• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Arrested for Uploading The Seven Deadly Sins Manga to Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaddy_Pl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
]So you're saying you wouldn't buy a book or whatever at a store before reading it?
This hardly hurts the manga industry in Japan, probably hurts it A LOT in the West, yes, very likely, but not in Japan.

Well, I will not buy DVD, BD with episodes of series, withoud watching few episodes of it.
I will not buy a book withoud reading recomendation.

And who will give me recomendation about new series if there will be no scans? Readers from Japan?

Quicke example: Nisekoi. At first it look like nice. Fires few volumes looks like a solid story with humor, and then we got a tons of fillers, and no trace of actual plot. I would waste money on it withoud scans.

Another example: How manga publisher know what will sell good, what is popular? They follow the internet, forums. Withoud scans they will not know what is popullar, and many good, not know series will stay in Japan.

I would pay 1$ per month to read chapters of FT. But crunchyroll gives it only to UK and Ireland in Europe. You know that there are other countries too, like Poland, Germany, France, Slovakia, Austria, Norway, Espania?

Why I can watch anime on CR, but can't read manga? Why can't I support publisher in other way than only buying volumes?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:

Currently it's listed as US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.

Funny enough, there are illegal ways to pay to subscribe for the mobile app outside of those listed countries. So you gain some ethics points for supporting the legal English release, then lose some points because how you're paying is technically fraud or something.

So the publisher makes no effort to make their stuff available to me legally, so I have to go out of my way to find an illegal way to give them my money? Not a chance.

Some mangas I follow have recently been licensed in my country and I'm buying those, but it'll take years for them to catch up with Japan (for example, Bleach is in its volume 6 right now, while Fairy Tail is in vol. 14), not to mention those are just a couple out of all the manga I follow. I read the entirety of Bakuman on scanlation and now that it finally got licensed here, I'm buying it too. But I won't stop reading scanlations so far as the publishers don't make any attempts to make their stuff available to me sooner. If other series I follow like NanaTai, Magi and HQ get licensed I'll buy them, I'm just arguing that it's absurd to say there is no reason to read scanlations when WSJ is not available in 90% of the world, and that's not even mentioning all the other magazines that are pretty much not available anywhere.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Who's got the license from Shueisha for which series and for what specifically in your country? Sometimes English WSJ would be intruding on some other licensee's contract with Shueisha.
By the way, I hope that you put some effort into researching the answer to the question before charging someone else with a lack of effort.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The publisher that's bringing Shueisha stuff over is Panini, which has a long record in Europe but only got into the manga business in my country two years ago. Not to mention how WSJ has never been published here in any format, being digital simulpub or the physical version, the only way to get that one was importing it from the US when it still existed. I don't know how simulpub works as far as the company's side of things, but the point is that the stuff has never been available legally, so I'm not gonna go out of my way and find complicated illegal ways to throw money in the face of companies that aren't making their stuff available for me. I'll buy what they give me, but I'm not going to wait 5+ years to catch up with the current chapters
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
They need more publishers if they are going to start cracking down on scans, or rolling them into services like Crunchy Roll. What's happening now is essentially how the music industry was in the late 90's early 2000s.

They need to figure it out a way to bring people in now and make it readily available or else they will just throw a way a lot of money on expensive trails and chasing down the people who provide scans.
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Hope that means I'll now have a legal avenue for buying/reading Silver Spoon.

No it won't. Of course not.
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
{First of all, you're over-quoting; second of all, you're serial posting; and, third of all, you're repeating yourself. ~nobahn}
huh thus very scary who did this ?
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I read manga scan sites because:

1. There are plenty of great series out there that I have no other legal means of reading them in English. Liar Game is one of my favorite manga, but no one has licensed it yet and it doesn't have an anime either. Whenever there is a survey from VIZ, Yen Press, or whoever, I always include it and several other series when asked "Are there any series you'd like to see licensed in the US?" I'm trying to get my favorite series over here, but lesser known manga really have no chance of ever coming over here.

2. There have a been a few series i've read online first, then bought later on. Blind buying manga can be a little bit more a risk than anime. 10+ volumes at $7-$8 is a lot more than $30-$40 (even less if it's on sale) 12 episode anime. I don't want to waste my money and shelf shape on a series that sounds good, but turns out to be awful.

3. Not every series currently publishing in Japan is simul-pubbed in English. I try to be pretty active and involved in my favorite series online. But if I hate to wait for English the catch up, i'd to avoid these places like a plaque to not get spoiled. Not just from others who read scan sites, but just one person who lives in Japan that gets the magazine and posts something can spoil things. I'd rather avoid though, so reading new chapters each week online is mandatory.

And everyone claiming how the manga market fell off in 2006: it's not like there was a major economic crisis around that time or anything...
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the fence with many of these legal / illegal issues of manga and anime.

Yes, Piracy is wrong. But it's an odd kind of piracy, because like said previously, illegal scanlations and illegal sub groups really have opened up a larger population that Japan has been slow to embrace. We get to read manga or watch anime that never have a chance to be seen in the West due to legalities. Like the Macross series due to Harmony Gold's iron clutches on the license. Or mangas that can't be published due to censorship laws. So in that respect, piracy has been good for the industry.

