• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Gets Anime Film Trilogy Adapting 'Infinity Castle' Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:35 am Reply with quote
What are people yapping here in the comment section? The last movie we got for Demon Slayer was the one between season 1 and season 2. Maybe y'all should check which season we are at now Laughing

Anyways, amazing news that we got a trilogy. Hopefully this means that the quality will be even better than what we got till now. The final episode was a perfect spot the end the season and I'm definitely looking forward to the last part of this series.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:43 am Reply with quote
Jay_Stone wrote:
What are people yapping here in the comment section? The last movie we got for Demon Slayer was the one between season 1 and season 2. Maybe y'all should check which season we are at now Laughing

Mugen Train is the only movie people have been talking about in this thread. Maybe read a conversation first before trying to dismiss the whole thing with a blanket term like "yapping". Rolling Eyes
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
I think a movie is probably the best decision for this series tbh. Most of my gripes with Demon Slayer's last 2 seasons was that some episodes felt so stretched out & had barely anything worth of note happening. I hope that turning this arc into a movie will make it more palatable to go through since its probably gonna be more condensed & more action-packed which is what most people wanted out of this series anyways.
Matros

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:09 am Reply with quote
Jay_Stone wrote:
Anyways, amazing news that we got a trilogy. Hopefully this means that the quality will be even better than what we got till now. The final episode was a perfect spot the end the season and I'm definitely looking forward to the last part of this series.

You live in some fantasy world. Mugen Train already felt and looked like a glorified TV episode of Demon Slayer, you won't suddenly get a Ghibli level movie production. Especially considering the fact that Ufotable mostly relies on the same animators.
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:52 am Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
You live in some fantasy world. Mugen Train already felt and looked like a glorified TV episode of Demon Slayer, you won't suddenly get a Ghibli level movie production. Especially considering the fact that Ufotable mostly relies on the same animators.

So your take is that there isn't a big difference between the tv show and the movies?
Another take could be that it is like that because the tv show's quality is already high as it is.

and comparing ufotable's demon slayer to Ghibli is completely unjustified.
Ghibli's movies are in a completely different art and animation style, demon slayer wouldn't even look the same anymore and I'd argue Ghibli's style does not fit the demon slayer's theme and type of show.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Wow, how are they going to get satisfying movie ending to 3 whole movies covering 1 arc?

Joke answer: They won't.

Maybe real answer: ...They won't.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can't think of another pop-culture franchise I've personally experienced that has been so massively overhyped compared to its (lack of) actual substance. The anime production team is so up its own butt with its own success that, as James said in his episode reviews, the show is bordering on self-parody now. "We're gonna stretch this finale out into three whole movies (plus another one or two probably) because lol it prints money!" The sad thing is that I'm sure the original manga was probably a much lower-key thing that didn't deserve to be saddled with all of this grandiose silliness. And I swear I'm not trying to be a hater here...I mean I legitimately enjoyed the first season (except for Zenitsu, of course), but after how overblown Mugen Train was, and now this, I just can't with it anymore.

And for the talk on how these movies will look amazing, did we watch the same Mugen Train? Because there was some shockingly bad CG work on display there. Like, all of that purple gunk on the train reminded me of nothing less than Ivan Ooze from the original Power Rangers movie, and if your record-smashing massive hit of an anime film brings to mind mid-90s CGI, that's not a great sign. If this is going to be three movies' worth of Muzan's Playhouse rendered as it was in the show proper, then it's apt to give me motion sickness more than anything else.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I've wondered for a while how Demon Slayer will be remembered in 10, 20, or 30 years. If you look at '90s Jump titles, Yu Yu Hakusho, Slam Dunk, and Hikaru no Go are still remembered as classics… but I half-expect people to look back from the 2030s and say, "Man, remember when the whole country was absolutely crazy about Kimetsu no Yaiba? That was weird, huh?"
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I've wondered for a while how Demon Slayer will be remembered in 10, 20, or 30 years. If you look at '90s Jump titles, Yu Yu Hakusho, Slam Dunk, and Hikaru no Go are still remembered as classics… but I half-expect people to look back from the 2030s and say, "Man, remember when the whole country was absolutely crazy about Kimetsu no Yaiba? That was weird, huh?"

At the very least I think that those future viewers will be incredibly confused about how Mugen Train smashed box-office records. "It's a mid-run arc adaptation of a shonen manga...why did everyone lose their minds over this?"
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I honestly can't think of another pop-culture franchise I've personally experienced that has been so massively overhyped compared to its (lack of) actual substance. The anime production team is so up its own butt with its own success that, as James said in his episode reviews, the show is bordering on self-parody now. "We're gonna stretch this finale out into three whole movies (plus another one or two probably) because lol it prints money!" The sad thing is that I'm sure the original manga was probably a much lower-key thing that didn't deserve to be saddled with all of this grandiose silliness. And I swear I'm not trying to be a hater here...I mean I legitimately enjoyed the first season (except for Zenitsu, of course), but after how overblown Mugen Train was, and now this, I just can't with it anymore.

And for the talk on how these movies will look amazing, did we watch the same Mugen Train? Because there was some shockingly bad CG work on display there. Like, all of that purple gunk on the train reminded me of nothing less than Ivan Ooze from the original Power Rangers movie, and if your record-smashing massive hit of an anime film brings to mind mid-90s CGI, that's not a great sign. If this is going to be three movies' worth of Muzan's Playhouse rendered as it was in the show proper, then it's apt to give me motion sickness more than anything else.

That James guy sounds pretty clueless.

Believe it or not doing 3 movies for the next arc is not stretching it. the mugen movie was faithfully adapted from the manga without stretching it, and it only covered 13 chapters from the manga.

The next arc is 44 chapters long in the manga. which means 3 movies will cover roughly ~ 14 chapters each, so about the same length mugen was.
If they weren't to do movies, they would have needed to do a 25 episode season, or 2 seasonal cours.
So sure, their choice to make 3 movies instead of a tv season is probably related to the desire to make more money, but they are not stretching the story.
KayWhy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:05 am Reply with quote
i dont think mugen train is a good reference for how these movies could look, since theyve continuously upped their standards since then
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4