• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Dies After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Makes you wonder what's up with these 2 titles and the people watching them.

Maybe an older brother/sister? A friend who told another friend? Who knows...oh wait.

Remember those funny Naruto commercials that advertised that kid who looked like Sasuke and Zabuza?

That must have been it. ADVERTISEMENTS.

I suppose that the temptation of being on at late night? I'm not really sure, but popularity is spreading fast.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Truly sad; my condolences for the family.

And I'm hoping that there is no fallout.

Murasakisuishou wrote:
Why do I suddenly hear "Blame Canada!"?

If South Park has taught us anything it's that blaming Canada can only lead to the Apocalypse.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Whoever said I was lacking? Take it how you want of course, it is teh interwebs.

It was simply the manner in which you carried yourself. Your statements on how you won't shed tears for those you don't know led me to this conclusion. It indeed was generalized, but perhaps it would have helped to rephrase it better.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
As far as that goes, there were younger kids with him. They never specified the ages, but the fact that there were younger kids is of concern to me. I'm not saying that you can't leave your kids alone all the time, but I highly believe it should have been wise too. I'm sure "OH, IT'S OKAY, WE'VE DONE IT PLENTY OF TIMES, NOTHING WILL HAPPEN!!"

....That story rests my case.

"Younger" can mean a year or two. Even so, don't you remember the freedom you had as a kid as well? Since I turned seven years old, I was given permission to ride my bike anywhere in the neighborhood that I wished. I would imagine many outgoing kids also were able to do this.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
o_o oh, really? do we?

The constant outcry over what will happen to the industry seems to suggest so, along with others stating "it's the kid's fault" or "it weeds out the idiots."

Although, these comments definitely were not aimed specifically at you--I only used your quote in reference to my first point. I apologize if it seemed I directed my entire post towards you, as that was not the case. I definitely should have trimmed the parts out that I was referring to instead of leaving the entire post as it was. Again, I am sorry for that.

tygerchickchibi wrote:
You seem to be looking for a "Great deal of sympathy." I'm not going to sit down and cry for this kid. We hear deaths on television every day, and this is minor compared to most of what I saw.

Point is, the child did ask for his head to be put in the sand. Actions that he caused led to his death. Parents were not supervising the children when it happened. So each are partially to blame. It was a simple accident that could've been prevented.

I see it as how it happened, whether you feel if it affects me greatly or little shouldn't be of any importance to you. I think you just misunderstood my whole post. But meh, whatever.

And please, don't assume that people *aren't* concerned about the kid's death.

Sympathy? How so? I'm not saying "go and cry for this kid," or anything close to the matter. What appalls me the most is how others seemed to have eclipsed the tragedy at hand with the question of "what happens to anime?" That is where self-interest rears its ugly head.

The parents didn't know what he was going to do, and you can't seriously expect parents to watch their child's every movement. He was over a friend's house, a safe place. They were playing in the backyard in the sandbox, generally another safe place. It was an accident that this occurred, and could have happened within two minutes.

Kids do stupid stuff. It could have happened to anyone, and similar accidents like this already have. I never said anywhere that this 'greatly affects' you or anyone else. I was criticizing the callous way you seemed to have stated it, as it's a rather inappropriate response to this. Aside from that, you made some quite valid points and I should have acknowledged those rather than focus on what I believed to be bad.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Yeah, this is not a US only phenomenon. You're just going to hear about those because that happens to be where we are. Just because you're not hearing about it doesn't mean it isn't happening elsewhere.

Indeed. There was that incident not too long in Indonesia where a kid hung himself trying to imitate a Naruto scene. If anybody, we need to feel sorry for the friends and family of Corey, either side has been hit with a tremendous loss. The family for the loss of their boy, and his friends for just playing around, being kids. They will both live with scars for the rest of their lives.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone denies that a sad thing has happened that will destroy a family (or several of them) for years to come. However, that said, accidents happen all the time. And, as a result of those accidents, people die. This is a fact of life.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I also agree that parents/teachers shouldn't be blamed, as kids that age should and do have unsupervised time. It's really only natural. I remember playing unsupervised at the age of 7, swinging on the vines that grew on the trees just beyond my backyard (Florida). And I got hurt. Many times. In fact, I think the two things that every little boy excels at are getting dirty and getting hurt.

All the same, people on this forum have a right to worry about the fallout. Many of us have vivid memories of being called evil because we watched power rangers, or getting lectured for hours on end about "pokeyman" (Pokémon), and the evils associated with it. The fact is that there WILL BE some parents who get ahold of this news and spread fear and misunderstanding with it, and there WILL BE many young kids who love the show Naruto who will no longer be allowed to watch it. These are valid concerns for people on this forum, because being misunderstood and prematurely judged are probably some of the most painful experiences in life, even as adults.

