• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Zac, I think it's more of the general "only loser otaku would like this" attitude you have in some of your reviews that people have the main issue with. Upotte's said it should only be watched by "People who want to see how crazy it is" or "Losers who want to sex their guns", but no third "People who are looking for something unique and one of the stand-out titles of the season" or fourth "want to see an interesting school show that blends Soul Eater with Gunslinger Girl" Both points are only negative, and quite dismissive of anyone who would watch it (Soul Eater did the whole kids as weapons things earlier, so it shouldn't blow your mind that much based on the premise, not enough to use a silly reaction image when confronted with the idea that kids are being humanized weapons)

What your hoping for isn't a review though, it's advertising. You're pretty much asking Zac to be as toothless as possible, and NOT react when he sees something that he thinks is genuinly disturbing, or something in general about the show is poor. What if he doesn't find it interesting?

...and as for Soul Eater...I don't recall any scene where the Thompson twin's triggers were suggested to be their clitori
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Zac, I think it's more of the general "only loser otaku would like this" attitude you have in some of your reviews that people have the main issue with. Upotte's said it should only be watched by "People who want to see how crazy it is" or "Losers who want to sex their guns",

The first one is not a negative at all. I do that myself - I watch stuff just to see how crazy it is all the time. Plenty of people do that. I don't even understand how you can interpret that as a negative.

The second, gun fetishism is absolutely a real thing. And there are people who get sexual with it. Do I think it's weird? Yes. Do I think this show would appeal to those guys? Absolutely. Seems like it's made with them in mind first.

Quote:

but no third "People who are looking for something unique and one of the stand-out titles of the season"

You want me to phrase it this way because this is how you feel. The only way Upotte!! is 'stand-out' to me is how strange and unsettling it is, and how totally bizarre the execution of the premise is.

Quote:

or fourth "want to see an interesting school show that blends Soul Eater with Gunslinger Girl"

Uh, I suppose that's a good description of what the premise is attempting to do but given that show shares literally no qualities with either of those besides that very basic premise comparison, I don't think that's valid.

Quote:
Both points are only negative, and quite dismissive of anyone who would watch it (Soul Eater did the whole kids as weapons things earlier, so it shouldn't blow your mind that much based on the premise, not enough to use a silly reaction image when confronted with the idea that kids are being humanized weapons)

Who are you to tell me what should and shouldn't blow my mind? Did Soul Eater do it to the extent that it's purely sexual, as it is in this show? Where are you getting the idea that anything in the show is so serious as to be described as "kids being humanized weapons"? There's nothing in there to support the idea that it has anything in common with either of those. It's a particularly weird sex comedy with some really strange shit in it.

You're not doing a lot to convince me that you have a valid argument other than "I disagree with you and have to phrase my disagreements in a way that makes you objectively wrong rather than simply disagreeing with your subjective viewpoint".

But I have a lot of work to do today and shouldn't be in here arguing with you guys. There are 5 other people writing previews, I still honestly don't understand why you don't simply read the ones you like.
Rensie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Pointing out which kind of fetish the show is for upsets people. I get that. I likely will not do it again. But I never said you're a horrible person or even that people who were in to those things were horrible. The level of sensitivity some of you have about this stuff is ludicrous.

Your problem like some other writers is that you lack delicacy. I prefer a sentence " for me this show is shit and for this reason i will never watch more" then start to insulting the community using some bad jokes or ridiculize the whole anime industry. I don't laught when you made these jokes and i find them distasteful.

You want another example of bad writing from someone into anime?
Rebecca:
Quote:
Add to that the fact that the teacher's face is in shadow most of the time, implying that he is a stand-in for the viewer, and you've got some seriously prurient material for a non-hentai show. If this is where the anime industry is headed, I weep for us all.

As a fan i find this sentence insulting. Us who? speack for yourself please, and second for 1 show over 15 is a stupid, false and exagerate statement expecially because this season is fullfilled with good titles. Is asking too much for a normal preview without all this negativity and exagerations?

