• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Good Dubs???

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
monkeyDluffy4 wrote:
Getting back to the topic, I enjoyed the FLCL dub and the Ranma 1/2 dub a lot too. (Japanese was better for Ranma, hands down, but I enjoyed listening to the characters in English. They kind of grow on you.)

I'll second those.

Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly/FLCL is a very good dub. They got just about all of the pronounciations down (which is my usual pet peeve in dubs,) a good match in voices, and they even translated the -kun, -san, and -chan's in the people's names. I think that was the first time I ever heard that happen. Very good dub for what it's worth.

As for Ranma, I'd prefer it in Japanese, as they have an all-star cast lined up. But as you said, it was still enjoyable (to me anyway since they are my favorite dubbing group Razz.) I especially liked Ted Cole as Kunou, and the woman they casted as the first Kodachi voice was dead-on with her laugh.

I didn't like the first Ranma voice, it was too aparrent that the voice was played by a woman. I'd say Richard Cox was a better fit (what a coincidence that he plays both Ranma and Inu-Yasha, who were both played by Kappei Yamguchi Laughing.)

I didn't like Venus Terzo as girl-Ranma either. Her voice was too throaty. It sounded like she was always struggling to sound angry. Other than her though, I think the rest of the cast was very decent (they could've worked on pronounciations though, and Ryouga could've put a little more fire into some of his lines, but now I'm just being picky Anime catgrin + sweatdrop.)

And welcome to the forums, animegirl_nyc! Wink
jncalp

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:37 am Reply with quote
Okay, anyone who has seen any of my posts before probably already know what anime I am going to say is my favortie dub. For those of you who do not know, I consider FLCL to be the best dub I have ever heard. Now this may be because the series is my favorite anime series out there, but there are a couple of reasons why I think it is a real good dub. First off, if you compare the dub actors to the original japanese actors, especially Haruko, they sound quite similar, of course not exactly the same but closer than any other anime I've seen. And the dub also featured the occasional japanese suffix after the name, -chan, -kun, and so forth (excuse me if I referred to them wrong I forget what they are called specifically). And about the only difference between the two scripts, English and Japanese, is when something is simply too cultural for anyone but Japanese to understand, such as the way to write mackerel in kanji.

As for Kare Kano, I'm glad that someone else did not think that that dub was all that bad, I was afraid for awhile that I was the only one who thought it was alright, granted the voice for Arima is a bit too deep.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Ninja Scroll Razz Wings of Honneamise, Jin-Roh and Ghost in the Shell are good dubs. As for series goes I'd say Trigun is very good. Wolfwood's voice was just perfect. Bebop is nice too.
Atypical

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm big on Subs, but i'd have to say the Excel Saga Dub wasn't all too bad. Excel's English Dub voice was alot more hyper, and showed alot more energy. But i enjoyed boy subbed and dubbed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4