• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, September 18-24

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
@TitanXL

Again, the Sailor Moon fandom and Pokemon fandom are very different. The Pokemon fandom generally doesn't care as much about the Japanese version. They know about it, but they generally don't watch it. They're not weaboos.

So watching anime subbed is 'weeaboo' now, let alone anime that was edited severely by 4Kids. Guess Funi was just being weeaboo by rescue licensing One Piece to release uncut. All we need is Godwin's Law for this to get any sillier.

(Though I would like to point out what little I saw of the English Yu-Gi-Oh manga used the original names: Honda, Anzu, Jounouchi, etc... you know, that other huge marketing show 4Kids ruined. Viz at least did that right)

And I gotta agree with ArsenicSteel.. if you seriously say it's impossible to find the original version, then that's entirely your fault. I have virtually every episode, movie, special, and OVA from all the different series; subbed. But, I don't think the mods like links to that kinda stuff, so I'd remove that.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I do believe it's possible, but quite difficult. I would think that I'd be able to find them ONCE. Just Google what I put in above (or some variation of it). It's MUCH easier to find the English episodes, even if you type in your language preference. I don't doubt that they're out there, but it's very clear that there aren't many people uploading them. Very few people in this country watch or care about Pokemon in Japanese (plus the English dub is arguably 4Kids' best, especially in the beginning since it kept the background music mostly intact, there were very few cuts, the character voices were well done, and edits were pretty minimal overall, it helped that Nintendo and PikachuProject (now PUSA) were on board). Yu-Gi-Oh! is a different story. The manga came out in the US when Viz ignored terms from English versions of the anime (with the exception of Pokemon). They no longer do that, as their releases of the recent YGO GX and 5Ds manga use the American names and terms. They began phasing that out in the Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist manga by calling Pegasus by his American name (Maximillion Pegasus instead of Pegasus J. Crawford).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but it's very clear that there aren't many people uploading them

Oy vey.

Quote:
(plus the English dub is arguably 4Kids' best, especially in the beginning since it kept the background music mostly intact, there were very few cuts, the character voices were well done, and edits were pretty minimal overall

Well that's highly debatable, considering you can name countless things they changed and ruined from entire character personalities, to unfitting voices with awful acting and terrible scripting, to skipping tons of episodes and OVAs and dub induced plotholes. Not to mention '4Kids best dub' is like saying the 'best kick in the stomach'

Quote:
Yu-Gi-Oh! is a different story. The manga came out in the US when Viz ignored terms from English versions of the anime (with the exception of Pokemon). They no longer do that, as their releases of the recent YGO GX and 5Ds manga use the American names and terms. They began phasing that out in the Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist manga by calling Pegasus by his American name (Maximillion Pegasus instead of Pegasus J. Crawford).

So more than likely Konami slapped them on the wrist for doing that and told them to conform. That's a shame to hear that.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Hey, don't take MY word for it! Search for it online, count how many times you find English uploads, and count how many times you find the Japanese uploads! Wink

Considering the English version is very popular and well received overall by fans... and it wasn't even totally made by 4Kids. PUSA and Nintendo had say in it too. I admit, it did get worse after the first season, and when they switched the voices (because Taj was apparently too cheap to afford the originals), it got even worse! Ash's current voice always sounds so constipated and lifeless versus Veronica Taylor's passionate and memorable performance!

Sorry! Sad That's not the only manga where that's the case. They also switched to the 4Kids English names for One Piece. It's really annoying reading Zoro as Zolo! I wish Viz would switch back, especially since FUNimation has the One Piece anime and is using the original names.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4