Opening a blog separated from the main site where you can ridiculize and denigrate the whole anime industry, much better if you have the urge to take it out on something. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Rensie on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
...Pointing out which kind of fetish the show is for upsets people. I get that. I likely will not do it again. But I never said you're a horrible person or even that people who were in to those things were horrible. The level of sensitivity some of you have about this stuff is ludicrous.

Zac, some of us (me, included) find the fetish-identification useful information. I don't think that you should censor yourself just because a handful of people have persecution complexes....
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If you're not willing to even accept [moe] as a classification, then how else do you accurately describe series like K-ON! or Sound of the Sky or Kanon which focus as much more on trying to generate moe reactions than anything else?

Slice of life. That's the genre/classification. (Can add drama for SnW and Kanon, comedy for K-ON).

Shows cannot be moe. Moe is attributed to characters. Because you feel moe for characters, not shows. You can say that a show is loaded with moe characters, but it doesn't make sense to say that a show is moe. Moe is not a genre. There can be plenty of shows with moe characters that span a wide number of genres. There are plenty of moe characters in Bodacious Space Pirates, and it's a sci-fi/slice-of-life. There are also moe characters in Shakugan no Shana and it's a shounen/action show. But neither of those shows are moe shows. They're sci-fi/slice-of-life and shounen/action.

This is a big pet peeve of mine, and since you asked, there's your answer.

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rensie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Zac, some of us (me, included) find the fetish-identification useful information. I don't think that you should censor yourself just because a handful of people have persecution complexes....

You aren't the majority neither.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
yamata no orochi wrote:

Key, was Mawaru Penguindrum really made by SILVER LINK? Because I'm pretty sure it was a Brains Base production. I looked on Wikipedia but couldn't find a mention of SILVER LINK anywhere.

While I don't know about SILVER LINK's involvement, I've never even heard of them before, Penguindrum was made by Brains Base for sure. I think a lot of it was done by freelancers who don't normally work on BB shows but you can see them listed here on the OP at 1:09.

Got around to trying Accel World earlier and was pleasently surprised that I enjoyed it more than expected. I had checked out the first chapter of the manga so the first episode wasn't brand new material for me but I thought it was paced well and looked pretty grand too. Background music was a bit different than what I was expecting but it was nice, glad that Viz picked this one up.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

You aren't the majority neither.

Well, ..... duh. No single person is a majority. Rolling Eyes I wouldn't expect Zac to censor his reviews to cater to my tastes, so why should you?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Just read Rebecca's preview for Saki Achiga-hen. I'm guessing that she never watched Saki considering she thought Nodoka would play an important role in Achiga-hen? But yeah, for someone who didn't watch the first series and doesn't know that the first episode rushes so that they can get to Nationals, it's a pretty fair review. Nodoka is pretty much the least interesting Saki character and that... err... apron? gown? was way too fanservicy for my tastes. Anyway, now that it'll be Shizuno, Ako, Kuro, and 2 newcomers along with that teacher-turned-pro most likely coming back to coach them to nationals, it should be a pretty fun watch. The crazy over-the-top mahjong battles (seriously, watch that) is one of the main draws of Saki, and considering that the first episode only barely had any of the actual game, it was pretty weak. It looks like next episode will have the Achiga girls in their first tournament though.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Key wrote:
If you're not willing to even accept [moe] as a classification, then how else do you accurately describe series like K-ON! or Sound of the Sky or Kanon which focus as much more on trying to generate moe reactions than anything else?

Slice of life. That's the genre/classification. (Can add drama for SnW and Kanon, comedy for K-ON).

Shows cannot be moe. Moe is attributed to characters. Because you feel moe for characters, not shows. You can say that a show is loaded with moe characters, but it doesn't make sense to say that a show is moe. Moe is not a genre. There can be plenty of shows with moe characters that span a wide number of genres. There are plenty of moe characters in Bodacious Space Pirates, and it's a sci-fi/slice-of-life. There are also moe characters in Shakugan no Shana and it's a shounen/action show. But neither of those shows are moe shows. They're sci-fi/slice-of-life and shounen/action.

