• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 90% of Crunchyroll Users Identify as Gamers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Not really. Statistically, 10k is more than enough of a sample size for this. Just a few hundred would've actually been fine. Unless they totally screwed up on their polling demographic distribution, and I really doubt they did, this should pretty accurately reflect their entire user base.

That's only ten percent of their paid subscribers... and even less indicative of their overall number of subscribers (.08%!). I don't think that's a fair enough assessment of what their users identify as... (then again, it's no more flawed than a political poll supposedly speaking for "most of the country")

No, really. That is not how statistics work. With properly distributed surveys, you can extrapolate almost anything from just a few hundred people. Getting 10k people for this was incredibly unnecessary, even. They could have gotten accurate information with just a single hundred participants.

TheAncientOne wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:

8 hours of sleep and 8 hours of work leaves 8 hours of free time a day, 16 on the weekend. That's about 72 hours of free time a week. 20 hours a week is pretty low, to be honest. Technically more for me since I watch stuff at work when its slow and have nothing to do.

Unless you either work from home or teleport to work and back and get a paid lunch, work is going to take more than 8 hours out of your day. For myself, it is a bit over 10.

Yeah, I work about 11 hours per day, 6 days a week, including commute. Add an additional hour for off-work food(the reason I'm able to keep up with anime is because I watch it while eating, most of the time), two hours for social/familial obligations, and an hour for other random things, like running errands. That's 15 hours right there. Then I have one hour, during which I could either play a game for 45 minutes and barely have time to enjoy it and get emotionally invested, or I could watch some more anime. Most of the time I choose anime because by that point I'm too exhausted to put that much effort into a game.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
No, really. That is not how statistics work. With properly distributed surveys, you can extrapolate almost anything from just a few hundred people. Getting 10k people for this was incredibly unnecessary, even. They could have gotten accurate information with just a single hundred participants.
This infographic reeks to high heaven of nonresponse bias. The canonical example is how the Literary Digest once declared Alf Landon would win ~370-161 based on no less than 2.3 million questionnaires returned to them; instead he got trashed by FDR 523-8. I highly doubt that Crunchyroll's poll was much more rigorous than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4