• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GW Bush Campaign Ad Includes... Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sesshomaru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
oh my god that is one bad ad.....whats with wolfwoods eyes.lol
yugio
animaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Hey its not theft if that were theft my man making amv's would be theft and so on. I think the video makes a good point about kerry its the japanese job to deal with the yakuza not ours although terrorists are attacking us and the rest of the world, thus the war on terror is a global issue unlike the yakuza really. I do think it was a pretty horrible looking image though in fact it could be taken perhaps as insulting I myself just think it was a bad image and wouldn't have put it in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Ha! That's funny as hell. I'm someone who has a Wolfwood figure aobe his monitor, a smaller one below, the bust to the right, and heck I even have the cross necklace and put crosses on my coat sleeves. So yeah, I thought that was funny as hell.

Plus that Bush used a priest as a symbol of an evil crime boss is even funnier. Also, it does look like Yu Gi Oh for the eyes and Kaneda for the mouth and nose. I remember hearing that if you alter an image by a percentage, you avoid lawsuits.

I know Bush himself didn't have anything to do with this, but he does seem as dumb as this ad. Then again Kerry is no prize. He's a wishy washy self serving hack. I'm from his home state and I don't ever remember him doing anything for us or standing out for anything. Plus he's as rich if not richer than Bush. And don't get me started on what a jerk he and the Democrats have been about this DNC Con that's shutting down the whole damn city in Boston.

Bah. I was hoping for Dean or someone descent from the Democrats, but they went with their old hacks again. Dean got shafted by the media and his own party and had to leave before I could even vote for him. I still want to vote for him even if it does nothing because Kerry is really just as bad as Bush. Either Dean.. or Optimus Prime. Meh. Dean. Prime would be nice but it's unrealistic. He was born on Cyberton and not this country after all. (kidding)

-Xenos
Izlude

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
RALPH NADER FOR PRESIDENT 2004!
Because Bush and Kerry cancel each other out.

Smartest thing I heard all day
jfrog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Well, at least he's got more of a chance than Lyndon LaRouche Rolling Eyes

Optimus Prime would be nice, but I think that even Lex Luthor would be preferable to our choices this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
animeman500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:28 pm Reply with quote
lmao the funniest thing is that all these people think Bush personaly took time out to make that ad and stick a badly drawn wolf wood in there, lmao it was prob some tech geek into anime who threw it in there. Why do you all care anyway you wouldnt have seen it if ANN hadnt put it up on this web site.
Rebecca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
lmao the funniest thing is that all these people think Bush personaly took time out to make that ad and stick a badly drawn wolf wood in there

No one is saying Bush sat down and came up with this ad himself. The ad, however, does reflect on Bush since he picked his campaign managers and they decided to use this image to represent the yakuza.

What I can't figure out is why they didn't use a picture of a convicted yakuza member? It makes more sense, but somehow they went "No no, we can't use a REAL picture. Wait, I've got it, let's use a picture from a series that...has...nothing to do with the yakuza!"
yoh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Two words. Bush Sucks.
Proman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:02 pm Reply with quote
yoh wrote:
Two words. Bush Sucks.

Ditto. And by the way, John Kerry would make a much better president than Bush. But then again, almost everyone would make a better president than Bush. It's funny how people who have absolutely nothing intelligent to say always come up with the most idiotic things (like this this campaign ad).
I can't wait for Bush to pick Pikachu as his running mate for this year's election Laughing .
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:06 pm Reply with quote
blah blah blah bush sucks, bush is a lame arse so on so on.

I'm British so American politics don't concern me to much (a little but not to much). Personally I'm not a big fan of Bush but lets not forget that it was you who elected him. You can call him names now but never the less a large amount of people most have liked him when he was elected.

Admittedly the ad is pretty tacky but then again a lot of politics are tacky nowadays. In any case remember this is an anime website not a politcal website.
FavorUnderlings

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
blah blah blah bush sucks, bush is a lame arse so on so on.

I'm British so American politics don't concern me to much (a little but not to much). Personally I'm not a big fan of Bush but lets not forget that it was you who elected him. You can call him names now but never the less a large amount of people most have liked him when he was elected.

Admittedly the ad is pretty tacky but then again a lot of politics are tacky nowadays. In any case remember this is an anime website not a politcal website.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

In all seriousness, I didn't vote for Bush nor will I ever vote for an oily, right wing, war lover. The far left is the only place I'll ever be.
Bell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:52 pm Reply with quote
It looks like they removed the cross from Wolfwood's sleeve. So they knew he's a priest and yet they still used him in the ad!
C_Brightshadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I spend a day with my family driving to Washington D.C. to fill our car with asian groceries and I find a 50+ thread about Wolfwood in a Bush ad campaign with two streams of thought. One, is how interesting it is to see an anime character in a presidential campaign. Two, is people bashing on bush, which is really irritating because it's quite clear that they don't know what they're talking about. I'm no fan of bush (I'm about as liberal as you get) but I think bashing on the president with accusations not real facts (and I'm talking about real things, not charts that people feed us through the media).

Also, he's smarter than he looks, rather than the fact that people keep bashing him for being stupid. Let me put it this way because some people don't get it too well: being anti-bush doesn't make you smart. Wink

As for me, I'm going to get a copy of the ad and use it for cheap amusement...

Quote:

And everyone else should vote for this guy like me Cool
FavorUnderlings

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:24 pm Reply with quote
C_Brightshadow wrote:
being bush doesn't make you smart.

fixed
Animated_Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:42 am Reply with quote
Shocked It does look like Wolfwood mixed with Yami Yugi! *shudders* It's sort of creepy looking... of course, I suppose that was the effect that they were hoping for. Mad

BTW: What the heck is a "Yakuza" or whatever?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7