So a comedy is not a genre because you laugh at characters.That is brilliant!!!!!
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Poor, poor Zac. Must we grieve this man for his reviews, when they're easily the most fun to read, albeit less serious than others? Here are my thoughts on what I've watched from the season thus far:

- Medaka Box prompted me to count cliches on my fingers, yell at the screen, and groan in exasperation more times than I can remember. I'm not even giving this show a chance, because frankly, I've had more original bowel movements.

- Lupin III: The Woman Named Fujiko Mine had me hooked from the first few minutes. This show bleeds artistry, and with it's amazing music, phenomenal voice acting, and overall aesthetic grace, the first episode indicate this may be a Show of the Year contender.

- Space Brothers is a nice, quirky little show. I'm a sucker for things about brotherly and sibling bonds, and seeing a vaguely futuristic concept being played off as a convincing slice-of-life tale is charming. Good show, and the OP is one of the more original I've seen.

- Mysterious Girlfriend X is definitely not for everybody. It's art-style is oddly old-school, obviously influenced by Rumiko Takahashi, and it's concept may come across as a mix of cliche with odd gross-out concepts thrown in to keep things fresh. However, I enjoyed the first episode, and I'll stick around to see where it's going. Also, the VA behind Makoto is amazing, giving off an air of maturity despite her relatively young age. I see great things in the future for her.

Also, here's looking forward to another season of The Stream from the wonderful Bamboo Dong! *cheers*
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
[snip]
So a comedy is not a genre because you laugh at characters.That is brilliant!!!!!

Huh? You don't feel comedy for characters. Hell, the comedy could be from something other than characters. There is no chalkboard character in Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei and yet some of the stuff that makes me laugh at times is what is written on it.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Don't like a show? Think its terrible? Find it offensive? Great! Don't watch it.

Umm, just pointing it out, but the obvious counter to this is "Don't like an article? Think it's terrible? Find it offensive? Great! Don't read it."

As the same can be applied to comments, I did not read your post and am only guessing at what you said. I trust that you will reciprocate by not reading this.

To be clear to the people who do read this, I don't completely agree with either statement. Just noting the hypocrisy, which is a sin except when I do it. (I have no choice, having taken the Hypocritic Oath).
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Key wrote:

I would think moe can be seen as a genre, if not a sub-genre at least.

Just as shows that revolve around action, comedy or drama are classified as such, I don't think it's too far a stretch to say a show that revolves around eliciting a moe reaction from its viewer is a moe show.

Even that is open to interpretation, as Kanon and Air are the only two shows i've seen that i would put into that niche category.

Zac wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Zac, I think it's more of the general "only loser otaku would like this" attitude you have in some of your reviews that people have the main issue with. Upotte's said it should only be watched by "People who want to see how crazy it is" or "Losers who want to sex their guns",

The first one is not a negative at all. I do that myself - I watch stuff just to see how crazy it is all the time. Plenty of people do that. I don't even understand how you can interpret that as a negative.

The second, gun fetishism is absolutely a real thing. And there are people who get sexual with it. Do I think it's weird? Yes. Do I think this show would appeal to those guys? Absolutely. Seems like it's made with them in mind first.

I stopped reading Zac's reviews long ago, as i realized that his likes are usually way out from mine, but I read these reviews just to see what all the bruhah was about.

He doesn't attack anyone, talk down to anyone. He doesn't call a group losers as misquoted above.

Some people need to take a breath. And maybe a Zanax

Last edited by kakitamike on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
danilo07 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
[snip]

Huh? You don't feel comedy for characters. Hell, the comedy could be from something other than characters. There is no chalkboard character in Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei and yet some of the stuff that makes me laugh at times is what is written on it.

Mostly comedy's are based on characters and yes sometimes it does not need characters,but if we were to define genres based whether they need characters for it than I guess slice of life ,drama and tragedy would not be genres.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 69