• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Seriously, y'all are arguing more about MMO mechanics than discussing the anime itself.

Oh, we'd still be picking apart the mechanics even if they weren't at least partly based on existing MMOs. Besides, partly basing them on existing MMOs just invites comparisons. Hence I see no problem in the direction that the thread discussion has been going recently.

Quote:
spoiler[The game relies heavily on the players own speed (consider it how much their mind can influence their "physical" abilities in the game) coupled with their stats. Kirito has exceptionally high agility and a decent strength stats. He focused on them to the point of excluding others. This allows him to hit and hit fast, as well as crit. He's a damage dealer and secondary tank, if you want to use MMO terms.]

Pretty much assumed all of that.

Quote:
spoiler[So, understanding that he has very high stats and the fact that he's one of the fastest players in the game, if not the fastest, you can understand how the Unique Skill he has (called Duel Blades) is exceptionally powerful. Especially since this game is focused solely on melee combat. Only one other player has a Unique Skill, and that's the leader of Asuna's guild. And using that Unique Skill he was able to tank a boss solo for ages while the forward team regrouped after getting their arses handed to them.]

Hunh. Well, that certainly explains why spoiler[Heathcliff would think that he's got a fighting chance in the upcoming duel and why he specifically wanted Kirito to use his Dual Blades technique in it]. Now I'm particularly interested in next episode, too.

jl07045 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
I just rewatched the fight and I had the following observation: if a hero is in the middle of a big fight that he's currently not winning and asks himself "Do I have to use that?", you know that sh*t's gonna go down.

A storytelling technique usually used in shonen or hentai.

Well, SAO in general (and Asuna in particular) is very prominent in hentai doujinshi coming out over the past couple of months. . . Rolling Eyes

Spotlesseden wrote:
He is not using the same equipment that he got from eps.
Go watch ep2, ep 4, ep9, he upgraded/changed his armor. Those are three different armors.

I see that you are correct. I don't have a good eye for things like that, which is why I didn't notice.[/quote]
I didn't notice that, either. Now I'm going to have to go back and look more closely at the earlier eps.

And Tuor_of_Gondolin: Liked your arguments concerning Heathcliff's motivations. But you've lost me on the Gon/Hisoka reference. (Hunter x Hunter, maybe?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
There was one positive aspect of this show that I wanted to comment on earlier but I forgot. I LOVE the fact that the black character in this show is not some outlandish buffoon or heavily stereotyped in some way. He is portrayed as a very normal person with normal features and, although not a main character, he is a useful and enjoyable side character. This has been a major plus for me in watching this show, despite some of the negatives I have given the show to this point. Overall, this show is on the upswing for me right now.
casualfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
It's funny that nobody criticizes the fact that Kirito spoiler[just solo a boss that, in his own word, " requires a large number of players to beat". ] Basically with his new technique, he has become more powerful than an entire raid party. So I wonder who's going to spoiler[win the duel in the next episode?]
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:51 am Reply with quote
Good guy Kirino wouldn't use such a god-like skill against another player!
Clarste

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Heathcliff asked him to specifically. "Fight me with both swords."
rosebowl89

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
At this point in the LN (beware it might spoil some parts and back story the next episode) it is known that spoiler[ There is at least one player other than Kirito that has a unique skill, Heathcliff, and there could be others. Heathcliff is rumored to be the strongest player in the game, and his unique skill Holy Sword breaks the balance of the game similar to Kirito's dual blades. He held off the boss on the 50th floor for 10 minutes by himself while the other raiders regrouped, and nobody has ever seen his health drop below half. ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Here's the preview for the next episode Crimson Killing Intent.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. Looks like Asuna is none-too-pleased about this arrangement. But it also looks like it will be a pretty spectacular duel, and that Heathcliff isn't going to make it easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Heathcliff's shield seems to be blocking Kirito's blades quite easily, but then Kirito seemingly gets an opening. Hmm. And how the heck do Kirito and Asuna end up in jail?

I honestly don't know who will win the duel (assuming there is a winner and it isn't cancelled or called as a draw). But in order to progress the plot, I think Heathcliff has a higher chance of winning than Kirito does.
Clarste

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
And how the heck do Kirito and Asuna end up in jail?

I don't think they're in jail. Based on the position of the bars and the walls it looks to me like they're standing outside a jail cell. Probably just some random scenery.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
SAO is very basic anime. It's just a fun anime to watch.
Like most anime, logic and physic don't apply. I don't know why people have to nitpick about everything.

heck, you can get the entire plot in a 3 mins video.

heavy image spoiler and plot spoiler if you can read Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enRoI52wqdA&feature=share&list=PL84FA8E6DDCA0C034
4nBlue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
My opinion on the fact that his health didn't regen after the fight - that was an accidental plot hole. They probably forgot about it or just decided to ignore it for this particular fight to increase the drama. They wanted to have that moment afterwards where Kirito passes out (heroes always pass out after expending their super god-mode or "NOOOO" ability). Also, he couldn't joke about Asuna hugging him to death if he didn't have like 1 HP left. This was the anime creators just being forgetful or lazy IMO.
Because the stories were written in a really disjointed manner, there's a lot of inconsistencies between stories, especially between side stories and the main one. Don't read too much into the healing thing.

This! The author has a habit of forgetting game mechanics he had previously introduced and often makes them up for just one scene/chapter revolving around that mechanic. Like the PK methods mentioned in the murder mystery chapter not being mentioned in any other chapters. Sachi finding out about Kirito's level by seeing his menu window, despite menu window being invisible to other players without it being set as visible to them.

I don't remember the regeneration being mentioned outside of Silica's chapter. One possible theory could of course be it literally being "Battle Healing" as the skill name says, and it stops working when the battle has finished.
rosebowl89

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Saffire wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
My opinion on the fact that his health didn't regen after the fight - that was an accidental plot hole. They probably forgot about it or just decided to ignore it for this particular fight to increase the drama. They wanted to have that moment afterwards where Kirito passes out (heroes always pass out after expending their super god-mode or "NOOOO" ability). Also, he couldn't joke about Asuna hugging him to death if he didn't have like 1 HP left. This was the anime creators just being forgetful or lazy IMO.
Because the stories were written in a really disjointed manner, there's a lot of inconsistencies between stories, especially between side stories and the main one. Don't read too much into the healing thing.

This! The author has a habit of forgetting game mechanics he had previously introduced and often makes them up for just one scene/chapter revolving around that mechanic. Like the PK methods mentioned in the murder mystery chapter not being mentioned in any other chapters. Sachi finding out about Kirito's level by seeing his menu window, despite menu window being invisible to other players without it being set as visible to them.

I don't remember the regeneration being mentioned outside of Silica's chapter. One possible theory could of course be it literally being "Battle Healing" as the skill name says, and it stops working when the battle has finished.

Keep in mind that all those side stories were written well after the main story.
mastaCROW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Kirito probably didn't have any health regen during the boss fight because he change his skill set. SAO, never really talks about how many skills you can actually have active as im a player, and im assuming a skill Unique skill like Dual blades would force the player to give up other skills.

Just got to say, Episode 9 was absolutely amazing. One of the best episodes in the last few years to come out. I was feeling very drained by this anime, episodes 1-4,5 were really good. Then all the side story jazz up to 8, was really draining my hype. NOPE HYPE MAINTAINED.

Accel world was kind of slow to begin with aswell, yet as the series progresses it becomes more and more awesome. Kinda like the Gurren lagann "get bigger, and bigger mechanic".

SAO, is going to be one the best animes of this year. jsut ya'll wait.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 274