• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with disappointing endings?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
Inuyasha, wow that was a bad ending........4 years and thats all we get??

That's because -- the animation simply stopped -- while the manga continued on. But yes -- that left some empty taste in the mouth.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
heen wrote:
i ment ending for second raid which is the latest one. Left a lot open, so im def hoping another season will explain more and happen and i hope chidor/sosuke (sp) romance will actually flourish
Ah, okay, I figured that was probably what you meant but I felt it was a good idea to ask. Occasionally new fans come in and don't check the encyclopedia first and I just wanted to make sure.

While there is no official word from Kyoto Animation, which did the animation for Fumoffu and The Second Raid, about another series, the Full Metal Panic! franchise is highly successful. In the past, it has been rumored that Kyoto Animation heads have indicated a desire to do a new FMP! series on a fairly regular basis.

So, while no one has any solid official word, there is a fairly good chance of seeing more made. There's still plenty of material from the novels to adapt and Kyoto is likely seeing quite a bit of profit lately due to the success of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. In other words, nothing's certain but it's probably just a matter of time.
braham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quote
For me season 2 of school rumble had kinda a bad ending. For me it felt like there wasn't any progression in the story at all at the end , although there seemed to be some progres during the shows. And at the moment there isn't an official anouncement (if i'm right) to make a third season, although it toke a year as well to announce season 2 after the ending of the first (if i remember correctly). I guess if there is gonna be another season, i would reconsider my opinion.

Another anime that kinda annoyed me at the end was "ayashi no ceres" not because the end was that bad, i thought i was even good. But at the end credits,spoiler[ Toya was kinda giving away Aya to Yuhi, and that kinda pissed me off.]
but guess i'm just a difficult person ^^ . [EDIT: Spoiler tags added...that's what they're there for, talking about the ends of series ~Zalis]
Choudoufu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:09 am Reply with quote
I'm shocked that not more people complain about this one

Death Note

The ending was so inconsistent. It didn't fit the actions or psychology of the main character at all. spoiler[ Light went crazy for no particular reason. Why did he freak out at that moment? Light would never have slipped up like that. For 36 episodes he was cold and convincing with nerves of steel, and then at the end he's one of those shaking, frothing-at-the-mouth villains that can barely utter a sentence and has no chance to win. Why do that? Is it because they couldn't let a serial killer win? And how N just happened to solve everything and fix it up nice and neatly was just insanely fake. ] I have never watched a series that I saw totally and completely ruined by the ending. While watching most of the series I was on the edge of my seat. After watching it, I was frothing at the mouth in disgust.

Evangelion I didn't mind this episode. I didn't fully understand it, but it fit with the series. I found EofE to be so tedious I couldn't watch. EofE can't have more than 30% original footage.
Hokum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Hellsing: The trouble was the ending was just so generic. It was the combination of not resolving who was behind it all plus the genericness of Incognito. he's such a nobody. for goodness sakes, they say several times: "he is somebody who is nobody". he's just some random evil vampire whowants to destroy everything. If he had been more I wouldnt have minded not finding out who was behind it all. Or if they had found the guys behind it then having them fight their generic vampire would have been okay.

The trouble with hellsing, was that they went so completely off the manga plot, i think they just lost track and decided to end it all as they didn't know where to go...

To me the anime with a dissapointing ending would have to be Witch Hunter Robin... I mean i had hoped for a big show down... did that happen? spoiler[No... Did Robin die? Who knows...[\spoiler]]

Last edited by Hokum on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote
Choudoufu wrote:
Evangelion I didn't mind this episode. I didn't fully understand it, but it fit with the series. I found EofE to be so tedious I couldn't watch. EofE can't have more than 30% original footage.
That would be Death and Rebirth that is mostly a recap of the series; perhaps your torrent file was mislabeled. Rolling Eyes
cool3865

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote
Hokum wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Hellsing: The trouble was the ending was just so generic. It was the combination of not resolving who was behind it all plus the genericness of Incognito. he's such a nobody. for goodness sakes, they say several times: "he is somebody who is nobody". he's just some random evil vampire whowants to destroy everything. If he had been more I wouldnt have minded not finding out who was behind it all. Or if they had found the guys behind it then having them fight their generic vampire would have been okay.

The trouble with hellsing, was that they went so completely off the manga plot, i think they just lost track and decided to end it all as they didn't know where to go...

To me the anime with a dissapointing ending would have to be Witch Hunter Robin... I mean i had hoped for a big show down... did that happen? No... Did Robin die? Who knows...

yea Witch Hunter Robin did have a bad ending, i just kinda ended and thats it.....
NGE1113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
Just a couple from me:

E's Otherwise:
There are times when an open ending works, and others in which an open ending simply screams, "cop out!" E's is a case study for the latter. spoiler[Yeah, it was the fact that quite a few loose threads were never resolved, and the appearance that the show was headed towards some sort of climax. Frankly put, the show just stopped in its tracks, and faded to black, and] that sort of ending never works for me.

Mahoromatic:
Specifically, it was the thirteenth episode of the second season that just did it for me. The way it ended, with a depressed Suguru spoiler[pining for Mahoro and his friends years into the future] didn't click for me. The series had its share of serious moments, but they still felt connected to the series. This one episode... Just a bit too melodramatic for me. spoiler[(And the whole set some-odd years in the future thing didn't work either, as well as Mahoro's sudden appearance to give the show a happy ending.)] Now if the show cut off one episode prior, it would've been a bit clichéd spoiler[with Mahoro biting the dust], but I would take that over this ending.
Choudoufu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Choudoufu wrote:
That would be Death and Rebirth that is mostly a recap of the series; perhaps your torrent file was mislabeled. Rolling Eyes

I'm sure you're right. It's been so long since I've seen it. p2p wasn't even a word when I saw it, let alone "torrent".

to get back on topic, I never got why people considered the TV ending of Evangelion to be "bad". Can the haters give some explanation?
pekopon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
Mahoujin Guru Guru was dissapointing, and so was Kero Kero Chime.

