• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Manga Artists Prefer To Stay Anonymous?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
Quite a ways removed from Rob Liefeld in a Levi's commercial.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:37 am Reply with quote
In response to my question
animalia555 wrote:
Because everyone, in Japan anyways, was expecting Buso Renkin to be another Rurouni Kenshin and was disappointed when it couldn't live up to the same impossible standards that Kenshin set. If Watsuki had used a different name it might have been judged on its own merits and therefore lasted longer then 9-10 volumes

OK, that makes sense.
Thank you for the explanation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

I was thinking about a same comparison; I learned the faces of Stan Lee and Steve Dikto long before the face of the Green Goblin.

Ironic, considering that Steve Ditko doesn't allow to be fotographed and is rarely if ever interviewed.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
For a western example of why someone might not want their name published, or why they might regret doing so:
George R.R. Martin got tons of letters from fans who were/are afraid that he'd die before finishing A Song Of Ice And Fire (ala Robert Jordan) to the point where he got fed up with it and posted a video of him flipping them off.
On a more professional note Imagine having every work you create judged not by its own merits but by the merits of what you did before. Apparently J.K. Rowling still publishes new works sometime. But she publishes them under a pseudonym to prevent them from being compared with Harry Potter against which they would undoubtedly fall short.

This, this, A THOUSAND TIMES this!
I feel like we've become so entitled to creators' identities in the West and obsessed with judging the person, rather than a work itself.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
tentensan wrote:
I could see why some mangakas would want to keep their identity hidden. I would hate to see one of my favorite authors bugged from a fan of their works. I do have a question though, isn't this also evident in the idol industry? The idol duo Claris never show their face, and their voices are amazing! However, from that point of view, I can see why. Idol fans are super scary. Shocked

Yeah, like the guy who took out a blade during a Hyperdimenson event.
animalia555

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:09 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
animalia555 wrote:
For a western example of why someone might not want their name published, or why they might regret doing so:
George R.R. Martin got tons of letters from fans who were/are afraid that he'd die before finishing A Song Of Ice And Fire (ala Robert Jordan) to the point where he got fed up with it and posted a video of him flipping them off.
On a more professional note Imagine having every work you create judged not by its own merits but by the merits of what you did before. Apparently J.K. Rowling still publishes new works sometime. But she publishes them under a pseudonym to prevent them from being compared with Harry Potter against which they would undoubtedly fall short.

This, this, A THOUSAND TIMES this!
I feel like we've become so entitled to creators' identities in the West and obsessed with judging the person, rather than a work itself.

On the Martin note I'm worried about it myself but I can easily see how it could get annoying.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
Sparvid wrote:
That's something I've wondered about doujinshi. Do doujinshi artists mostly sell their own products at places like Comiket, or do they hire people / ask friends to help out to do the actual selling at their booths?

I'm not sure but it appears to be a culture of meeting the artists at events like M3 ( http://www.m3net.jp ) to the extent that I was able to get my CD purchase autographed by Eiko Shimamiya, known for the Higurashi OP and teaching other I've Sound singers like Mami Kawada.

Eiko Shimamiya in the middle from her twitter account:

Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
It's funny that he would mention Shirow, because that's the first name that comes to mind. Yeah for years and years, as a fan of Shirow when Appleseed was first introduced to the West back in the late 80's (released by Studio Proteus). I believed that Masamune Shirow was his "real name". When a late friend told me that it wasn't his real name I was shocked. I had never thought of Japanese artist having pen names. I think Frederick Schodt or Torren Smith may have seen him. But for years being a fan of his work I had hoped that one day I would get the chance of meeting him as he was a big inspiration to me back in the mid to late 80's. Maybe I'll request seeing him before the end of life.

