should have one thing to say about this. F*cking kapitalst bastards the only thing they want (the anime companies) is to suck you bastards dry untill you don't have a single penny left. I hope for your sakes that you realise that before it's to late. I'm telling you America will be the downfall of this planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Not Edited -t, I'm going to go very lenient on the rules in this thread. As long as the post says something, I'llleave it. If it's pure spam, it dies. Despite being ever so crass, this one had a point.]
Sakaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:25 am Reply with quote
As much as i hate animejunkies for doing this and agree that they should be shut down, they're the only fansubbers doing (Well not really doing since they stopped at episode 3 and in japan the series is on episode 37 which destroys the whole point of subbing it.) Bomberman Jetters which is one of my favorites. So if they are gonna shut down can someone point me in the direction of where to get or buy raw episodes or any others who plan on subbing it? Thanks a lot...
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:40 am Reply with quote
Starting off I would like to clear something up for Blackfel.

Quote:

I mentioned earlier that I bought the original Gundam series. For whatever reason, Bandai decided to release only dubbed DVDs. Forget about those of us who don’t like dubbing. I fully expect that to happen again when they do Gundam Seed.

With a little bit of industry research, using ANN's own Anime Encyclopedia, it's possible to find out why this happened with MSG. It's not because the evil company known as Bandai hates their customers and therefore withheld the Japanese language track. The fact of the matter is that due to licensing issues, they just weren't able to get ahold of the Japanese version. Now as far as your fears for SEED go, they are completely irrational in my view. Bandai holds the license for this one (at least I think Bandai does??) and have started the dubbing on it. Got the dubbing info straight from one of the VA's at a panel at ACEN. I happen to know that Wing and 08th MS both have Japanese language and I'm pretty sure that all the others do as well, except for MSG. So it's pretty pesimistic to say that it won't have the Japanese language since at least 1 of their holdings was dub only (which they couldn't help).

The other point that irks me:

Quote:

This is true, but is also the heart of another topic: what happens if you want to watch the series the way the Japanese presented it? I’m a purist: I prefer to watch anime in the original Japanese with subtitles.

Why is it that almost everytime someone wants to defend fansubbers they tend to start to sway back towards this oxymoronic B/S. If you are a true purist and really wish to see it the way the Japanese intended it to be seen, then you either need to subscribe to TV Tokyo, the International Channel, or any other stations that are first air situations, in Japanese and without subs. Those who say they are watching fansubs because it is the pure form as the Japanese meant it to be seen are the same people I expect to see drinking 'purified' water that used an oily rag as a filter. IF you wish to be pure to the anime, learn Japanese, don't read someone's English translation then try to justify it by saying it's a pure form. And those who feel I'm wrong, good for you that's what's great about this country, but remember not everything translates across cultures, giving us the above mentioned "mass naked child event" which could describe anything from child molestation to a baby swim class (For those who don't know in baby swim classes the babies don't wear anything, not even diapers, so more than 3 children could technically be called a mass naked child event.

And if you still want to believe that watching fansubs is watching pure Japanese culture, then let me know, I've got some nice drinking water I can send you. (Legal disclaimer: purity of water not gauranteed, nor present.)
Sakaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:47 am Reply with quote
How do you subscribe to TV Tokyo if you live in the U.S.A? I'd like to know! That would solve my Jetters problem. Anime hyper
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:00 am Reply with quote
Sakaki wrote:
How do you subscribe to TV Tokyo if you live in the U.S.A? I'd like to know! That would solve my Jetters problem. Anime hyper

If you get the right satellite dish, you can get any channel in the world you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:04 am Reply with quote
mpk wrote:
- Japanese anime industry has survived decades without revenue from international market. Why should there be such a great need of that now?

Because Japan, since 1990, has had a constant decline in its economy. It's the 2nd largest economy in the world, and it's been SHRINKING for 13 years. Sometimes one sector or another would grow -- manga continued growing until 1995 -- but on the whole, Japan's become less and less of an economic power for 13 years. Meanwhile, America's 90s featured significant growth in the economy. Even now America's economy is still -growing-, although significantly slower than it had been 4 years ago.

In Japan, there's more anime available now, but it's not really selling much better than it was 13 years ago.. most productions earn enough money to make another production, which in turn makes enough money to make another production.. The industry is going nowhere fast, and without foreign support it could collapse in on itself and we'd be left with no anime whatsoever.

Last year the manga industry in Japan grew, and it looks like it's continuing to grow. Likewise, the anime industry is showing signs of turning around. The domestic anime market is only ~7-8% of the size of the Japanese market, but it's growing much faster than the Japanese market currently. As such, there is a LOT of new money being poured into the anime industry, more than what you might expect.