Repost the rest of this with spoiler tags, please ~Zalis
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
heen wrote:
i ment ending for second raid which is the latest one. Left a lot open, so im def hoping another season will explain more and happen and i hope chidor/sosuke (sp) romance will actually flourish
Ah, okay, I figured that was probably what you meant but I felt it was a good idea to ask. Occasionally new fans come in and don't check the encyclopedia first and I just wanted to make sure.

While there is no official word from Kyoto Animation, which did the animation for Fumoffu and The Second Raid, about another series, the Full Metal Panic! franchise is highly successful. In the past, it has been rumored that Kyoto Animation heads have indicated a desire to do a new FMP! series on a fairly regular basis.

So, while no one has any solid official word, there is a fairly good chance of seeing more made. There's still plenty of material from the novels to adapt and Kyoto is likely seeing quite a bit of profit lately due to the success of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. In other words, nothing's certain but it's probably just a matter of time.

They are probably waiting for the novels to finish. From what I hear, there isn't a real good stopping point. They probably have enough Haruhi and Key material to keep them busy for at least another year beyond what they currently have scheduled, so they can afford to wait for the novels to finish.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Choudoufu wrote:

to get back on topic, I never got why people considered the TV ending of Evangelion to be "bad". Can the haters give some explanation?

I take it you've never been in a discussion on the subject? I have to warn you, it can get just as tedious as sub vs. dub. I'll just chime in since you asked for reasons Wink here goes...

completely and utterly inconclusive. It threw everything that was going on in the series out the window and gave us a bunch of psycho-babble followed by spoiler["congradulations!" from everybody in the series, including Kaji (wait a second, didn't he die back in episode 21?)] Also, most of what was being talked about in the psycho-babble really wasn't very complicated, it was just crammed with big words to make it seem more complex than it really is. They even tell us at the beginning of the episode "There's not enough time to give the whole story, blah blah, so we're just going to do this..." although they make it sound fancier than that Rolling Eyes
I've heard people say "But NGE focused mainly on Shinji and his struggles, so it is a legit ending," and in a sense, they are right. The final episode is a legitimit ending to Neon Genisis Shinji but not Neon Genesis Evangelion. There were so many things left unresolved that I was personally surprised to see that there are people out there who do like it.
End of Eva caused me to further dislike the original ending even more, mainly because EoE concluded absolutely everything the original ending threw out the window, as well as concluding the Shinji self-conflict. Better yet, it did it without over complicating things in long speeches that really weren't that complicated. It was how it should have ended to begin with if you ask me.
Dead and Rebirth was pointless, I'm guessing this is the one you found tedious, and so did I.

Well, there's my own reasons.

P.S. -yes I have watched the original ending multiple times, but I just can not see it as a satisfying or good ending to the series. Although I do like watching episode 25 before going into the movie, it gives a good insight on the mental and emotional states of the characters before the endgame.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:00 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
They are probably waiting for the novels to finish. From what I hear, there isn't a real good stopping point. They probably have enough Haruhi and Key material to keep them busy for at least another year beyond what they currently have scheduled, so they can afford to wait for the novels to finish.
I know they're working on season two of Haruhi (at least they'd better be) and they've done a remake of Kanon, but what other Key project were they thinking of?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were waiting for the novels to finish up. It's a lot easier to adapt a finished product. Still, they might do something along the lines of Fumoffu again. A non main plot series.

On the subject of disappointing endings, I'd like to bring up the end of I My Me! Strawberry Eggs. It's not so much a bad ending as a completely open one. spoiler[First, Hibiki's secret is revealed so everyone knows he's not really a female teacher like he claimed. He chooses to leave and, while they do a whole thing where Kuzuha chases after his train and all that, they don't tell you anything about how all that mess is actually going to work out. Second, they pretty much leave the issue of whether or not the head woman at the school will ever get over her problem with men a big grey area. (I think they pretty much said that Hibiki's landlady was actually a man from the pricipal's past but it's still very unsettled.)]

It's not like it's a bad ending, because there is a very postive feel to it, but the loose plot threads are only half-heartedly crossed over each other instead of being tied up.

*Edited because I caught a few spelling errors late in the game.
panties

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:23 am Reply with quote
Another anime that I thought had a really disappointing ending was Binchou-tan. In the last episode, Binchou-tan spoiler[gets really sick and the audience is lead to believe that she dies when she sees her dead grandmother in a dream]. And then, less than a minute later, spoiler[they bring her back to life]. Those few seconds before she's spoiler[revived] are a really sad moment, and this is kind of embarrassing, but that scene actually made me cry a little bit. Just picture it: here she is, this lonely little girl living in near-seclusion in the mountains, and the whole series long you're to cheer her on in her quest to make friends and find happiness. And then... SURPRISE! spoiler[SHE DIES!]

spoiler[LOL NOT REALLY!]

If they had just spoiler[left her dead and didn't revive her], I would have like this anime a whole lot more. It's "pity moe" levels would have rivaled even Air's. But with that crap ending, it’s just another forgettable anime with a one-in-a-million chance of ever getting licensed.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I know they're working on season two of Haruhi (at least they'd better be) and they've done a remake of Kanon, but what other Key project were they thinking of?

Well, there is Clannad which is supposed to air this fall and there is one or two other Key games (Little Busters and possibly One, though that technically isn't by Key, I believe) that they could animate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9