• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Suspends Dragon Ball Z Blu-ray Production

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't planning on gettin these anyway unless they gave us complete seasoned sets on blu-ray. Even though I do own all the Dboxes, I would like to own the entire series with the Faulconer soundtrack. Hopefully FUNimation will come up with something better in the future.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Kai enough said. Why bother with Z any more (unless you cared about Boo and other fillers)?
Spoofer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Interesting prices of those OoP boxes. I can see it now, in the near future: "OMG! IT'S OVER $9000!"

Yeah, you thought of it. You know you did. Don't play that game.

As for the news, I'm rather indifferent to it only because the product never interested me.

When Box 2 (I believe) first went OOP for the final time, the only third-party listing on Amazon was up for $9,001 for a day or two.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Dragon Ball Kai enough said. Why bother with Z any more (unless you cared about Boo and other fillers)?

the driving epiosde from the cell sage will always be cannon in my heart.. what better way to do a filler than have piccolo and goku learn to drive
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

The first half of Buu was nice.. Gohan as Saiyaman, meeting Videl, and the series shifting towards Gohan in general.. but then Goku comes back to take spotlight and save the day (or not) and it gets kind of messy halfway though when Buu has like 4 forms.

As for filler, the only interesting one was the one's involving Maron. Partly due to fanservice and partly due to it tying into Krillin naming his daughter after his ex.. which is kind of morbid when you think about it.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
surprised how many "anime aficionados" here are happy the the cropped dragon boxes. these remastered blurays are just as they were originally broadcasted, but beautifully remastered to look as good as it will ever look. it's the true ultimate release. those dragon boxes are shit.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote
If they had released entire seasons on each set instead of trying to rip people off again it might have turned out better.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

I'm not a fan of replacing VAs, especially not on a show as big as dbz.

Also fillers? If you don't want to watch a certain episode there's always the fast forward button.
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
Considering there are a billion other options to watch this, why would anyone bother in the first place?

"Seriously, he fell into the hole the first time, he fell into the hole the SECOND time...hey. Know what'll happen the next time you buy it?"
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
surprised how many "anime aficionados" here are happy the the cropped dragon boxes. these remastered blurays are just as they were originally broadcasted, but beautifully remastered to look as good as it will ever look. it's the true ultimate release. those dragon boxes are shit.

I think you are referring to the orange sets. Either that, or you're a dumb dumb...how's that there foot taste? :p

Those out-of-print Dragon Box prices are hilarious. Purchased all mine day one for an average of $25 each. Ahh feels good to know I won't be taking part in that Amazon nightmare. Perfect example of why you shouldn't procrastinate when it comes to anime my friends.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:19 am Reply with quote
ssgOverlord wrote:

I picked up Volumes 1 and 2 for $20 and $25, respectively, at MovieStop. Both were used. A winner is me?

Seems like Boxes 1, 2 and 4 are the most difficult to come across, as 3, 5, 6 and 7 are still very much obtainable under $50 each.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Doing it frame by frame is a lot of money that no regular fan will buy. What's the point of releasing something if they can't even cover the cost of the restoration?

Probably their sales projections underestimated the impact of the ongoing US recession.

[it's not aimed at regular fans, it's aimed at completist obsessives. Who form a large enough group that this sort of operation can often be profitable; cf japan. But the US economy is in a terrible terrible shape [and "completist obsessive" correlates non-trivially with "marginally attached to the labour force", and it's much much worse being underemployed in the US than japan] so luxuries get cut back on.]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
Mr Big200 wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Interesting prices of those OoP boxes. I can see it now, in the near future: "OMG! IT'S OVER $9000!"

Yeah, you thought of it. You know you did. Don't play that game.

As for the news, I'm rather indifferent to it only because the product never interested me.

welp someone had to do it! lol

I was that someone in this case.

On topic, only time will tell if Funimation will resume production of these DVD's. Suspending isn't outright termination, so it's really a wait and see movement.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Congratulations, Blu-Ray buyers! You now know exactly how the devoted fans felt after the Ultimate Uncuts got canceled!

This!

Welcome to the club Blu-ray buyers, it's about time we get more people join after so long. Rolling Eyes
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
On topic, only time will tell if Funimation will resume production of these DVD's. Suspending isn't outright termination, so it's really a wait and see movement.

Knowing FUNimation, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if production is terminated on this particular release. Terminations disguised as something being "suspended" or "on hiatus" is a very common safe word in business.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
I guess the best hope now is for Stephen Colbert to get involved.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6