• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: How do you prefer to watch anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
In response to penguintruth and posterior_praiser:

Well I don't know about that myself. I'm perfectly fine watching a live-action foreign film in its original language with subtitles. But for something animated its less of an issue to me since animated characters do not actually have their own voice. Unless its a big budget film, then the issues about lip syncing are null since its just a matter of the actor timing their voice to the mouth flaps. They are doing the same thing as the english actors and recording the voices after the animation is done. I think it is a bit much to call it xenophobic to prefer to have the same opportunity as the Japanese and watch a show in your native language without a constant stream of text popping up on the screen. As I said before I don't really care either way how I watch it. But more often than not I watch it dubbed since that what I've become accustomed to as a life-long animation fan. In the end its about people watching anime so who really care how they watch it as long as they are watching it? Yes there might be some things lost in translation when going from Japanese to English, but it works the other way around too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
jcaliff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Darn, no option for raw Japanese without subs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
nagashi wrote:
Quote:
If you've got the choice between a Japanese dub with subtitles or an alternate language dub with absolute translation fidelity and equal acting quality, then the latter should be the natural choice

Can't say I agree. First off, anime *tends* to take place in Japan, or star japanese people. The fact that in an english dub they're NOT speaking Japanese is inappropriate. If I'm watching a French movie that takes place in France starring French people, I'm sure as heck going to watch it with the French audio, and I don't see why that would be any different for anime.

This is coming from a life long dub hater though, so an anime having an english dub with a cast of equal quality is an extreme hypothetical to me anyhow Smile

Okay, this doesn't hold much water here.
Do you like watching Afro Samurai in English? After all, the English voice track was recorded first.

@ Shadowrun: Australian isn't a language. They speak English down under just as we do.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
In response to penguintruth and posterior_praiser:

Well I don't know about that myself. I'm perfectly fine watching a live-action foreign film in its original language with subtitles. But for something animated its less of an issue to me since animated characters do not actually have their own voice. Unless its a big budget film, then the issues about lip syncing are null since its just a matter of the actor timing their voice to the mouth flaps. They are doing the same thing as the english actors and recording the voices after the animation is done. I think it is a bit much to call it xenophobic to prefer to have the same opportunity as the Japanese and watch a show in your native language without a constant stream of text popping up on the screen. As I said before I don't really care either way how I watch it. But more often than not I watch it dubbed since that what I've become accustomed to as a life-long animation fan. In the end its about people watching anime so who really care how they watch it as long as they are watching it? Yes there might be some things lost in translation when going from Japanese to English, but it works the other way around too.

Yes I agree. It is a preference for sure. I don't have a problem with people who watch dubs, but I hardly see how reading subs can be seen as such an inconcenience as to make the sub track unwatchable for some people. Either way it's good to have people watching anime though.

about the xenophobia comment, I dont think anime fans on the whole are like that at all. I was more referring to the general public and foreign films, which I do think suffer from that problem. Native English speakers in North America especially seem to have more of a problem then most when it comes to watching or listening to things that are not in English. The lack of quality foreign language flims that make it to the big theatres here attests to that.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Do you like watching Afro Samurai in English? After all, the English voice track was recorded first.

@ Shadowrun: Australian isn't a language. They speak English down under just as we do.
Things like Afro Samurai are pretty rare were only a English dub exists or was recorded first, but as someone who watched anime subbed only, I don't mind watching things like the Amitage III movie in English. But titles like these are the exception to the rule. Secondly Mad Max was originally dubbed for the US market, despite the fact the entire move is in English. Accents and some of the Australian lingo must have been too much for the American distributors. Odd seeing as lot of Australian movies were released in US in art house and grindhouse cinemas during the 1970's and into the 1980's.

Before watching anime, I was into foreign language cinema, so it only seemed natural to me to watch anything in a foreign language with English subtitles. In Australia we have a free-to-air network called SBS which shows mostly multicultural programming. This has probably had a big influence on how I watch foreign language shows. But unlike almost all of their live action programming, anime is almost shown dubbed, which is really odd.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I mostly prefer watching anime on my laptop. I dont like for people to see me watching it. They talk to much and I cant hear whats going on and sometimes they will poke fun of it. Its harmless but annoying.

I watch it alone, in my room on my laptop. In silence and peace.

I prefer fansubs and not having to download it. I did download two series because I couldnt find them anywhere online. They were being pulled off everywhere so I just went ahead searched like crazy, found em, and downloaded them.

I'm a gamer. I cant afford to buy both anime, manga, and games, feed my cat and dog, and myself. I cant. I'm poor as dirt. I eat 1 meal a day sometimes.

In some rare cases if I love a series and its short I will ask my folks to get me it as a gift. I dont buy series that have 100+ episodes though. 50 is as far as I'll go.

Yes, I am aware that what I am doing is wrong. I know that. But I cant help it. And when a series is right there in front of you, easy to watch and free its hard to tell myself "no I wont watch this let me close it and go buy the dvds."

Plus I dont like to buy things blindy. So I have to be sure I love the series before I own it. And that I will watch it again.

