• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sound! Euphonium 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:29 am Reply with quote
Final episode was FLAWLESS.

Had me in tears in places...

Eupho..GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:21 am Reply with quote
….and, in the end, who played the solo just wasn’t all that important, in the larger scheme of things.

Credits roll and, spoiler[wait, we don’t know what Kumiko is going to do after high school yet?] Be sure to watch after the end of the credits.

The credits are worth going through a couple of times, too. You can do a lot with montage.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
Only gripe I really have with the series is that it looked like the series brushed aside doing anything further with the Kumiko/ Shuichi relationship that got some focus in the Brand New Day film. I'm at least aware the anime chose to create more scenes devoted to Kumiko and Reina, alongside a couple other deviations between the anime and light novel. It doesn't hurt my overall impression of Sound Euphonium, as I still think well of the franchise being among KyoAni's better works. But it's still something I took notice of, especially as...

spoiler[Kumiko and Shuichi did eventually hook up in the light novels.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ktarf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
I'm honestly a bit disappointed in this finale and overall season. They focused too much on the Kuroe/Kumiko drama that involved a newly introduced transfer student I didn't really care about, taking away so much time that should've been dedicated to the characters we've known since the start who are now ending their journey. The deviation from the source material was definetly surprising and maybe realistic, but it did make Kumiko's whole journey less satisfying.

I also think this last episode is incredibly rushed with barely an epilogue; it should've been double length. We see absolutely nothing of the main characters post-high school life after Kumiko's indecisiveness was a central point this season. I did like Kumiko becoming a teacher, but I wanted to actually see her make the decision. And Shuichi has been reduced to absolutely nothing when one of the only good things the movie did was finally giving him some dignity, now wasted.

Overall I think seasons 1 and 2 are great, the spin-off movie is a masterpiece, but the sequel film is average at best and this season is just good, so not really KyoAni's best, but despite all my complaining I'll still remember and love this franchise.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Great show! I wouldn't say it's KyoAni's best, only in so far as the story and ensemble cast need to balance a lot versus tighter, more interesting stories with a focus on a smaller cast, and there's only so much drama you can wring out of a strict band setting, but this is likely the best there is, and it's been a very enjoyable series! My only thing is that I would've liked more insight into playing music and learning pieces and the picking of pieces, strategy and other considerations for band competitions, kind of like how sports shonen do it, so that we can learn more about the art and process, but that would've meant a longer show and they prioritized character instead.

Still, high scores from me! A very touching finale, and I'm glad that it wasn't stereotypical, balancing a loss of our two girls not being able to perform their solo together, and a win of gold ranking. The idea that sacrifices need to be made to achieve any high goal, but we all felt it and the tensions with them!

NStrike wrote:
Removed for endorsing heinous violence and death.

It's time to calm down. Prior to 'current day' internet mob threats and demands, the use of flamboyancy, melodrama, flowery descriptions and similar homoerotic sentimentalism has long historically been in use in novels, plays, and films, as schmaltzy shorthand to sell the audience on themes of deeply emotional connections and deeply felt ideals that are bringing two characters of the same sex closer together, or mutual admiration, or even competitive obsessions, envy and jealousy; and not to imply anything else. You might as well throw similar venom at the Tolkein estate and JRR for not "committing" to a relationship between Sam and Frodo that was never intended to exist. Nor is Black Butler guilty of anything other than simply depicting a demon's desire to devour a soul, seductively using others for one's ends, insanity, and a commitment to vengeance. These authors and creators don't have to apologize for anyone else's interpretative head-canon and none of these long-used storytelling methods needs to change for modern politics or sensibilities.
Netero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Only gripe I really have with the series is that it looked like the series brushed aside doing anything further with the Kumiko/ Shuichi relationship that got some focus in the Brand New Day film.

It's hinted at - the hair slide gift from Shuichi on Kumiko's folder during the post-credit sequence. But then, the picture on her desk has Reina in it and she talks about her in the voice-over. I think KyoAni just wanted a more open type of ending than the LNs.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
NStrike wrote:
Removed for endorsing heinous violence and death.

I just want it to be clear, I understand that my own notes were taken down because they were engaging with the notes calling for the things above. So there'd be no context to them sans the other person's notes. I want it on record, though, that my own comments in no way advocated violence on any level, much less heinous violence and death. I would never do such a thing, I am a freedom-first person and such a thing would be antithetical to me.
AmericanGiven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Cool anime.
jdnation wrote:
These authors and creators don't have to apologize for anyone else's interpretative head-canon and none of these long-used storytelling methods needs to change for modern politics or sensibilities.

