• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Naruto Shippuden

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh, man. I'm crying like a little bitch at work, trying to hide it....

Without reading the manga, I knew Minato was gonna wish Naruto a Happy Birthday, but I still couldn't hold back the water works. Obito's farewell to Kakashi, Hashirama and Madara..... I couldn't take it anymore. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
I probably have no reason to be so optimistic, but I think there's a distinct possibility the anime will adapt the Naruto/Sasuke fight before the next round of filler. I mean, the show should just end after that, but it's already been confirmed that they're adapting at least two of the light novels - which I would be more excited about had they not totally dropped the ball on Itachi's Story. I've long maintained that wrapping up the manga's storyline and creating episodes that take place between the conclusion of the war and the source material's epilogue would be a better way of continuing the series than inserting lengthy chunks of filler into an already drawn-out story, and it looks like the show's producers have finally adopted that line of thinking. I'm guessing they'll hold off on adapting the manga's epilogue, as that will serve as the real final episode.

ALSO: Hearty congrats to Amy! I often have more fun reading her reviews than watching the show. With this and Gintama under her belt, she's definitely ANN's go-to girl for long-running shounen series. I also love this strangely prescient line from her first review...

Quote:
Naruto really is ending, even if it's taking its sweet time to get there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the first review, are we still on Day 2?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Nope - as of 50-ish episodes ago, we're in the wee hours of day three.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Nope - as of 50-ish episodes ago, we're in the wee hours of day three.

It's crazy, right??? Our stupid wars take years to end, whereas theirs lasted only three days. Confused We can learn from them.

Last edited by Animechic420 on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, wars usually take more than just subduing one or two super powered bad guys who fight on the front line of the war. We could end wars really quickly if we wanted to but not in desirable ways (Nuclear apocalypse or winter and whatnot).
InuKag1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I always love seeing Minato so it was sad seeing him go, AGAIN
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
Reading these reviews makes me realize how much I miss Nardo Shippuden Z.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
About five months ago, I posted this pic on Twitter:

Episode 455 had reached chapter 678 of the manga. Narutopedia says this episode, #474, reached chapter 691. So that's... 13 chapters in 19 episodes.

Bluh. Hang in there, McNulty; at this rate you'll be done by year's end!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Reading these reviews makes me realize how much I miss Nardo Shippuden Z.

Thanks for this, I'd never seen it before. Are there only 3 episodes?

I have to say found it a lot more entertaining than the way Shippuden's ending.
neshru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:08 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
It's crazy, right??? Our stupid wars take years to end, when theirs was only three days. Confused We can learn from them.

The thing is, this last Naruto arc wasn't really a war. Actual wars don't play out like this. The whole thing was basically just a giant excuse to have some cool match-ups. Basically, a glorified tournament.

In other news, we now know who is handling the upcoming episodes:
Hiroyuki Yamashita is director and animation director for episodes 476 and 477.
He directed the Boruto movie and some of the best action episodes on the series (322 and 375).Also, most of the best animation on Shippuden throughout the years comes from him.
Toshiyuki Tsuru is director and animation director for episode 478.
He was director for the third Naruto movie and many of the best episodes on the series (episode 48 from part 1, episodes 82, 85, 123, 166 from Shippuden). He's also directed a lot of Naruto OPs and EDs, both on the original series and on Shippuden).

So basically the fight will not disappoint Smile
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
neshru wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
It's crazy, right??? Our stupid wars take years to end, whereas theirs lasted only three days. Confused We can learn from them.

The thing is, this last Naruto arc wasn't really a war. Actual wars don't play out like this. The whole thing was basically just a giant excuse to have some cool match-ups. Basically, a glorified tournament.

It wasn't really a war???? Could've fooled me. Wink
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
I've honestly never understood Naruto and Sakura's near-fanatical devotion to Sasuke. He barely cares about either one of them, had no qualms about letting Sakura die in battle, and is perfectly willing to dispatch Naruto (his most vocal devotee) so he can rule as a *well-intentioned* dictator. I think most of his beefs with the village are legitimate, but the way he treats the people who care about him has effectively diminished any sympathy I might have had for the character. (Which reminds me - poor Karin.)
Dextres

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Amy for the review, I was anticipating you writing this one up!

spoiler[ When Sasuke "punches" Sakura. The manga portray that differently as him piercing Sakura heart(genjustu) knocking her out and breaking any connections/chains ties he has of her, to do what he needs to do(so their would be no interference).]

Love this episode though.

@JaggedAuthor

I agree; but in reflection of the series and author interviews, it's an idealistic series(mix with dark themes) of hope, love(not the romantic kind), redemption, comrades, etc. etc. etc shonen themes.

None of this stuff you see here would work out so well in reality(things never do or atleast...not the way you or I want them to, to be more precise).
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I've honestly never understood Naruto and Sakura's near-fanatical devotion to Sasuke. He barely cares about either one of them, had no qualms about letting Sakura die in battle, and is perfectly willing to dispatch Naruto (his most vocal devotee) so he can rule as a *well-intentioned* dictator. I think most of his beefs with the village are legitimate, but the way he treats the people who care about him has effectively diminished any sympathy I might have had for the character. (Which reminds me - poor Karin.)

Sasuke's aim isn't to rule it's to do a Lelouch Lamperouge but as a persistent threat rather than conquering and dying to unite everyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 44