• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Confirms U.S. Release of Fate/Zero BD Boxes

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
If people really cared about supporting the anime industry, they'd be more willing to buy these kinds of releases.

Most anime fans don't have the income to support this kind of robbery er, pricing. I care about the anime industry, but I don't want to be ripped off by it either. I love hockey, but I wouldn't pay $1500 for a rinkside playoff ticket either Anime hyper .
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Excuse me, what "broader market release" two years later, I certainly haven't seen nor heard squat about any other Garden of Sinners release for example or any plans for one.
We'd not be hearing any firm information on a North American release on a title like this, this close to the Japanese premium BD release, whether or not the batch import release had been sold.

Aniplex have said they are considering a less expensive release at some future date, format undetermined, which is as much as we'd be hearing in either event.

This is just identifying a title that is likely to some an appreciable number of US export sales, and packaging up a batch import release in hopes of boosting US export sales by some fairly small incremental amount. Given that an extra 20 in export sales (not total in export sales) would be an extra $7,000+, and exporting by batch means that the extra BD's were produced in the original run at very low production cost without affecting the Japanese release count ... it's surely worth doing for a release that is going to have a big enough direct US export market.

But its absurd to argue that its going to be some massive obstacle to a later regular release. That incremental 10 to 50 extra exports to the US is not going to spoil the market for the broader release, assuming there ever was a large enough market to justify a broader release.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I wish they'd release stuff on DVD. Even if I could afford this, I don't own a blu-ray player so... Confused

Kind of an odd place to complain about a Blu-ray only release. If you could afford this you could surely afford a Blu-ray player...
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that I have a legal way to find out what the story is --- even if the video isn't as good as it would be on a BD release. Even with the Nico-nico and Crunchyroll quality, the series looks very pretty.

Even at lower prices, I'm not sure I'd care enough about this series to buy it.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
If people really cared about supporting the anime industry, they'd be more willing to buy these kinds of releases.

People do care about supporting the anime industry, however I do not know many people who can easily shell out that kind of money in one sitting for a show. I mean there are some shows that I would pay that kind of money to get over time or at once like LOGH which IMO is TOTALLY worth it.

I cannot shell out that at one time for a series that is more than what I bring home in a week from work.

I buy anime when I can but the US economy is still not that good. Even if it was in good shape I am not willing to pay that kind of money for a series that I have never seen nor will I ever watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

So what if some people are willing to hemorrhage for one show, the response to this every time still shows that a very significant portion of fandom who'd like to buy and whom spend a ton of money on anime at Rightstuf etc. each week/month is being screwed by only offering glorified imports when our longtime R1 companies can find ways of offering the same content for more acceptable pricing for our market even by just splitting up the release into two parts or whatnot.

And to go even further this is not even the whole thing, this is just a freaking half season set of 13, the entire series will run almost $800+

That part made me chuckle, you realize that this is exactly what they did, right?

Anyway, I'm a massive type-moon fan, and I even bought the Kara no Kyoukai boxset and have the Madoka LEs on preorder, but I won't be buying this. Madoka was already more expensive than KnK, Fate/Zero pushes the limit too far if you ask me. Do the maths, the set is extremely expensive when you go by the $/minute ratio, way more than the other two. Plus, it wouldn't make much sense to order the first set and ignore the second, 750$ is just too much money for a single series. Then again, I'll most likely sell out anyway and I'll be glad if it does, but I'm hoping there will be another less expensive release at some point in time.

Last edited by fireaxe on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:52 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
If people really cared about supporting the anime industry, they'd be more willing to buy these kinds of releases. The reason that the anime industry doesn't care about America is because they STILL don't buy up anime even at dirt cheap prices. If you offered someone something for 1/10th the price and they still don't buy it, I'm sure you'd also get fed up and not want to cater to them.

To support the anime industry, we must support ourselves first. DVDs and BDs are not edible.

Within the past couple of weeks, multiple threads have been posted in the Retail section with sales. I took advantage of these "dirt cheap prices." Go here, here, and here for more information.

The first thing I thought of immediately when I saw "1st box set with 13 episodes to be released on March 7" and the $370 price tag was "There's another box set coming?!"

I love how a Blu-ray release gives Japanese anime companies the right, not privilege, to charge as much as they want. They might as well ask for the fan's bank account while they are at it.
Whoomp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Kind of like saying that you don't care about the car industry just because you don't want to buy a Ferrari.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Excuse me, what "broader market release" two years later, I certainly haven't seen nor heard squat about any other Garden of Sinners release for example or any plans for one.
We'd not be hearing any firm information on a North American release on a title like this, this close to the Japanese premium BD release, whether or not the batch import release had been sold.

Aniplex have said they are considering a less expensive release at some future date, format undetermined, which is as much as we'd be hearing in either event.

This is just identifying a title that is likely to some an appreciable number of US export sales, and packaging up a batch import release in hopes of boosting US export sales by some fairly small incremental amount. Given that an extra 20 in export sales (not total in export sales) would be an extra $7,000+, and exporting by batch means that the extra BD's were produced in the original run at very low production cost without affecting the Japanese release count ... it's surely worth doing for a release that is going to have a big enough direct US export market.