But the Japanese anime industry is still in need of external support, which is where funding from America (and theoretically elsewhere) come in. If you can get a few extra million dollars by doing nothing other than letting a company buy the rights to a title, why not sell the property and use that money to make another series? (Any of the ~900 domestically licensed titles) If you could get a few million dollars by going along with their ideas, why not do that also and make anime more suited for the American market? (Big O 2)

Quote:
- In the essence of intellectual property, anime is no different from mp3s. I would think most of you download your fair share of mp3s. Would you say the people who rip the cds are evil / immoral? Maybe. But still doesn't stop you downloading mp3s and later going out to by the CDs.

MP3s themselves aren't inherantly illegal. MP3 is merely a technology, much like DivX. Having a DivX video does not necessarily mean the video is illegal. Ditto for the MP3. The legal problems occur when the video/mp3 is transferred to another person.

I have plenty of legitimate MP3s on my computer, made from CDs I own, because I find it more convenient to listen to music on my computer than I do on my CD player.

I'm sure that there are people with legitimate divx encodes, too, made from their own DVDs because it's more convenient to watch their movies on the computer than it is to hunt through their collection looking for a specific title. In both instances, it's perfectly legal to have the file in question.

The legal problems result when the files are offered for download.

Quote:
- Illegal piracy of intellectual property is a vassisitude of the internet. It happens; live with it.

I think that intellectual property is something of a farce.. However, this isn't IP, this is an actual PHYSICAL product.. or would be, if the fansubbers waited for the DVD to be released.

I think you were saying that "everyone pirates" on the Internet. Well, yeah, quite a few people do. I know of only two people who claim they don't have any illegal MP3s what-so-ever.. one because he has no interest in bands (domestic or international) and the other has a HD too small to store many MP3s, so he saves the space for his programs.

I agree that MP3 piracy is a worldwide concern (heck, just today NYTimes says that 1 in 6 Americans uses P2P. That alone should give one pause, considering half the population is old... and the bulk of P2P users are young.)

Quote:
- You can only blame technology (divx, mirc, bit torrent) for illegal fansubs. But remember those are the same things that got anime popular in the US and started the international anime dvd industry. So if you want technology you have to take the side effects too.

I don't recall any of those technologies being necessary. What I _DO_ recall is Usenet, which is effectively the world's largest discussion forum. Without Usenet, fans couldn't get together and talk about the anime they liked. rec.arts.anime (which is basically dead) was one of the driving forces in early fandom, at least as powerful as any of the above you mentioned.

Quote:
- Anime companies are making money. DVD distributors are making money. #AJ are happily subbing away. The cheap people are happily watching their divx downloads. The rich people are happily watching their DVDs.

I don't think this has had net zero effect. And, anime is not a right; anime is a luxury, which inherantly means rich people can buy more anime than poor people. However, poor people can still buy anime... just not as much as rich people.

A few months ago, I wrote that it would be possible to have a reasonable anime collection and only have a part-time job at Wal-Mart. The reason was that someone asked how it would be possible to have what appeared to be ~$2500-worth of manga.. the answer is "even with a low salary, it would be only a matter of time".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:04 am Reply with quote
Thanks for telling me ^^ Does anyone know where i can get Raw Jetters episodes? I really have been looking for those forever...
Tiresias

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:05 am Reply with quote
Exactly Cassandra. Personally, I use Dish Network and have the possibility of getting TV Tokyo with an International package, but seeing how I don't speak Japanese yet, there's really no point.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I was wrong, they offer me TV Japan.

Last edited by Tiresias on Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why should I care? Why can't I, being from Europe, get a little more consideration for my situation? I think fansubs are definately partially to credit for the Anime popularity in the US, why shouldn't Europe be allowed to develop a decent Anime fanbase in the same way?

Because what AJ are doing is illegal.AJ is providing licensed anime to americans for free,just because it isnt licensed in Holland makes no difference.They should be shut down regardless of the fact that people from othercountrys may be using their site as well.Now if it was a dutch site whose target audience were ducth citezens I would understand but its not.

Quote:
Not only is it limited, I buy MVM releases too, and they are most of the time actually just bad quality. Ah! My Goddess was in NTSC format, and it was full of artefacts. You're Under Arrest the complete OVA's consists of a bad quality hardsubbed VHS conversion, only with english dub. Then there's Urusei Yatsura movies 1 and 3, thank god in Japanese, but also hardsubbed VHS conversions. Ah! My Goddess the Movie fortunately seems to be ok (I didn't watch it yet though). I hope they won't butcher Fruits Basket either. Anyways, thank god we have Dynamic Visions here. They rule.

Exactly so I can sympathise with your situation but that doesnt make it anymore approiprate to support an american website which is illegally distrubuting anime.