But are they really losing money? Not really because even today, the majority of their income comes from Japan, while some additional income comes from the heavily popular titles that made it to the West like Naruto and Dragonball. Now if these titles were worldwide, then I would be inclined to say illegal piracy would hurt then. But since it's focused on Japan, it depends how many Japanese use illegal anime and manga.

All I can say to the Anime and Manga Publishers, open up your doors. Open up all of your titles online, and allow them to be downloaded at an affordable cost. I bet they would sell more legal anime if they didn't have to buy $50 or $100 Box Sets for a few discs. Especially with titles long forgotten.

This would be a boon for creators, because it could give them a second chance as their titles are rediscovered and earn real money once again.
Nacirema

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
All I can say to the Anime and Manga Publishers, open up your doors. Open up all of your titles online, and allow them to be downloaded at an affordable cost. I bet they would sell more legal anime if they didn't have to buy $50 or $100 Box Sets for a few discs. Especially with titles long forgotten.

This would be a boon for creators, because it could give them a second chance as their titles are rediscovered and earn real money once again.

Crunchyroll's is doing that by putting the Discotek's shows in their catalog. Also Hulu have a large catalog of anime as well. Anime is being put into legal streaming sites. Unfortunately for every anime released legally and put on legal streaming, there pretty much a massive amount of piracy sites also putting the video up. Thousands of piracy sites links get removed from Google each week and the anime being pirated are licensed shows that Funimation and Viz put up on Hulu.
https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/copyright/owners/36818/VIZ-Media-LLC/
https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/copyright/owners/23229/FUNimation-Entertainment/

Last edited by Nacirema on Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
Nacirema wrote:
Quote:

Crunchyroll's is doing that by putting the Discotek's shows in their catalog. Also Hulu have a large catalog of anime as well. Anime is being put into legal streaming sites. Unfortunately for every anime released legally and put on legal streaming, there pretty much a massive amount of piracy sites also putting the video up. Thousands of piracy sites links get removed from Google each week and the anime being pirated are licensed shows that Funimation and Viz put up on Hulu.
https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/copyright/owners/36818/VIZ-Media-LLC/
https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/copyright/owners/23229/FUNimation-Entertainment/
Huh Hulu sucks they have nothing for \Canada so will watch Piracy and one of those anime sites on that list is back
Shaddy_Pl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
It's easy way to make manga legal, and giving publishers a lot of many.
1: Create site like Crunchyroll, but with manga from all publishers like VIZ, Kodansha, YenPress etc., available for every country
2: Each chapter of new manga will cost $0,50, and after 7 days it's free to read.
3: Each user have an account, he send his money (no less than $1) and every time he/she open new chapter, that he didn't read, site took from account $0,50.
4: You can also pay $7 per month if you read a lot.

All chapters are released the same day in Japan and there.

Example:
500 000 peoples read Fairy Tail and Nanatsu no Taizai
each week, Kodansha earn $500 000

Something like that works for music, wher you can buy only one song, not whole album

Something like that wors for books, wher you can read one chapter, not the whole book, and you can even print that chapter.

Why can't something like that works for manga? Why only peoples of few countries can legally read new chapters of manga?

Peoples will pay to read manga in good quality, with professional translation and editing. That would lower amout of scanlation at about 40-50%. You don't need to do a lot, because Kodansha, Yenpress and Viz already did that, but only for US, Canada and UK.
Yunmeng

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
I love how everyone is either justifying pirating or giving a condescending attitude towards pirating.

Lets not go around the bush, if its free most people would rather pick the free one.

I know a few people that would just give up on manga and go to something else if there is no free option. Manga isn't important to them and without pirating they wouldn't have bought those "cool anime merchandise".

My personal opinion on this is that illegal/free/pirated manga is too ingrained into the international anime/manga scene for it to go away.
Shaddy_Pl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
Yunmeng wrote:
I love how everyone is either justifying pirating or giving a condescending attitude towards pirating.

Peoples not justyfying pirating. They just show that for many, scans are the only way to read manga.

Legal chapters that are released simultaneously are available in 5 maybe 6 countries. What about other?

Yenpress want for one chapter $2, that a 1/3 price of whole volume.

Many publishers in many countries just started publishing some titles, and they will release actualn chapteres in about few years. So peopleas that read simultaneously scans should stop reading (for example One Piece) and wait about 6-10 years, and read next chapters when their publisher release it in volumes?

Show me just one way, other than moving to US or learning Japan, to read actualn chapters legally.

Fighting with piracy liks like that: "You can't post scans. We don't give you legal way. You just can't"
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:19 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I wonder why I've never cared about reading the newest chapter for manga ASAP. Seems that some fan out there have to have the chapter, and will go the scanlation route if need be. I'm happy getting my manga in volumes (I also only read in print, so there's that too).

Though, for comics, I always have to get the monthly issues. Can't switch over to trades. I'm surprised that being as up to date as possible hasn't seeped into my manga reading. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5