But its absurd to argue that its going to be some massive obstacle to a later regular release. That incremental 10 to 50 extra exports to the US is not going to spoil the market for the broader release, assuming there ever was a large enough market to justify a broader release.

What do you mean we wouldn't have heard about them if the import batch release hadn't been sold? We hear about US releases even if they'll have to wait until after the import release ALL the time, particularly on movies where we've known Redline for example would get a US BD release even before the Japanese BD came out even though we'd have to wait a few months for it so as not to interfere with the JP release. Plus we hear about pre-licensing and mid-licensing all the time regardless of whether or not we'll be waiting until a couple of import volumes are out first, the Garden of Sinners movies have been out in Japan on BD for more than enough time that we would have indeed heard about a US release from say a Sentai who probably even would have dubbed them by now or even a Funi who even if it wasn't coming out yet would tell us it's coming or in some cases for some films might fast track it.

Sentai sold the Mardock Scramble movie 1 release on DVD already and dubbed it and told us the BD is coming, and that's newer than Garden of Sinners.

Actually it's not absurd at all until Aniplex proves they have any intention of offering these series to non-import buyers.

There's absolutely nothing to believe they will do it either since they have yet to do it even a single time.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

So what if some people are willing to hemorrhage for one show, the response to this every time still shows that a very significant portion of fandom who'd like to buy and whom spend a ton of money on anime at Rightstuf etc. each week/month is being screwed by only offering glorified imports when our longtime R1 companies can find ways of offering the same content for more acceptable pricing for our market even by just splitting up the release into two parts or whatnot.

And to go even further this is not even the whole thing, this is just a freaking half season set of 13, the entire series will run almost $800+

That part made me chuckled, you realize that this is exactly what they did, right?
Come on, now--fix your quote. I'm not the one who spouted that ish; DangerMouse is. Laughing

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Couldn't disagree more. I'd be glad to pay a lot more for our R1 titles, but buying just 1-2 shows a season is just ludicrous.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
I wish they'd release stuff on DVD. Even if I could afford this, I don't own a blu-ray player so... Confused

Kind of an odd place to complain about a Blu-ray only release. If you could afford this you could surely afford a Blu-ray player...

I think it's on-topic. This is the only U.S. release that's been announced for this title, but it's both too expensive for me to purchase and on a format which I don't yet own the hardware to play it on, so I was just saying that if I had my 'druthers, it would get an affordable DVD release, which I would gladly support. Hardly an uncommon wish, judging by these forums...

I shell out hundreds of dollars every year to purchase my favorite anime on DVD, so supporting the industry is very important to me. That's why releases like these can be frustrating for fans, because we're both unable to support an industry we love, plus we're left without any way of owning a series we'd like to watch.

Last edited by neocloud9 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
If people really cared about supporting the anime industry, they'd be more willing to buy these kinds of releases. The reason that the anime industry doesn't care about America is because they STILL don't buy up anime even at dirt cheap prices. If you offered someone something for 1/10th the price and they still don't buy it, I'm sure you'd also get fed up and not want to cater to them.

But if Americans start to buy this, it'll start to show Japan that even we can be a viable market, and they'd start making more anime aimed at us as well and not just Japan.

Of course, people here will just be like "WHAT MORE THAN 50 DOLLARS, NO WAY" and then go onto complain about all the moe and ecchi these days.

Funimation sells high quality anime, with a dub (usually pretty good) for a fraction of the cost. It cost me about 150 dollars to buy all of FMA: Brotherhood tv series (64 episodes) on Bluray, it would cost me about 360 dollars to buy 13 episodes bluray subtitled only with a bunch of extras that would cost maybe 50 dollars. 80 dollars would be the amount that I would be willing to pay for that.

I see Aniplex's plan leading to a dead end, instead of helping to influence change, all your doing is supporting what the Japanese want. In the aniplex business plan you're never going to see something like Hellsing or Cowboy Bebop.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

But if Americans start to buy this, it'll start to show Japan that even we can be a viable market, and they'd start making more anime aimed at us as well and not just Japan.

Of course, people here will just be like "WHAT MORE THAN 50 DOLLARS, NO WAY" and then go onto complain about all the moe and ecchi these days.

Funimation sells high quality anime, with a dub (usually pretty good) for a fraction of the cost. It cost me about 150 dollars to buy all of FMA: Brotherhood tv series (64 episodes) on Bluray, it would cost me about 360 dollars to buy 13 episodes bluray subtitled only with a bunch of extras that would cost maybe 50 dollars. 80 dollars would be the amount that I would be willing to pay for that.

I see Aniplex's plan leading to a dead end, instead of helping to influence change, all your doing is supporting what the Japanese want. In the aniplex business plan you're never going to see something like Hellsing or Cowboy Bebop.

Thank you.

fireaxe wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:

That part made me chuckled, you realize that this is exactly what they did, right?

However you misssed the point, the US companies do it so they can defeat the sticker shock of OMG this thing is $500 in one pop, here they split up AND are getting $500 twice, it did nothing to spread the cost unless you want to tell me they could have charged $1000 in one pop for 26 eps in the US market with a straight face.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Come on, now--fix your quote. I'm not the one who spouted that ish; DangerMouse is. Laughing

My bad, very sorry. =)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 22