• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hana to Yume Magazine Lists New Anime for Natsuki Takaya's Fruits Basket Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I'll admit I'm kinda hoping for a recast, which is the norm when a series this high-profile gets an outright reboot. Not out of dislike for the original cast (who I simultaneously adore as performers but hardly remember in those roles), but because I think there are a number of newer/younger seiyuu in the industry who could do really well with it.

According to this old post from Justin, this was one of the things that Takaya butted heads with Daichi over with the original because she was said to had wanted an established cast while he didn't.

I'll be surprised if that changes for this since most of the old cast is still around.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:18 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I wonder why people keep assuming that Funimation will be dubbing the new version?

...You were saying??
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-19/funimation-reveals-cast-staff-streaming-for-new-2019-fruits-basket-tv-anime/.139680

NJ_ wrote:

According to this old post from Justin, this was one of the things that Takaya butted heads with Daichi over with the original because she was said to had wanted an established cast while he didn't.

I'll be surprised if that changes for this since most of the old cast is still around.

This is so ironic in retrospect. "No more Fruits Basket anime", Sevakis says. Yet there's one right around the corner due to be out in 2019. The irony couldn't be more real in this. Also, the old JP cast has been axed, but there's no reason to assume that the dub will follow the same fate because the Eng department operates on things differently.

Also, Sevakis is wrong about Daichi's alleged refusal to cast established seiyu. Even someone that doesn't watch anime in JP knows that Yui Horie, Aya Hisakawa, Tomokazu Seki, Ryotaro Okiayu, etc. have been in a lot of other stuff that isn't Fruits Basket. Takaya may have disliked the original JP cast since she didn't even get to approve them, but to suggest that the cast wasn't comprised of established seiyu is definitely baloney.

Last edited by Inverti Herikawa on Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:31 am Reply with quote
@Inverti Herikawa

Your guess turned out to be correct. Congratulations.

As to Justin's comment. That was eight years ago, and even then he indicated things could change. It is not really that ironic.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Inverti Herikawa

Your guess turned out to be correct. Congratulations.

Oh, shucks. It's just a simple educated guess based on licensing patterns I've observed over the years, that's all.

Alan45 wrote:

As to Justin's comment. That was eight years ago, and even then he indicated things could change. It is not really that ironic.

Honestly, I've never liked the way Sevakis phrased that comment. I'm going to post it here so that everyone else could see it:
Justin Sevakis wrote:

It's long enough ago now that I can say this: The reason there will never be any more Fruits Basket anime is because Akitaroh Daichi and Natsuki Takaya drove each other crazy. Daichi hates the things she insisted on (the voice cast, for example... he hates established seiyuu and never uses them for main roles if he has a choice), and she doesn't like the anime and has a lot of nit-picks (like, she never told them that Kyo's bracelet is supposed to be white and red, not white and black) but probably more accurately just hates Daichi's trademark spastic comedic streak that's so prominent in the show. It's my understanding that neither one remembers the experience fondly, and so I doubt either one is up to trying again years later.

So yeah, no more Fruits Basket anime. But hey, with the economy, who knows. People get desperate.

This implies that a new Fruits Basket anime would only get made out of desperation. How insulting. Guess Sevakis has gotta eat his words now. Sevakis may have more knowledge than the average anime consumer, but I can't be the only person that's irritated with his constant blanket statements.

The new FB anime got greenlit because Takaya doesn't have to deal with Daichi anymore. No manga artist would get so petty to the point that they'd reject any and all directors just because they had a bad experience with one of them in the past.

I just find it funny that Sevakis honestly thinks he could be the spokesperson of the JP side of things, when he's only looking at it on a surface level. Ultimately, the manga author could always change their mind later down the road. And Takaya did. So there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4