• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Milky Holmes Cast to Voice My Little Pony in Japan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
No, bronies are worse than that. OP and Naruto didn't start multiple conventions dedicated to one thing across the world. That takes clear dedication, willpower, and tenacity above and beyond normal fandom.

Well thats because there were already Anime conventions. Not that many general animation cons out there. All they really would have had otherwise would have been comicon & toy fair. Sides not like this is anything new with Hasbro Properties, Transformers has a number of cons, and G.I. Joe I know has at least 1 *Poor G.I. Joe, so little love for it*

Although I don't see how thats a bad thing, they're a passionate fan base that loves to express their love for silly little animated equine, no better or worse overall then fans of anime, cartoons, comics, manga, video games, sci-fi, fantasy, etc.

Yes we are indeed an overly vocal bunch, Which again I do agree that part of the fanbase needs to die down a bit, ponies don't need to take over the internet, they are just fine being regulated to their own little online homes just like anime, comics and everything else within the realm of Internet &/or "nerd" culture. But yeah in the end of the day, its *Mostly* just harmless fun.

And hey, the shows like a soda or a candy bar, one bite and your like a little kid all hyper & jittery and full of warm sugary feelings.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I never said there was no chance for a fan-base at all... and more laughable high and mighty posturing.

Oh give it a rest. We all know what your intention was so give up the act. If you really don't think you're being dismissive and that you aren't prejudiced then you must not really read what you type or are simply oblivious to it. We all know of your Japanophilia obsession and prejudice in that regard, and nothing presented demonstrates you know "more about the show in Japan" or even the Japanese market other than the fact you think you do and say you do, but in the end your credibility is no greater than anyone else invested in said market or a resident of Japan. In the end it's just, "well my friends say" or "I was on x site and saw" or "I haven't seen it so it must be like this".

All you've demonstrated is that you're obsessed with Japan, have an irrational disdain towards that which is not part of Japan (probably the center of the universe in your world), are outright dismissive of something simply because in your apparent all knowing all seeing world you haven't seen the fanbase so it must not exist, and most importantly that you see yourself as some great expert based on hilariously bad credentials that would make a good chunk of people on this site "experts" or even greater "experts" than you.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
No, bronies are worse than that. OP and Naruto didn't start multiple conventions dedicated to one thing across the world. That takes clear dedication, willpower, and tenacity above and beyond normal fandom.

Yeah, this isn't a "let's hate on another fanbase" forum or thread, so let's leave the generalizations and judgements of entire fanbases based on what is very well a vocal minority out of this. It's sad when you get a fanbase that loves to talk about how those outside the fanbase judge and treat them, but then turn around and are so willing to do the same to others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote
Really interesting to see how this goes. Hope they play their cards well so that they can see all the episodes at least.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow! "My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic" is going to Japan. This'll be interesting to see. I don't know what they think about the show,just like I have no idea what they thought of "Avatar:The Last Airbender" or "Samurai Jack,"two shows that was done in the style of anime. I'd like to think the Japanese would like some anime-style shows a lot more than more normal American cartoons. But hey,what do I know? It's sometimes hard to know what American shows the Japanese will like.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Yep, and maybe after watching it, the kids who view it will grow up and make GOOD ANIME. Something that is getting harder & harder to find these days.

LOLNO. Please go back to Ponychan. Bronies like you are why the show has such a bad rep >_> Japan will care about this as much as other shows they dub there

spoiler[None at all]

Spongebob and it's 1.9 million Japanese households would like a word with you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16789412/ns/business-world_business/t/spongebob-winning-fans-cute-loving-japan/

Granted it's a bit dated, but it doesn't change the fact that Spongebob has enjoyed considerable success in Japan.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
This is great. Mamoru Yokota will finally get his wish to create his "Moe Pony" doujinshi.

(Those of you who attended PMX 2012 may understand the reference.)
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I really don't care for MLP. It's cute. All I care about is Doctor Whooves/Time Turner. If this gets me a Doctor Whooves figure, then HELL YEAH.

I guess this means I'd be open to buying doujinshi featuring him too.

Other than that the world will carry on as it always has.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I love this news because I'm already a huge Milky Holmes fan.

The demonization of brony fandom is similar to how gaming and anime fandoms get attacked for no real good reason. Of course there are some super fans who over analyze to the point of hating everything and toxic fans, but the vast majority simply enjoy the subject matter. Excessive haters come across as jealous that other people can actually enjoy something.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Is the reason this is reported is because it's the same cast as Milky Holmes? Japanese voice casts for American cartoons are rarely, if ever, reported here.

No doubt there is a brony or two on the site's staff who felt the need to push this article. Anyone who knows anything about anime would already know a lot of Japanese voice actors cross over between anime and western cartoon dubs all the time and is not a big deal or unique. Fans of My Little Pony however are probably the only ones who care enough to point this out or make a huge deal about it. They do seem to have this innate desire to draw as much attention as they can to themselves for either their own amusement or out of insecurity. That is why they call themselves bronies: it's an immediate attempt to make oneself unique in a group of strangers, a typical thing a child would do. Simply calling themselves a fan of the show like any other fanbase isn't enough for them.

