• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Sudden Rise of Fanservice Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, this subject again.

The outrage people will force is astounding sometimes. Look, if it's silly, don't buy it and support games more in line with your morals. Don't tell other people they can't buy it. That's censorship.

Now as a personal example, I don't have games just for fanservice. I got Dragons Crown because I was a big fan of the D&D brawlers back in the day, and liked the reprise. Most of the excessive fan service was laughed off (we joked the game was a D&D game ran by a Dungeon Master who was a huge perv.). But if you listened to these people, I couldn't play it at all. And that is not fair. Some people think yaoi is disgusting, what would you say if BL visual novels suffered a backlash and crackdown? You'd be mad. As you should be!

Support companies who make items in line with your ideas and beliefs. Don't tell other people they can't play what hey want. Because sooner or later someone will do it to you.

Last edited by Beatdigga on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

Not going to deny that characters like him are the minority, but if game devs have to think about every gamers' sexuality and appeal to them, then the game just ends up being an agenda-filled husk. Games are meant to entertain and entertainment is usually escapist. Most gamers don't want reality being shoved down their throats either.
I don't want the reality of a world where everyone is straight unless proven otherwise to be shoven down my throat, too.

That actually reminds me of the point I was originally going to make before I jumped into the fanservice bit; I do think that as mainstream gaming gets more and more inclusive, it makes sense that games with, er, traditional(?) conventions--games that are more like Duke Nukem than Life is Strange--will eventually go the way of action movies. No one goes to an action movie expecting diversity or a deep plot, and so while you might occasionally get a pleasant surprise like Fury Road, generally you know to adjust your expectations for what you're gonna' get.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
There's always going to be a space for a conventional action movie, as well as ones that play with the genre. When it's forced upon people (Ghostbusters 2016) it bombs. Same thing here. Make more IP's. Broaden the genres. Add, don't take away.
thenix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I see a lot of hate for fan service heavy games, and it's fine, you can hate them if you want. That doesn't necessarily mean that if they hate the game they also hate everyone that plays them etc. But it easy to start seeing some of the hate turn into inferences of hating the people that play the games, or hating the people that make the games. The world simply works like this: someone wants to make a game, they make it based on whatever criteria they want, they release the game, people play or don't play it. You or I don't get to sit on a forum and tell people they need to stop making this game or start making that game and poof it comes true. We can influence it by putting our money into it (or not) but unless you get into the industry and make your own games we don't have much influence. Since that is the reality, coming onto forums and demanding games be made this way or that isn't going to do anything so why bother? Digressing though it's fine to discuss why you like or dislike something, but you should also understand that your opinion is but 1 of thousands on this forum and it's importance is equal to everyone elses, not more or less.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Add, don't take away.

Seconded. Support and promote the games you like, and if it is profitable, more will be made.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
There's always going to be a space for a conventional action movie, as well as ones that play with the genre. When it's forced upon people (Ghostbusters 2016) it bombs. Same thing here. Make more IP's. Broaden the genres. Add, don't take away.

I completely agree with this post and Beatdigga's prior post on this subject. I *loathe* censorship. Yes, I don't like Yaoi and sure as heck don't want to see any of it. But I'd never demand that a game not have it, remove it, or obscure it. If a game has content that I don't want, then I'll either just deal with it, or not buy it.

Unfortunately, you have... a certain group of warriors that feel the need to dictate to others what they can see (and do and say). These people launch campaigns, both social and political, attempting to get their way and force their beliefs upon everyone, because they feel as if they have some sort of moral high ground on the matter. And then, when those who dislike being dictated to become upset, these people say that they are "haters" or "x-phobic", and otherwise try to shame and demonize them to shut them up and get them to accept these "progressive" beliefs.

The ironic thing is that many of these people used to look down on gamers, geeks, nerds, and the like. Back in the day, we were the social dregs, mocked and abused because we liked sitting around playing D&D, or spending all day trying to beat a level in some "silly" video game. We'll die virgins, they said. We are always so socially awkward and creepy, we were told. But, thankfully, these people have descended to us from on high, and are now showing us the error of our ways, often claiming to be serious gamers and acting like they're our best pals who are only trying to help us rise above our backwards ways. We should be thankful to them and not resisting their well-intentioned efforts!