You're telling us that yuri has no business being in the mainstream media. I guess you're right since yuri is a niche market that will never be a money maker in mainstream. Just look at the likes of Citrus, MagiRevo, and YagaKimi. All flops and never got season 2.

Seriously though, how would everyone react if Kumiko and Reina got together in the end? All those KumiRei fanworks must have rubbed on the author. Hell, she has been getting into yuri lately and even tweeted a photo of yuri manga she bought. Perhaps it's a foreshadowing of things to come. She may have a change of heart and we will see Kumiko and Reina yuri happen someday.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:35 pm Reply with quote
mynamemine wrote:
The yuri bait was 100% inserted by KyoAni and is completely absent from the original work. KyoAni didn't want another Piano No Mori, Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life or Blue Orchestra, to list 3 obscure competitive classical music anime adaptations (the latter so much so that it didn't even get an international streaming deal because the streamers knew that no one would watch it). They wanted a hit. So they took Sound Euphonium and added K-On elements to it: moe CGDCT which almost always includes yuri hinting.

Well considering that the first season of Sound! Euphonium (2015) was released years before Piano No Mori TV (2018), Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life (2019) and Blue Orchestra (2023), they could not possibly have factored into KyoAni's decision to add yuri elements to boost sales. Smile
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I missed the significance of the hair clip on the notebook there at the end.

Kumiko-sensei was doing a pretty good Taki-sensei imitation, there.

It’s probably best that Reina is an ocean away, and doesn’t have to fret about all the Kumiko/Taki quality time that happens in the teacher’s lounge.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Strongly seconding mynamemine's response to AmericanGiven above. AG, do you really think grossly mischaracterizing people's statements is helping your cause at all? No one has said anything even remotely like what like you suggest. You do realize people can actually read their comments, right? Because you're making yourself look pretty silly with that nonsense. If you wish to address their actual points, though, feel free.

Like this: I disagree with mynamemine here:

Quote:
So Reina goes from being a minor character in the source materials to being a romantic figure for Kumiko.

Again, Reina was never a romantic figure for Kumiko. That's just some people's headcanon, which is fine as long as you don't try to force the actual show to conform to it. The two just had a flirty way of interacting. The show has always been entirely clear that Reina has set her sights on Taki.

Again, this wasn't subtext, it was text, a state of affairs referenced again and again and again throughout all three seasons of the series. Indeed, Reina's inability to accept anyone even criticizing Taki was strong enough that it nearly wrecked her relationship with her best friend. Just because people choose to ignore what was plainly presented to us does not give them the right to cast vile aspersions at the people behind the show.

Look, everyone has the right to enjoy something or not. We all have a right to patronize something or not. No one has the right, though, to demand that any particular work conform to their wishes. That's not how artistic expression works.
DolFun The Dolphin Vtuber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Gold! they have us the perfect ending.
I really enjoyed the music they played during the competition.
I thought all 3 seasons were really good. I am glad all their hard work paid off in the end.
It was also nice to see Kumiko teach at the school at the end.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Again, Reina was never a romantic figure for Kumiko. That's just some people's headcanon, which is fine as long as you don't try to force the actual show to conform to it. The two just had a flirty way of interacting. The show has always been entirely clear that Reina has set her sights on Taki....

For a while, I was thinking I was the only one here that watched what the show portrayed rather that the wishful thinking of those who wanted Kumiko and Reina to date and eventually marry. (N.b., yuri does not offend me, but I do not wear "yuri goggles" either.)
mynamemine wrote:

The yuri bait was 100% inserted by KyoAni and is completely absent from the original work.
KyoAni didn't want another Piano No Mori, Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life or Blue Orchestra, to list 3 obscure competitive classical music anime adaptations (the latter so much so that it didn't even get an international streaming deal because the streamers knew that no one would watch it).

Hey, stop calling me a no one! Wink Smile

I "sailed the seven seas" to watch Season 1 of Ao no Orchestra (Blue Orchestra), rated it Very Good, and plan to watch Season 2 when it comes out.

mynamemine wrote:

So Reina goes from being a minor character in the source materials to being a romantic figure for Kumiko. KyoAni accomplished this by taking nearly Shuichi's entire role - except of course for his immature, petulant behavior that made him look bad - and adding it to Reina. This transformed Shuichi from an important and sympathetic secondary character to a minor one that everyone hates and took what was a much less significant Reina and made her into effectively the co-lead.

