• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Version of Hitler's Mein Kampf Sells 45,000

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Actually, you can't publish Mein Kampf in Germany because Bavaria does not sell the copyright. But, you can make a book about MK, or even buying old editions in other languages, even in German from Austria or Switzerland.

So, actually, we're talking about copyrights, instead of moral rights. :p
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Seriously though, why would anyone want to read a piece of literature published by a dead genocidal megalomaniac, let alone a manga version? Shocked

Well, just because he was a genocidal megalomaniac, doesn't make him a bad writer!

Such insensitivity.

No, he was a terrible writer.
But he was a really good artist.

http://www.bytwerk.com/gpa/images/hitlerpaintings/hitlerart4.jpg

http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/explorers_history/Adolf_Hitler_watercolor_painting_artist.jpg
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
Zangofett wrote:
Jarmel wrote:

Faith in humanity... -10pts.

How many points does your faith have left...? I'd say mine is close to about... -30 Razz . A manga about that book is ridiculous, whats next, a manga of Vlad The Impaler's life? Can't wait for that Rolling Eyes .

Why is this surprising? There is a manga Bible. It was only a matter of time. Up next should be Anne Frank.

Myself personally I don't like banning books. I don't care what Hitler wrote about- it's something that shouldn't be forgotten.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Seriously though, why would anyone want to read a piece of literature published by a dead genocidal megalomaniac, let alone a manga version? Shocked

Well, just because he was a genocidal megalomaniac, doesn't make him a bad writer!

Such insensitivity.

No, he was a terrible writer.
But he was a really good artist.

http://www.bytwerk.com/gpa/images/hitlerpaintings/hitlerart4.jpg

http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/explorers_history/Adolf_Hitler_watercolor_painting_artist.jpg

I thought one of the reasons he was butthurt is because he couldn't make it as an artist.

Last edited by penguintruth on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
Zangofett wrote:
Jarmel wrote:

How many points does your faith have left...? I'd say mine is close to about... -30 Razz . A manga about that book is ridiculous, whats next, a manga of Vlad The Impaler's life? Can't wait for that Rolling Eyes .

Hellsing anyone? Wink
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I thought one of the reasons he was butthurt is because he couldn't make it as an artist.

Yeah..he wasn't accepted to the Vienna (?) art school. Dang, their standards must be ridiculously high. Some people these days cant even paint like that after graduation art school!

It makes me wonder what would have happened if they had just accepted him. He would have just become some painter, albeit a crazy one, but not anyone influential. The world would have been a different place.

Do you know who is the real evil here? Art schools. Laughing

Brittanicmoore wrote:

Why is this surprising? There is a manga Bible. It was only a matter of time. Up next should be Anne Frank.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MJXAVQQ4L._SS500_.jpg
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Up next should be Anne Frank.

I wouldn't be surprised if it already exists. There are tons of educational manga in Japan and the life of Anne Frank could very well be the subject of one of them.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
BassKuroi quotes:
Quote:
Anyone can get a ".txt" copy of this piece of shit on internet.

I can't believe that some motherf***r japanese artist and editor can make a manga version of this horrible panphlet.

There's no point of making a version of that kind of text, filled with lies and hate.

Couldn't agree with you more but not exactly my choice of words.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Zangofett wrote:
Jarmel wrote:

Are you putting 21st century morality on 15 century people? Is Vlad the Impaler that much worse than any number of rulers that lived throughout history? I understood his own people saw him as a hero for keeping the muslims out.

If someone wanted to write a manga about the Inquisition, you'd say it's wrong? The French Revolution?
People have free will. They have brains with which to process ideas presented before them and hopefully the intelligence to discern the dross from the gold.
A Captain America which always stuck with me was one where Cap defended a group of white supremists to parade where he told the horrified opposition the neo nazis had the right to present their side peacefully & the opposition also possessed the right to peacefully protest the nazis' words & that rebutting the slurs in a logical form (like a flyer) was the best way to counter the skewered logic of the hate group.
Gorgeousaur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Zangofett wrote:
Jarmel wrote:

Are you putting 21st century morality on 15 century people? Is Vlad the Impaler that much worse than any number of rulers that lived throughout history? I understood his own people saw him as a hero for keeping the muslims out.

If someone wanted to write a manga about the Inquisition, you'd say it's wrong? The French Revolution?
People have free will. They have brains with which to process ideas presented before them and hopefully the intelligence to discern the dross from the gold.
A Captain America which always stuck with me was one where Cap defended a group of white supremists to parade where he told the horrified opposition the neo nazis had the right to present their side peacefully & the opposition also possessed the right to peacefully protest the nazis' words & that rebutting the slurs in a logical form (like a flyer) was the best way to counter the skewered logic of the hate group.

Exactly. Hate is only met with hate. This video here is a good example of how to deal with hate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBwIRq_hmjg
Don't meet hate with vulgarities while otherwise ignoring them. That doesn't help anyone at all.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
Mohawk:
Quote:
I doubt it. It's a "foreign" book.

I'm referring to the text version, I think.

Quote:
Also if one looks under a few tatame mats in Japan, one might find a few neo-imperialists still lurking there as well, I'm sure. Wink

But if those guys are just gonna pull a Mishima, then that's probably not as bad. Laughing

panzer: Doubtful. The Germans didn't let the Holocaust stop them from realizing they were wrong anymore than we let Mai Lai and Abu Ghraib stop us from realizing we were wrong. When you've got that kind of blind trust in a system, the only way to change course is to hit a wall. [In their case, I guess it'd be bombing the shit out of them, in our case, it'd be the fall of Saigon and Katrina.]

CCSYueh: Vlad the Impaler at least fought against a imperialistic country. As for the Captain America thing, you sure you didn't confuse it with the ACLU? There's been a recent black version of Captain America you might wanna check out.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU says:
Quote:
But if those guys are just gonna pull a Mishima, then that's probably not as bad.

What do you mean Mishima? I doubt you mean the guy that Fairy Tail.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
GATSU says:
Quote:
But if those guys are just gonna pull a Mishima, then that's probably not as bad.

What do you mean Mishima? I doubt you mean the guy that Fairy Tail.
No, he means Yukio Mishima.
lordcalgar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, you can't publish Mein Kampf in Germany because Bavaria does not sell the copyright. But, you can make a book about MK, or even buying old editions in other languages, even in German from Austria or Switzerland.

So, actually, we're talking about copyrights, instead of moral rights. :p

This is correct. You can even visit bookreadings of Mein Kampf, which are more on the comedical site of things, at least which I know of.

You can even buy the book in Uk or somewhere else and bring it back with you to Germany, nothing wrong with it, you just cannot publish it in Germany.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5