My condolences go out to the family. Stupid mistakes sometimes have very dire consequences. I myself lost a friend to drowning when I was 9 years old, so I know what it's like.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
There is not just one source to blame for what happened to this child. Parents, media, whatever. Kids will be kids. And things happen. When I was little, a couple of years younger than the kid in the article, me and my friends imitated the Mortal Combat movie and we were seriously jumping around and moving. Fortunately I was lucky nothing bad happened, but incidents like what happened to this kid unfortunately happens. And, I don't think someone is an idiot to blame anime. It is logical for someone to consider all the possibilities. Although I do not think someone will get far with the anime blaming thing, its something to point out. But its not like the show is telling them to do it, so someone might be idiotic to take it and say "anime is demonic! take it off before more happens" or whatever. Someone else on here mentioned the adult swim thing, and maybe that could be of use in the future. Or adjust the ratins system. But I am not sure on how the media system in america works, so who knows.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
wow, he died? that's horrible...
DKW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Television has for a long time been the babysitter, and cell phones have become the new chaperones.
Schools are also being blamed because children don't appear to have morals, ethics, or common sense.

Many psychological and socialogical researchers are under the impression, and claim to have research to back up the claim, that parents are no longer teaching their children anything and expecting schools to teach the children everything about everything.
This phenomenon began about 5-8 years ago, if memory serves.
Eos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
The one thing that struck me when I read this article's first posting was, in all the while that this was happening, where in the hell were these kids' parents?

Because parents can't watch over their children 24/7, which makes an incident like this a parent's worst nightmare. We all played outside with friends when were ten unsupervised.
I chanced upon the story on CNN.com's top headline list, I can't imagine what his family is going through.

Last edited by Eos on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry but I have to do this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AsOHSHSzNBw

There's a part in there...

Anyway. The parents won't get blamed, "Narutu" will (yes, I did that on purpose). Unfortunately, Naruto will get the blame for this when it was the PARENT'S fault for not teaching their kid right from worng, and not to copy what you see on TV. I'm sick of hearing about retarded parents and stupid kids doing stupid things and blaming everything but themselves.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:

Even so, don't you remember the freedom you had as a kid as well?

>.>;; You don't even want to know. I honestly never had freedom as a kid, and it can be based to individual circumstances. So sad to say, not at all. I suppose when I really had any freedom, I was 12.

Mr. Toto wrote:

Although, these comments definitely were not aimed specifically at you--I only used your quote in reference to my first point. I apologize if it seemed I directed my entire post towards you, as that was not the case. I definitely should have trimmed the parts out that I was referring to instead of leaving the entire post as it was. Again, I am sorry for that.

I haven't been in the best of moods and it's very hard for me to interpret what I say without sounding like a...xD you know. It's that I guess I got really irritated because no where in my post I ever mentioned "Naruto" or "anime."

Mr. Toto wrote:

Sympathy? How so? I'm not saying "go and cry for this kid," or anything close to the matter. What appalls me the most is how others seemed to have eclipsed the tragedy at hand with the question of "what happens to anime?" That is where self-interest rears its ugly head.

The parents didn't know what he was going to do, and you can't seriously expect parents to watch their child's every movement. He was over a friend's house, a safe place. They were playing in the backyard in the sandbox, generally another safe place. It was an accident that this occurred, and could have happened within two minutes.

I know, and that's the worst of it. It only took 2 minutes for that kid to be in serious danger. That's heartbreaking to me, indeed. And kids aren't predictable, that I know for certain.

When I was 5, I ran across the street onto oncoming traffic just to give my aunt a hug. Boy, was my butt kicked hard for that one.

Anime is a norm, I don't feel that a lot of users were posting to defend their anime in that fashion. I was concerned generally about the media influence and not being able to educate children. It makes me wonder how long the kid started watching the series before attempting something like that.

Also, I was thinking about how the article was posted on video. I deemed it laughable because of the footage posted. It was a poorly used example, considering that many kids bury their toys in sand. Why was that disturbing again?

Mr. Toto wrote:

Kids do stupid stuff. It could have happened to anyone, and similar accidents like this already have. I never said anywhere that this 'greatly affects' you or anyone else. I was criticizing the callous way you seemed to have stated it, as it's a rather inappropriate response to this. Aside from that, you made some quite valid points and I should have acknowledged those rather than focus on what I believed to be bad.

Like I said, I was generally in a bad mood, I did feel like I was being cornered, my apologies for being a bit hostile.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is a terrible end to a pointless and sad story. My condolences go out to the family.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
I
All the same, people on this forum have a right to worry about the fallout. Many of us have vivid memories of being called evil because we watched power rangers, or getting lectured for hours on end about "pokeyman" (Pokémon), and the evils associated with it. The fact is that there WILL BE some parents who get ahold of this news and spread fear and misunderstanding with it, and there WILL BE many young kids who love the show Naruto who will no longer be allowed to watch it. These are valid concerns for people on this forum, because being misunderstood and prematurely judged are probably some of the most painful experiences in life, even as adults.

I believe you said it perfectly. Hence my "omg anime is demonic" comment. -_-;
Dune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
What sad news. Sad

Prayers for the family.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9