• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Most Anticipated R1 Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Drowning_Wolf wrote:
My vote goes to Black Lagoon, I can't possibly wait for this one.

Same here brother! Kick ass 'Revy' kicking ass! ALL KINDS!

Though 'RM' and 'Haruhi' is good too. Smile

(*Oh, nice 'Et Cetera' avatar.) Wink
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I voted Haruhi -I watched the series up to the fifth episodes and decided to stop to have something to be excited about everytime I get a new volume of the series and I loved the special edition design with all the extras, I hope Bandai will keep up giving such goodies with each SE of their future releases, not just the overly-hyped ones.

Other liscenes that I'm excited about that weren't on the list are Mai-Otome and Mushishi .
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
when Black Lagoon comes out, people are gonna wonder how they managed to pass this up. i hope this gets the mainstream attention it deserves.

I think that Black Lagoon will sell well. If it ends up on CN, or some other easily accessed network, it should do very well. I plan to buy it, but I'm not that excited about it. It's an entertaining action show that doesn't require too much thought (but a heck of a lot more than fluff like Naruto).

SHnY/TMoHS is my preferred title in the poll, but I'll probably also be picking up Karin, Ayakashi, and Megami S2 sooner or later...
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
Ummm... I don't understand why everyone voted Haruhi over Peach Girl, the best high school romance ever made. Oh man... I'd pick this up over Haruhi any day :!:

I bought and read the manga, but I didn't fall in love with the story. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. It's not something that I would bother to re-read, so I don't see a reason why I should spend more money just to see it in motion. Was the anime pretty much a straight porting-over of the plot from the manga? The artstyle seems to have been carried over from the manga to the anime pretty well, and the DVD 1 + box is pretty good, but 'no thanks.' ^_^

As far as good high school romance stories? I'm not sure what I'd pick. Mars was okay, but I don't think that I developed any more of an attachment to that series than I did with Peach Girl. I'd have to look through my regularly-thinned collection to see if I own any other manga in that genre (I might even have sold/given away those two series by this point, too).
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
quigonkenny wrote:
Even though it will likely require me to sell my soul to Bandai to afford it, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a definite, as I am a rabid fan, it's my favorite series of those being released this year, and I am eagerly awaiting seeing how good the English dub will be (and slightly less eagerly awaiting a Haruhi...pillowcase?), but it's still not my most anticipated release.

Your sentence is too long. ;p

I'm looking forward to my double-dipping on Haruhi, and the chance to show an official/legit release that has subtitles to a few other people. I'm indifferent to the dub, although I do expect to hear it on at least one watching of the show (if he's interested at all, a cousin would want to hear it in english, even if I keep the subtitles on the screen at the same time). I hope that the dub's good, but it won't affect me much. Most of the LE odds 'n' ends probably won't get too far from the packaging and might even get forgotten. Well, if the art's good, I suppose that I can pin a pillowcase to the wall...

Quote:
Black Lagoon is easily my most anticipated release of this year, and it's not just because of the series itself, whch was fantastic,

It was decently-animated, enjoyable, and something that will be buying (I just pre-ordered the v1/box, for whenever Geneon actually gets it out there).

Quote:
but because I think it has the opportunity to become absolutely Bebop-level huge if the dub is done right.

That might depend upon it getting on TV. It should definitely appeal to the basic Adult Swim crowd. BLagoon's got good art, animation, and action, but there's not a really strong plot. Maybe that's why it's in my 'like' category, rather than 'love it'. I don't know. ^_^;

Quote:
While all the anticipation and discussion over the Haruhi dub is certainly deserved, as it is also an incredible show, it has nowhere near the mainstream potential of Black Lagoon.

There's probably not too much to argue about there. I'm almost ready to say that it's a lowest-common-denominator case, but that's not quite right. It'll appeal to those looking for great action, and nothing else, but the show's not _that_ bad. There are some slow and contemplative moments to help expand the characters and give them a third dimension.

Quote:
While I love Haruhi and Mushishi, I know that a year from now, Black Lagoon and DEATH NOTE could be the next Cowboy Bebop and Trigun to the American anime fan. Don't screw this up, Geneon...