Anyway, I've gotten off track here. I don't know where this "rise of fanservice" is coming from, because I'm not seeing it. I do understand that companies often care for nothing but profit, and so are trying to make their games more profitable by trying to appeal to a more "mainstream" audience. I doubt that most "mainstream" people care all that much about video games, or will spend money on them routinely over time. They may dabble in them now and then, and have a system for when the urge strikes, but they're not very committed to video games and probably never will be. In other words, there's a diminishing returns thing that kicks in once you aim for a "mainstream" audience, and if you push too hard in an attempt to appeal to it, you're going to lose your serious gamer audience: either they'll become mainstream, too, or they'll find something else to do with their time, and in either case they'll be spending less money and have less interest in buying games. That would lead to a decline in the number of serious gamers, but maybe that's what some people want.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

Not going to deny that characters like him are the minority, but if game devs have to think about every gamers' sexuality and appeal to them, then the game just ends up being an agenda-filled husk. Games are meant to entertain and entertainment is usually escapist. Most gamers don't want reality being shoved down their throats either.
I don't want the reality of a world where everyone is straight unless proven otherwise to be shoven down my throat, too.

It's not, unless you regard common perceptions to be cool-aid propaganda. Should the industry go the way of the tumblr and make the assumption that every character is a pansexual, fifth-gender snowflake? Screw that noise. Stop adding perceived social discrimination when it isn't even there.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
In Yuri on Ice, however, the characters are all meant to be sexy, both in-universe and without, (flirtatious winks and seductive smiles galore, not to mention a strong attention to the lines and form of the body) which is why it's a better example of manservice with intent than the aforementioned game characters.
The topic is fanservice in games and you keep bringing up this irrelevant sports anime as if it were a valid example.

belvadeer wrote:
The game does have females in it though. It's not strictly "man country", otherwise Luna, Cindy, Iris and Aranea would have gotten no screentime at all (and the latter two wouldn't have been guest party members).
Nobody bought the game day one and played it for over 80 hours because of some minor female characters, though.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
The topic is fanservice in games and you keep bringing up this irrelevant sports anime as if it were a valid example.

It's a well-known and valid example of manservice though. Games don't have much of that, so it's the easiest example to point to. Maybe Drammatical Murder and some gay-oriented BDSM games might apply, but I haven't personally played those.

EDIT: How could I forget! Dorian's sex scene from Dragon Age: Inquisition. You get to see him in all his (back-facing) naked glory. There, one game example. Wink
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly certain you see way more Geralt than you do Dorian, so now I'm confused once again.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Nobody bought the game day one and played it for over 80 hours because of some minor female characters, though.

I know. They bought it because they were waiting for a new FF that was in development limbo for little over a decade.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm fairly certain you see way more Geralt than you do Dorian, so now I'm confused once again.

I'd have to double-check to be sure about the amount of nudity shown, as well as what kind, but I'd be hard pressed to assert that Geralt, as the player's character, is meant to be seen in the same light as your chosen romantic partner Dorian.

Again, is the character flexing/flaunting for us? In Dorian's case, yes. You picked him, you're meant to see him in a romantic light, he is implicitly posing for your benefit. For Geralt it's a maybe; can you see Geralt as sexy? Sure, but are you meant to?
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:

It sounds like you want media to provide an escapism from real life for you, because in reality, less than 2% of the population is gay. Expecting companies to pander to 2% of the market instead of 98% of the market is illogical, and no sane company would ever do such a thing. If one of those 2% happen to attain a creative position and make a gay hero, then great. Good on them for achieving that. But the kind of people who complain every-time a straight character is made and push for a 50/50 ratio of gay/trans/whatever in media to straight characters basically want to create a scenario that has never existed

Beatdigga wrote:

Star Wars didn't bomb, but then again you can do anything with Star Wars and it'll still sell. Usually companies do the bait-and-switch with male-to-minorities because it has a higher chance of not eating dirt as an original IP would. See: comic books replacing heroes with minority versions rather than making new characters.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
It sounds like you want media to provide an escapism from real life for you, because in reality, less than 2% of the population is gay. Expecting companies to pander to 2% of the market instead of 98% of the market is illogical, and no sane company would ever do such a thing. If one of those 2% happen to attain a creative position and make a gay hero, then great. Good on them for achieving that.

I find it absolutely hysterical that you seem to think that only gay people want to see gay characters in fiction, especially on an anime board. Do you think that Sakura Trick was made for lesbian audiences?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I think Sakura Trick (the anime at least) was a financial failure so it seems like it didn't have much of any support, be it gay or straight fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8