• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:55 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
My main gripe with this series it's Crunchyroll's fault. Their visual qualify has been suffering lately. I don't know if they just dropped in qualify or if their source is garbage but in nearly every scene there's very noticeable "color banding" issues and related artifacts. Every of their shows has this issue but this one it's by far the most noticeable and very distracting. And before anyone blames it being on my end, I checked it on multiple TVs, multiple devices (TV, phone, 3 different monitors on my computer, 3 different computers) and confirmed the issue is Crunchyroll's video quality. I took a few screenshots but I won't waste space sharing here in case no one cares. If by chance anyone does care, I can PM some examples where it was especially bad. Usually it's the cockpit scenes where it's disgustingly noticeable but Leonard's mech also exhibited major artifacting in the dark areas of the mech.

Or perhaps you could post some links to pics? I have not noticed the effect you're describing, so I'm definitely interested in seeing some screeenshots which highlight the issue.

WatcherZer wrote:
Now that you mention it I can see it, concentric colour banding radiating out from the centre of the image, most noticeable at the edges of the screen. Its too much a perfect circle to be rendering artefact so must be compression is reducing quality the further from the centre of the image. If it was monitor banding it would be horizontal across the screen rather than circular and adjusting your viewing height would vary it which it isn't doing.

What resolution are you watching at? I haven't noticed any issues on Roku at all, other than with my internet router needing to be rebooted so the stream doesn't keep buffering. (Which happens on other sources as well, including things I've RECORDED using the Playon software and are technically local, so it's really a problem with the local router, not anything else... I think the beast is on its last legs... I'm in line to get a new provider soon, when they finish putting in their optical cables in my neighborhood... but that won't happen for a while. Sad )

I loved the first dub episode! Great to hear the old cast again!

As for looking forward... it's gonna be a bumpy ride!
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
This episode gave me... feelings... AL!!!!!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Finally caught up with this and my thoughts are as thus: HO. LY. CRA~~~~~~~~~~~P. We're only in episode 4. I figured the series would skew grimmer considering how TSR was, but I'm starting to think XEBEC took cues from the John Wick films with how many people Sousuke is knocking off. We're only just getting warmed up and already the body count is in the double digits, which gets higher if you include civilians.

Anyway, a stellar return from a great series. It's almost like FMP has come to say "Daddy's back." to all the other light novel adaptations.

klv wrote:
This episode gave me... feelings... AL!!!!!

I hear ya, that was a draining episode. If Leonard doesn't top the Scumbags of 2018 list I will be shocked.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote
An episode without Kaname and Tessa, an it turns out to be really enjoyable. FMP IV really knows what it is doing, and it continues to easily be my favorite show of the season. I am eager to find out what happens next.
Slashman

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Thanks for explaining the cruise ship, I was thinking there was a plot point about it being taken over. The reason I said the Mechs are distracting, is because whenever they are on-screen, except for maybe when they are not moving, you can't help but notice them. I really wish i could contact the director and ask him nicely if they could go back to using 2D Mechs next season.

You might have some issues to work through. The CG mechs were fine. You might need to fix you...
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh crap, it's Benny from Black Lagoon. Like, seriously, that's straight up just Benny without a ponytail.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Oh crap, it's Benny from Black Lagoon. Like, seriously, that's straight up just Benny without a ponytail.

LIKE HELL!!!

even without the ponytail, that girl is anything BUT a clone of BL's Benny!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Well that certainly wasn't a reaction I expected to that comment. oO

But yeah, that's Benny, he's just traded his computer for a camera. He's even wearing the same color scheme of pinkish shirt with green leaves. Smile
anddo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Huge Black Lagoon feel from this episode. I love FMP.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Did not expect such a jarring change of scenery. With Mithril in disarray Sousuke is REALLY having to go through the grimier parts of society (the second I saw Lemon I thought Benny had come in from Black Lagoon). And after three episodes of intense, nonstop action there was a need for a breather.

Anyway, hopefully we can get back to the main action while bringing the new guys along for the ride.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I don’t think I’ve ever seen an OP and ED for an anime to have official English versions sung by the same original Japanese singer played in the show’s runtime before. I wonder if this could set a precedent for the future. The singing in this version is very Engrish-sounding, but it does the job well enough. Episode 6 was quite eventful and things look to be ramping up again for next week. Nami is a pretty fun character to watch, but Kaname will always be best girl in this franchise and I’m curious to see what exactly has Amalgam been forcing her to do while Sousuke attempts to find and rescue her.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The first half or so chronicles how Nami's team starts achieving success thanks to her piloting skills

Wait what?

I really hope there's more to Sosuke plan cause otherwise it's hard to believe that even him wouldn't realize he would be recognized very quickly (hell he even paint his mech the same color as arbalest).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Things are definitely moving at a swift pace. The current status quo is something other shows would spend half a season on, but FMP is blazing through it, getting things back to the main story thread ASAP. I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the next episode we jump straight into the next arc.

One thing of note is that it feels like we're missing a sense of absence (ironically) with Kaname. We get a hint of Sousuke feeling a void in his life, but nothing as major as you'd expect. Part of it might just be his training and him being so determined to find her that he doesn't afford himself to feel that way, but we also don't see much inside Sousuke, instead having Nami and Lemon as the audience surrogates.
tsNirvash

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
pwnagemaster wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm guessing, hoping, that from the picture of them next to a cruise ship, that this will contain a lot indoor action scenes? Because those CG Mechs are distractingly bad, and having to see them and the car non-stop would be painful.

I'm still not sure why they keep using he cruise ship pic for FMP!IV. The cruise ship arc was covered in book 6, and this season is starting with book 7. As much as I loved that arc, it's much more light-hearted than the rest of the series from here on out, and I guess they were worried that that would give the audience the wrong impression.
To answer your question, no, there won't be many indoor scenes.

I think the decision to skip DMVC was made so that they could fit the rest of FMP into 2 cours (yes I'm still holding out for 24 episodes) without having to make any significant deviations from the source material. I went back and checked FMP! and TSR, and when you cut out all the episodes based on the short stories or anime original material it takes 4-5 episodes to cover each volume/arc. There are currently 6 volumes left (including IV's current arc) and if Xebec plans on giving each volume 4 episodes then that gives us exactly 24 episodes.

I like DVMC, but its easily the least important volume out of the ones that haven't been adapted yet, and does very little to advance the story. Shoji Gatoh said that DVMC was meant to keep fans occupied while he figured out how to advance the main story.

I was worried that 12 episodes wouldn't be enough to satisfactorily conclude the series.

Based on the market scene in episode 6, I think that Amalgam is flooding the market with AS parts. I noted that the red and white AS in the opening looks like someone used spare (or scavenged) Venom parts to repair the Arbalest. I'm not sure which person or group will do the repairs, but the availability of affordable AS parts will probably help.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Rather than needing to check in with Kaname, I'm feeling like they need to get back to the Mithril crew before their fate turns into an info dump of "how we spent our summer vacation."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9