I envision an OVA where there is a reunion of the more prominent 3rd year members of the Kitauji High School Concert Band and at breakfast they are drinking from milk cartons that have a picture of Shuuichi Tsukamoto on them with the words "Have You Seen Me?" below.
AmericanGiven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:27 am Reply with quote
mynamemine wrote:
Or - again - that confirmed romantic relationships are rare in moe CGDCT shows. Again compare to the moe CGDCT standard K-On? K-On had PLENTY of so-called yuri bait ... and not a single actual romantic relationship.

That's not how yuribait works. Yuribait is that classic bait-and-switch lesbian trope where one of the "lesbians" has a male love interest or at least shippable with a male character. Hibike Euphonium is the queen of yuribaiting but there's Little Witch Academia that's a close second to it. Despite the massive Akko x Diana popularity (due to their hatesex-esque tsundere dynamic), the TV anime director chose to give Akko a male love interest because he didn't want it to be yuri-friendly. Heck, a Trigger PR guy actually came to 4chan and flat out denied Akko x Diana and said "do whatever you want" before the TV anime aired. This obviously did not sit well with Diakko shippers and yuri fans in general. Trigger did the "open for interpretation" thing way before Hibike and Gundam Witch did. Ironically, the TV staff were not fans of the director's planned het romance plot, so they dropped it, made the boys irrelevant and shilled a Diakko scene in the climax. Akko's VA even did damage control, saying that she prefers Akko being with either Diana or Ursula instead.

Speaking of Gundam Witch, it's a very rare yuribait anime where yuri actually won in the end. It's just a shame that it had a slow and painful process of confirmation months after the anime ended thanks to Japan's own modern sensibilities. Bandai Namco with their infamous "open for interpretation" meme and later the director 100% confirmed that Suletta and Miorine are indeed married. Maybe the Hibike author may have been inspired by that to change the anime ending a bit, considering that she's been getting into yuri lately. She even has another anime coming up next year which may not be very much yuribait this time around. I wouldn't be surprised if she returns to Hibike and give it a KumiRei ending.

Other yuribaits exist like Cross Ange, Lycoris Recoil, Gridman, Kill la Kill, Two Car, Love Lab, Amanchu, and so on. Yuribait was a thing way before Hibike was born. Idolmaster did that and its fellow self-insert series like Uma Musume and most recently Blue Archive followed suit. No matter how flirty the girls can be to each other or how much the description label them as liking girls, they will always be for the male self-insert. And how can we forget certain harem series like Infinite Stratos and yuri spinoffs like Railgun? The point about yuribait here is not just about romantic relationships but fandom shipping as well, which is most of you don't get at all. These people invested into their yuri ships only to get swerved with sudden or hidden het. Especially when they didn't check the source material first. I honestly can't blame them because yuri is still a very small and overlooked genre.

If you think yuribait is applicable to CGDCT simply because of the yuri subtext and even without male love interests, then Love Live!, arguably the CGDCT franchise with the biggest yuri fandom ever, would have put Hibike! Euphonium to deep shame. At least unlike all the yuribaits that I mentioned, Love Live never has that toxic "yuri vs het" shipping war in its fan community. Funnily enough, Love Live was meant to be another Idolmaster clone early on but then it went with that het-free yuri-friendly direction that K-On! did. Even if their ships didn't become canon, they were cool with it because their ships never sank, something that Hibike actually did with KumiRei in both the novel and anime. Not to mention that LL made its own trend of multimedia idol girls franchises without the self-insert guy/het thing, like Bang Dream, Shoujo Revue, and D4DJ, the latter having a canon yuri couple. Just imagine if Euphonium was more like Love Live and its contemporaries, we could have had a much more peaceful fandom.

You may as well put some Manga Time Kirara anime in the same league as Hibike; K-On and Bocchi the Rock being two of them. Or those recent anime originals like Do It Yourself, Girls Band Cry, Jellyfish, and possibly those two upcoming PA Works anime this summer. I have already said enough and I apologize for being off-topic and putting all these anime over Hibike. But unlike Hibike, they were simple never designed to have het (or at the very least, have it as a major plot device) from the beginning and thus, they can't be labeled as yuribaits. Quite frankly, I would rather have them because they are more *ahem* straight-forward with their intentions instead of being up for interpretation.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sound! Euphonium might just be Kyoto Animation's finest work.

Yeah, no. I wouldn't call Sound Euphonium KyoAni's finest work, especially not while people are still arguing over whether or not Sound Euphonium is Yuri-bait, three seasons in. Also, Nichijou still exists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5