Quote:

Honestly, I'd rather spend my money effectively, and just download the fansubs. Which is - even though they may be licensed in America - totally legal (at least, according to the fansub standards).

By doing this your undermining the American anime companys and as cookie mentioned they often hold the worldwide rights and are probably the ones who sell the anime to the dutch companys.So yes in actual fact it will probably affect the ducth anime market.A lot of the anime companys here in the UK are American such as Manga and ADV so AJ are in actual fact huring both American and british anime companys.

Quote:

Excuse me, but why are you being so offensive? Does it make you cool? Does it make your opinion more valueable than mine? Why not call me a nazi while you're at it. And yes, I indeed do have some anti-American sentiments, and no doubt that influences my point of view in some way. It is a fact though that most American people only see their own situation and don't consider people living in other countries, I have observed it so many times.

How may I ask am I being offensive,yuor the one generalizing and calling Americans arrogant.I find that offensive and Im not even American.Whats with the frankly stupid Nazi comments,why exactly would I call you a Nazi may I ask? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Woah, Mr Mania, calm down. I don't think Grauw meant anything that way. He has some serious claims -- what about non-Americans? what about importing? -- to which there are reasonable answers.

I adressed(or at least tried to address)his serious questions.I simply felt there was no need to start calling Americans arrogant and implying americans dont care about anyone other than America.He's even admitted himself that he holds anti-american sentiments so I was just stating the truth.Sorry if it sounding like I was jumping you for it Grauw its just I've had enough of hearing people crticise America lately.

Last edited by Mr Mania on Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:23 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
1: comes to states as soon as it comes out in japan or shortley after ie a month or so very likely for the big name projects. didn't Vampire Hunter D bloodlust get a US release before japan?

At ACen, the State of the Industry Panel was discussing simultaneous releases in Japan and America.. and while it can happen for DVDs and movies and such (and has happened, in some cases), odds are there won't be a simultaneous broadcast for TV episodes, simply because of the differences in how the broadcast industry works.

Quote:
But I also have to remind my self the average animefan doesnt download fansubs. The Majority of fans downloading and getting tape subs and such is alot more hardcore then the average anime fan.

"More hardcore" I'm not sure I agree with... but we are the "vocal minority". For every one person you hear talking about their favorite series, there are dozens more who simply go out and buy it. That's what happens when 4-5 million people watch DBZ. If you go to most anime forums, it's one of the most villified anime series, but it -sells-, and it sells -well-.

That's one distinction that needs to be made... For everyone who goes to conventions, who downloads fansubs, who writes on any forum about anime, there are many, many more who simply listen to what their friends have said and buy that way, or who see something on the shelf and buy without care. Our purchasing tendencies are probably dissimilar to the "silent majority" because we are more vocal in our opinions, and thus might be more selective in what and how we want to watch something.

Sakaki wrote:
Does anyone know where i can get Raw episodes?

Don't ask for files here. We don't do'em.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Imperial Fist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:35 am Reply with quote
money makes the world go round. I am 15 and i dont have a job (trying to get one but its hard) so i dont have much money but i save and i save and if im gonna spend money i wanna make shrue its the stuff i want so? I saw Band of Brothers on tv i got the dvd set (expensive) and read the book i saw it on tv free (coulda dl'ed it but i wanted to by dvd's). I saw rurourin kenshin ova (samari x) dl'ed it and liked it and bought the dvd set. I see gundam seed when it comes out i plan on buying it maby ill ahve money then BUT I DONT HAVE IT KNOW!.

just like computer games i get the demo if its good i buy it well tv is a demo but i dont know japanese, i dont have time to learn, i live i ncanada were $50 dollar game is $70 and up (jsut awile back stuff was 3x expensive) so maby 5 eps are good to show whats happening in a show because im nto gonna be able to see ninja scrolls on tv here. Because my dad adn mom are split and we get a low income so what do i do? I BUY MY OWN #@%! STUFF AND I HAVE NO MONEY FOR ANIMEA LIKE YOU SO JUNKIES IS MY SALVATION and i think there quality is good and you people are saying there giulty and haven't even seen emails and stuff people lie or exagerate but its probable that AJ did swear in his emails. In closing you people have to listen and thsi isnt just about ninja scrolls its about every other fansubbed after licensed and sent to america stuff i agree it shoudl be distrubited untel they have a set release day for north american release.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:45 am Reply with quote
If you want to see the anime before you plunk down you money to buy then why don't you borrow it from a friend, or get a subscription to Newtype USA. Or for that matter some anime is available on line legally from some companies as a way for promoting it, normally this is only the first episode, but how much do you really need to see in order to tell if you want to see an anime?
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:52 am Reply with quote
Or rent it. You don't even have to leave your house to rent anime anymore....there's GreenCine and Netflix. They'll send the stuff right to your house.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Grauw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:57 am Reply with quote
Tiresias wrote:
Quote:

This is true, but is also the heart of another topic: what happens if you want to watch the series the way the Japanese presented it? I’m a purist: I prefer to watch anime in the original Japanese with subtitles.