- Stuart Smith
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Crystal wrote:
Is the reason this is reported is because it's the same cast as Milky Holmes? Japanese voice casts for American cartoons are rarely, if ever, reported here.

No doubt there is a brony or two on the site's staff who felt the need to push this article. Anyone who knows anything about anime would already know a lot of Japanese voice actors cross over between anime and western cartoon dubs all the time and is not a big deal or unique. Fans of My Little Pony however are probably the only ones who care enough to point this out or make a huge deal about it. They do seem to have this innate desire to draw as much attention as they can to themselves for either their own amusement or out of insecurity. That is why they call themselves bronies: it's an immediate attempt to make oneself unique in a group of strangers, a typical thing a child would do. Simply calling themselves a fan of the show like any other fanbase isn't enough for them.

- Stuart Smith

Uhhh.... I think you're a bit biased there in your psychological evaluation there. In fact I think you're downright overstepping.

I'm not a "brony" but I'm glad for this news, and there's a reason ANN put it under interest and not actual news. They post stuff very loosely related to anime all the time under interest. A brony on the staff felt the need to push the article? You have no evidence for this accusation, and for all you know you may be insulting the person who thought some of us may find this tidbit interesting.

And there is no reason to just start accusing random people and fans of this show as having ulterior motives or just acting like they do for attention. You do realize you are on an ANIME forum right, for an anime website? What right have you to criticize anyone who happens to like some niche show? What right have you to criticize any fandom? We're all nerds because we have the guts to admit we're passionate about things particular people create. And fandoms naming themselves did NOT start with MLP. Whovians, Trekkies, Twihards, Browncoats, Sherlockians, Potterheads, etc, and that's just a few I can think of. Fans of Musicians/bands do it too, and heck that's probably where the idea came from to name their groups. A person associating themselves with a fandom is nothing more than connecting themselves with other people who happen to share the same passion they do.

Get off your cynical high horse and just let nerds be nerds. They get judged enough as is by "normal" people.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It also depends on the fan as well of how far they willing to take their said fandom for a franchise or series. Take me for example I'm a huge higurashi/umineko fan and if there was thread dedicated to the anime or visual novels I would probably do the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Yep, and maybe after watching it, the kids who view it will grow up and make GOOD ANIME. Something that is getting harder & harder to find these days.

LOLNO. Please go back to Ponychan. Bronies like you are why the show has such a bad rep >_> Japan will care about this as much as other shows they dub there

spoiler[None at all]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16789412/ns/business-world_business/t/spongebob-winning-fans-cute-loving-japan/

Granted it's a bit dated, but it doesn't change the fact that Spongebob has enjoyed considerable success in Japan.

That and Mcdonald in Japan has made Spongebob toys for happy meal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Uhhh.... I think you're a bit biased there in your psychological evaluation there. In fact I think you're downright overstepping.

I'm not a "brony" but I'm glad for this news, and there's a reason ANN put it under interest and not actual news. They post stuff very loosely related to anime all the time under interest. A brony on the staff felt the need to push the article? You have no evidence for this accusation, and for all you know you may be insulting the person who thought some of us may find this tidbit interesting.

And there is no reason to just start accusing random people and fans of this show as having ulterior motives or just acting like they do for attention. You do realize you are on an ANIME forum right, for an anime website? What right have you to criticize anyone who happens to like some niche show? What right have you to criticize any fandom? We're all nerds because we have the guts to admit we're passionate about things particular people create. And fandoms naming themselves did NOT start with MLP. Whovians, Trekkies, Twihards, Browncoats, Sherlockians, Potterheads, etc, and that's just a few I can think of. Fans of Musicians/bands do it too, and heck that's probably where the idea came from to name their groups. A person associating themselves with a fandom is nothing more than connecting themselves with other people who happen to share the same passion they do.

Get off your cynical high horse and just let nerds be nerds. They get judged enough as is by "normal" people.

Thank you sir for a most excellent post. You know you remind me a lot of this guy I know on Funi Forums named "Neon Walrus" Your both very good people who are well versed with their forum posts

Quote:
That and Mcdonald in Japan has made Spongebob toys for happy meal.

@MDO7 : Somebody needs to calm those kids down! Anime hyper

Back on topic, I agree with LGW, in the end were all nerds, we make like different things, but at the very least we should be able to respect others passion & love for the series they enjoy. * I know i'll keep trying my best to do so*

So yes, VIVA PONIES, VIVA ANIME, AND VIVA NERDOM!!! Cool
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:

Confused I have never seen Spongebob on the weekly Japanese ratings ANN.com posts. I think that article is misinformed or lying.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
DomonX2 wrote:

Confused I have never seen Spongebob on the weekly Japanese ratings ANN.com posts. I think that article is misinformed or lying.

Here's a tip, people around here put far, far too much weight on those rankings.

Anyway, the relevant news here is that MLP has the same cast as Milky Holmes, and is being pretty explicitly promoted as such.

Which is hilarious.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12