As for dub or sub? I dont care either way. Though if its a series like Peach Girl-subs is a must. Seriously that show is cheesy and embarrassing but I love it. Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49PsKP2tHfc Dear god...I cant watch this without bursting out laughing. At least in Japanese I dont have to hear those corny lines..omg..hearing them in your own language rather then reading them....its so different. In cases like that I prefer subs. But mostly I go both ways. (lol)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
nagashi wrote:
Quote:
If you've got the choice between a Japanese dub with subtitles or an alternate language dub with absolute translation fidelity and equal acting quality, then the latter should be the natural choice

Can't say I agree. First off, anime *tends* to take place in Japan, or star japanese people. The fact that in an english dub they're NOT speaking Japanese is inappropriate. If I'm watching a French movie that takes place in France starring French people, I'm sure as heck going to watch it with the French audio, and I don't see why that would be any different for anime.

This is coming from a life long dub hater though, so an anime having an english dub with a cast of equal quality is an extreme hypothetical to me anyhow Smile

That show is an anomaly because of the way it was produced, literally a 1 in 500 show. We're talking about most anime here.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:

about the xenophobia comment, I don't think anime fans on the whole are like that at all. I was more referring to the general public and foreign films, which I do think suffer from that problem. Native English speakers in North America especially seem to have more of a problem then most when it comes to watching or listening to things that are not in English. The lack of quality foreign language flims that make it to the big theatres here attests to that.

Why exactly is this a surprise? General audiences go to the movies to enjoy the audiovisual experience taking place, and a good portion of that experience is listening to what the characters are saying. Anyone who isn't already a foreign-films fan is probably going to find not understanding the characters' dialogue without resorting to subtitles to be detrimental to their immersion in the film. Besides that, considering the sheer volume of films the American industry puts out every year, I don't see how you'd be able to make room for any significant number of foreign films outside of the arthouse circuit.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
This survey was a bit odd for me. I see most anime via fansubs but I don't prefer them to legit releases, that's just how it is. I prefer DVDs to any download method but I also want to see shows as they are airing. They are not mutually exclusive, but my preferred legal purchase method is not and cannot be my preferred initial (usually) viewing method.

So I had to try and determine whether to answer the questions based on how I prefer to buy my anime vs. how I prefer to actually watch it. I based most of my answers on the former. While I watch far more fansubs than DVDs (key word is watch; I don't actually watch a lot of what I buy as I've already seen it), I would not say that I prefer fansubs to DVDs.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I have to laugh at the people who have the attitude of, "I don't want to read and watch, I don't care if the dub is inferior." Is it that tough to follow subtitles? If you watch enough subtitled anime, it becomes like second nature, you don't even notice that you have to read.

I've watched at least a decent amount of fansubs (including 200 episodes and counting of One Piece), and I'm still noticing that I have to read every single time I glance down at the edge of the screen. To me, the fact that I read quickly enough to do so is irrelevant; in my mind, anything that distracts me from taking in the entirety of what's going on in a scene is detrimental to my enjoyment of it.

I agree entirely. While I have no problems with fansubs myself, I still like to see a dub version because I can finally put my full concentration on the screen. I'm by no means a slow reader, but darting back and forth is still distracting from the scene, especially if there is action/music/etc. all going on at once..
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Before watching anime, I was into foreign language cinema, so it only seemed natural to me to watch anything in a foreign language with English subtitles. In Australia we have a free-to-air network called SBS which shows mostly multicultural programming. This has probably had a big influence on how I watch foreign language shows. But unlike almost all of their live action programming, anime is almost shown dubbed, which is really odd.

That goes into the whole "hearing the original voices" arguement, where many people confuse animation dubs with live-action dubs. In live-action, it's much more important to hear the original voices because those voices belong to the human actors you see on the TV screen. But animation, be it hand-drawn cels, CGI, or stop-motion, doesn't have its own voices; those are recorded later, so in a way, all animation is dubbed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
On top of a pile of money, with many beautiful ladies.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote
I didn't get the chance to participate in the survey, but here's what I would have posted/chosen:

Language: Japanese with subs all the way. I royally hate 99% of all dubs out there, Haruhi being the exception, though I saw it first as fansubbed as it was airing, so I'm partial to the sub. Hirano Aya FTW!

Format: For me it all depends. I usually download (fansubs or dual audio), but if I have some extra money, or if it's a gift giving season (birthday/Christmas etc) I get the series on DVD. I have Haruhi, Inuyasha season 1, Azumanga Daioh, and several of the Miyazaki films like that.

Where I watch: I watch on one of three devices:

• My laptop, since most of my fansubs are some sort of widescreen resolution, though when not it doesn't look bad in 4:3

• DVD Player + TV: I usually do that when I'm watching with friends, and I've seen the series before (i.e. Haruhi or Azumanga).

• Encoded for my iPhone: I like watching anime on my iPhone because I don't have to lug my laptop with me (to bed for example) when I wanna watch something while falling asleep.

I really have no comment on the ongoing arguments in this thread. Heh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4