If Death Note were on this list, in the order of my preferences, it'd be near the bottom. I bought and read the first half-dozen volumes, and it fell off my must-buy list. I might flip through the more recent books in a book store, but I got bored by the repetitive story. I have no interest in the anime, and unless I hear that a lot has been changed, I'll probably ignore it (even if it shows up for free on TV).
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:40 pm Reply with quote
archangelunder7 wrote:

p.s. i don't get what it is with Haruhi either, i saw the first 2 episodes, and they were good, but i aint selling my first born child to get a free copy of vol 1 Razz

I've seen the first two episodes too and I was like "WTF?" The first episode was uh.. boring and pointless while the second one was better but still weird. I wanted to shoot that character in the first episode because her voice was so annoying. Maybe the series gets better but the first two episodes were different. I too do not get this anime.
archangelunder7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
well it'd have to huh, since no one would like it THIS much because of those two episodes (although, you never know). i'm going to get vol 1 (which is in broadcast order, so it may have different eps. on it) and just see if the first 4 eps. will grab my attention.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Rozen Maiden, definitely. I've got the first volume preordered already. Smile I will preorder Haruhi too, if DVD Pacific would get it up...
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:13 pm Reply with quote
mistress_reebi wrote:
Aw, no one wants Ayakashi to be released? I'm guessing it's more aimed for an older audience.

Count me in for one of the few. I've already seen The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Kurau: Phantom Memory, so it's the only title being released this year that I plan to collect which I haven't seen. Need something in the similar vein of Requiem from the Darkness, which is also another Geneon license.

tempest wrote:
... I only included titles with actual dates...

-t

Kurau: Phantom Memory volume one already has a release date and entry into the encyclopedia.

Steve Berry wrote:
That seems like an odd statement to make. I could see saying it has no central plot, or some such thing, but where's the deux ex machina??

I suppose one could say with the various acts of rescue and last minute shots and whatnot could be argued for such claims, though I'd categorize those with challenging suspension of disbelief myself, with all of the terminator-esque maids and killer lolis running about... Heh, mind you, I found Black Lagoon fun and its second season to be better than the first, though it didn't really do anything that I haven't seen in some Hollywood Summer Blockbuster or another.

I could see it really taking off on [adult swim] with a few edits; then again I'm still in the thought that RahXephon, Texhnolyze, and Gungrave (all fantastic English dubs) would also carry in some ratings for [adult swim], albeit the second one would probably only bring in Paranoia Agent numbers.

Ingraman wrote:
If Death Note were on this list, in the order of my preferences, it'd be near the bottom. I bought and read the first half-dozen volumes, and it fell off my must-buy list. I might flip through the more recent books in a book store, but I got bored by the repetitive story. I have no interest in the anime, and unless I hear that a lot has been changed, I'll probably ignore it (even if it shows up for free on TV).

The anime series is pretty much staying a faithful adaption to the manga and it looks to shape up that way for the remaining episodes yet to air, so I wouldn't recommend it if you didn't take to what you read of the manga.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad and Paprika are the only R1 series I'm anticipating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad and Paprika are the only R1 series I'm anticipating.

"Series" is probably not the right word with respect to 'Paprika,' but I still can't wait to see it on disc (or in a theater).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Kurau: Phantom Memory volume one already has a release date and entry into the encyclopedia.

Crud, that was on my original list... I must have messed up while I was sorting them.

-t
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

I think that Black Lagoon will sell well. If it ends up on CN, or some other easily accessed network, it should do very well. I plan to buy it, but I'm not that excited about it. It's an entertaining action show that doesn't require too much thought (but a heck of a lot more than fluff like Naruto)

Expect a whole shitload of edits if it airs on AS. The nudity, maybe some of the more violent scences, language, and perhaps time.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

I think that Black Lagoon will sell well. If it ends up on CN, or some other easily accessed network, it should do very well. I plan to buy it, but I'm not that excited about it. It's an entertaining action show that doesn't require too much thought (but a heck of a lot more than fluff like Naruto)

Expect a whole shitload of edits if it airs on AS. The nudity, maybe some of the more violent scences, language, and perhaps time.

Yeah, there'd definitely be edits made to the show. I'm not remembering the nudity, though, so there probably wasn't too much of it. Certain scenes in the twins' story would certainly be trimmed. I'm sure that someone would be concerned about the ?last? death in the series, too.

I'd watch it on CN initially, if only to see how much was removed (but only after rewatching the series beforehand, since I've obviously already forgotten some of the details).

Suzumiya Haruhi's not likely to get her show onto CN, though. It would probably bore their average viewer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4