But I remember in the bio 'A Drifting Life' by Yoshihiro Tatsumi he also went through that deal of having to change his name when he worked with different publishers. Hell, Kia Asamiya and Kikuchi Michitaka are practically the same person. If you got to Studio Tron and check both names it's the same work. It makes you scratch your head. But Shirow it's like NO ONE has seen him, but I could have sworn he did attend a con many years ago.
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
In this crazy anonymity world called the internet why wouldn't you want to be mysterious? Fans plus the internet is one of the worst possible combinations I can imagine. Dan Slott (writer of Spider-man) got constant death threats when he killed Peter Parker (only for him to return the next year...comic fans should have really saw that coming). If you're work is particularly great, then you'll have some sort of crazy fanbase. Take Naruto. That's huge in the States, and a lot of them are Naruto purists that don't watch other anime, say Naruto is the best thing ever, and when they really don't like something that happens in the story they really go after it. If I were in an author's shoes when an angry fan riot happens, I'd feel more like Frankenstein's monster being burned by torches.

Also, not a lot of these authors would even have time to have a public image. The manga industry is infamous for their strict work ethic on delivering at least twenty pages per week. Artists get sick, sleep deprived, or worse. If you're fighting all that then you don't have time to be more public with your fans. Heck, I've read numerous times that manga creators didn't know how popular their work was in the West until later, because they're just spending all their time doing chapters.
toyNN

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Well I just learned Masamune Shirow is a pen name...
Quote:
Some of them occasionally depict themselves in silly cartoon form

Makes me immediately think of Gintama's mangaka Hideaki Sorachi who as far was we know is a caricature of a hairy-ape.

Being a public figure seems kind of horrible so I don't blame them for keeping private.
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those America vs Japan differences where Americans think their way makes you more "free" to "be yourself" or whatever, but really, it's the opposite.
In America, you have the "freedom" (really, the obligation) to "express yourself" and be "honest" about how you really feel about everything... but having a different opinion from your group of friends still has consequences... so the result is that people are more "open" and "honest," but they get to be that way by conforming their thoughts to those of their friends. So you might have a few groups of friends with different ideas - let's say, they have ideas 2, 4, and 6. In Japan, a few groups of friends would all be saying ideas 3, 4, and 5... but the individuals in the group have ideas anywhere between 1-10, they just keep them to themselves. But then, when they make art, those ideas can come through in the art and be expressed more clearly.
The American groups in the example wouldn't allow themselves to even think that far, because if you think it, you have to "be yourself" and tell your friends about it, and you know they'd judge you. But your friends are the "nice," "accepting" ones, because they "accept you for who you are" already, so if they would judge you for this, it must really be bad. So it's best not to question it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
EU Comic artist aren´t rock stars either (do they even make money?) and the only active US writers that regularity get (inter)national attention are Alan Moore, Grant Morrison (my favorite author), Neil Gaiman, Mark Millar, Frank Miller and Robert Kirkman. Only Frank draws (Morrison sadly never publishes his drawn scripts) and A-list artists as Jim Lee and co. are only known to somewhat serious fans.
I can´t think of any other and i could drop at least 100 US/UK comic creators at the drop of a hat, so this isn´t a Japanese phenomenon. Like at all! A lot of creators further like to let their art speak for itself... Nothing wrong with that and a lot of "reclusive" mangaka aren´t actually all that hard to track down.
The last Miura photo is a decade old (it´s with a female fan) but he still gives interviews and even Steve Ditko can still be reached. You know, the objectionist co-creator of Spider-man.
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2015/06/eight-year-old-comic-fan-writes-steve-ditko-a-letter-and-heres-how-ditko-responded/ Watch In Search of Steve Ditko to see how actual recessivity looks like and the mystery around Ohba Tsugumi seems like a well calculated stunt.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed May 04, 2016 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned WataMote (a.k.a. No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular) creator duo "Nico Tanigawa" before. A photo has surfaced showing the male (author) half of the duo, although he's hiding his face the old fashioned way.

From what I understand, the woman in the photo isn't the artist. One of the other people in the photo is the editor (of their other manga Number Girl).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The nail that sticks up gets hammered down - Ancient Japanese proverb
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite stories involves Hidekaz Himaruya, creator of Hetalia. This past winter he made an appearance at comiket and released a PC game. To hide his identity, he brought several people to staff the table with him and when someone asked which one Himaruya was, they'd ALL say they were Himaruya. An entire table of Himaruyas, and there's no way to know which one is the genuine article. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5