Why is it that almost everytime someone wants to defend fansubbers they tend to start to sway back towards this oxymoronic B/S. If you are a true purist and really wish to see it the way the Japanese intended it to be seen, then you either need to subscribe to TV Tokyo, the International Channel, or any other stations that are first air situations, in Japanese and without subs.

Er... Saying that a dub is the same as the original voices kinda sounds like utter nonsense to me. Me being Dutch, I am -in the contrary to people from some bigger countries- used to watching TV, movies and -ofcourse- anime in their original language with Dutch subtitles. In other words, I am watching everything with perfect lipsyncing, and with the voices which fit the personages and nuances in it directed by the original director. Sometimes I watch a German dub, and it usually really makes me laugh, it's just too rediculous.

To be honest, it's not funny at all, it hurts my ears etc., and I can't listen to it. I rented a chinese (with Jet Li I believe) movie, but it appeared that it only had an English dub track. I couldn't bear to see it through the end, I stopped watching after 10 minutes or so. To me, if I listen to something in a foreign language anyway, I'd rather listen to the original language than an English dub (if it is different). Actually I think this goes for most people in the Netherlands, Dutch dubs are just 'not done', or something Smile, although strangely enough there was a fair share of people complaining that Dynamic Visions doesn't release their Anime DVD's with an *English* dub(/sub) track on it!! Weird!! Hello people, we're not living in the UK, we live in the Netherlands, and we speak Dutch!! Be at least a little proud of your language!! Alas, I guess it's a matter of what you're used to...? Maybe they saw too many English dubbed anime or something Smile. Or maybe Japanese sounds 'uncool', which undoubtely is reason enough for some.

Anyways, sure, I don't understand Japanese, that's why I need subtitles, but at the same time I learn a bit of Japanese from the animation. Why do you think the Dutch are generally doing so well when it concerns speaking English, and the French and Japanese (who dub everything) don't?? Also, I find Japanese much cooler and funnier to listen to than a blandly dubbed English track. And yes, I know reading subtitles diverts one's attention from the animation somewhat (although I personally -having read subtitles all my life- really don't notice it), and there's absolutely something to say for dubs. However, personally, I generally dislike them. I want the original voices, and yes, in the way it was meant to be. I don't see why such an argument would be bullshit. Is trying to stay as close to the original as possible so weird? And no, ofcourse I won't learn Japanese for just that (or actually I do -_-;Wink, talking about nonsensical arguments... One does not learn Japanese in a day, and you can't expect of people to through such an amount of effort. However having subtitles is a reasonable tradeoff to stay with the original voices.

Another thing, surely I don't have to convince anyone about how horrible dubs can sometimes be? I think the Japanese voice actors are generally spoken much more 'developed', in other words, better... It's such a big profession there.

~Grauw

p.s. some replies to this discussion almost make me laugh, they're that sad... I don't see why some people can't have a reasonable discussion on a forum, and want to go through all the effort just to flame around like this (*please* don't shout). I can understand why the apparant regulars are lowly referring to the 'newb' factor, but please be a little careful with that since some of these 'newbs' may be new to *this particular forum*, but *do* have something of value to say. If you just ignore the flames, you can dedicate your time to having an intelligent discussion with someone else, and you don't get all worked up and annoyed, and get a really bad impression of the 'fansub fans' because some of them are like that. Sensible people (which are surely the only ones you want to go in discussion with, right?) will recognize them flames for what they are, so there is no point in replying or trying to invalidate their statements. The original writer will probably never check back anyways. I just hope the moderators do their work well, it's painful to see, sometimes.
Grauw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:58 am Reply with quote
Cassandra wrote:
Or rent it. You don't even have to leave your house to rent anime anymore....there's GreenCine and Netflix. They'll send the stuff right to your house.

Where??? Oh, ah, in the US. That was predictable.

Aw, ok, I made this point already Smile. So forgive me for this small stab under the belt Smile. I don't think 'sampling' is a very good argument for downloading episodes. On the other hand, if you truly intend to buy the DVD's afterwards if you liked it, I don't see any real harm in it either. It's a matter of ethics, I think, and if you want to spend a little money for your hobby. As for people who say they want to 'sample' but in the meantime download and watch entire series, there's no point argueing with them since they know themselves they're just 'guilty as charged'.

Personally, I actually find it easier, and definately more satisfying, to buy anime which is available in my area.

~Grauw
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 30