• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Perfect Insider

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
I totally have to disagree with this review for episode 6. I found this episode to be very useful for getting all the facts together without all the different examination perspectives and superfluously pretentious (at times) language. Getting the facts, as is, in a series that seems to pride itself on decorated philosophical ramblings, was a nice change of pace. To be honest, when I watched the episode, the word "recap" never crossed my mind. The episode, as another commenter pointed out, stylistically fits the tone of a Japanese mystery novel; and this anime, as all adaption are, is first and for most an advertisement for the source material (and subsequent merchandise), which just so happens to be a Japanese mystery novel, haha. Furthermore, I don't think that the reveals were unexciting either; maybe the reviewer was just bored and angry (obviously) by the time he watched them. Seeing the murder full out was a nice change from the implied violence of the later murders, and revealed a pretty key piece of information. Reviewing, however, is subjective is it not? Lol.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Nick. We're 6 episodes in. I didn't need a recap, even if it was done far better than most recaps I've seen, and even if it's standard for Japanese mystery novels. I was bored until the end.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I kind of get why it's going recap. It's more like saying. Ok viewers watching week to week, here's a refresher of all the clues so you can try to figure out the mystery before the finale.

Although just because you can understand the choice doesn't mean you have to like the choice.

Admittedly the meaning of "everything becomes f" is a little disappointing.

The show is still competent enough for me to keep watching though. I find it weird that I don't hate this show as much as other people do. Reminds me of Terror in Resonance in that way.
Daerian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
phoenix7240 wrote:

It is probably more along the lines of the Head writer, for the anime adaptation, has no idea how modern academic work is done. Not only did the drama adaptation get it right with flying colors (and had better pacing as it did 10 episodes with 1 hour each with 2 episodes per book vs this series only covering 1 book), but the author of the books Mori Hiroshi was an assistant professor of architecture before he started writing.

This is possible, I didn't read books. Anime seem to really consider such environment as perfect for academic work at face value, which could have been tongue in check in original novels.
You are also right about pacing, it's really bad. Show is pretty much standing in place, afraid to take any step forward as this risk getting to the end of story too fast. However, that snail pace is killing it.

Agent355 wrote:
I like the theory that she raised a kid in there, and would even bet that some of the people in the lab knew and aren't telling (especially the guy who tried to bribe Sohei)

If they didn't know the entire theory is impossible in any way. Even if they knew, I pretty much don't see a way it could have been done without totally killing any suspension of disbelief.

Genos wrote:
I totally have to disagree with this review for episode 6. I found this episode to be very useful for getting all the facts together without all the different examination perspectives and superfluously pretentious (at times) language

Personally, I have almost fall asleep with this recap, especially because there weren't anything that really required recaping. With snail pace of story and all clues hitting you with big bat with words "Notice me!" this episode only highlighted how slowly we are getting into story and how few information have been given to that point.

Additionally, I went back and checked episode 3, where security videos were first viewed. They didn't show that B2->R change, which is just lazy and makes it impossible for viewers to try and piece answers before characters. It wasn't possible to show in books without alarming us before - but would be a perfect change for anime adaptation and series lost this chance.

At this moment, Rokka was few times better crime fiction than this anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
Additionally, I went back and checked episode 3, where security videos were first viewed. They didn't show that B2->R change, which is just lazy and makes it impossible for viewers to try and piece answers before characters.

Not only that, but they missed their chance during the "live" version in episode 2, where it's still shown at B2 a moment before the system reset with Shiki halfway down the corridor.

Furthermore, the way it was shown in episode 6 is not how elevators work. There is a level 1 between level B2 and R, and Moe even points this out, but in the video, the indicator, which displays where the elevator is, not where it's going, jumps from B2 to R without passing the first floor (when the guard comes down from the roof to tell them the Director is dead, we do see the proper sequence of 1 -> B2). Smile So this is either animators not paying attention more than once or a hint that the record was tampered with (poorly) between the actual event and the second viewing.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I think the pacing on this series would feel a lot better if we were binge watching the completed show instead of watching a week at a time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Interesting episode. One thing I was thinking during the English conversation was that if this gets a dub, that's going to be really hard to match the lip flaps (which here aren't just flaps but lip formations to match the English) and still sound like natural English speech, at least for Miki. Souhei's speech can still be slowly and carefully articulated, but Miki may sound as odd in native English as she does in Engrish. They might have to tweak her dialog a bit to get it to work.

Nick wrote:
...pinned butterflies and stuffed animals, an all-encompassing monument to vibrant living things trapped dead under glass.

Then is this the giraffe on his table? Wink
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
If she can only speak english, why not hire an english voice actress? They must exist in japan...
Daerian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
If she can only speak english, why not hire an english voice actress? They must exist in japan...

Some series get good english speakers, but you demand far too much from this pile of pseudo-intellectual garbage.
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Good lord was that english scene pain inducing. Not just the performance but the writing.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
One thing I was thinking during the English conversation was that if this gets a dub, that's going to be really hard to match the lip flaps (which here aren't just flaps but lip formations to match the English) and still sound like natural English speech, at least for Miki. Souhei's speech can still be slowly and carefully articulated, but Miki may sound as odd in native English as she does in Engrish. They might have to tweak her dialog a bit to get it to work.

I really wish they had just done that scene in Japanese instead. Both voice actors sound like they're trying too hard to pronounce each word properly instead of emoting, as if they're attending an English class. I'm not even a native English speaker, and yet I can't help getting distracted by how they keep emphasizing the wrong words while speaking very slowly.

It's almost as bad as that scene at the beginning of Evangelion 2.22 where Kaji is speaking English so terribly that I can't even pay attention to what he's saying, which makes me want to switch temporarily to the English dub.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I really wish they had just done that scene in Japanese instead. Both voice actors sound like they're trying too hard to pronounce each word properly instead of emoting, as if they're attending an English class. I'm not even a native English speaker, and yet I can't help getting distracted by how they keep emphasizing the wrong words while speaking very slowly.

Yes yes yes! I can't help but think that of all people, voice actors should be aware that there are rhythms and tonal arcs particular to every language, much like there are to different kinds of music. Pronunciation is less important that catching that melody if you want to sound authentic.

I really enjoyed this episode and thought it the best yet. There seemed to be a lot of gems offered to the viewers.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else notice the door at the end of the flashback in episode 7?

spoiler[Because it looks like the door in the lab, and thus the murder happened in the lab, possibly even in her room]
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
So how many books are in the series anyway. it is quite obvious that each of these books probably can't really support such a long running time adaptation at this point. but I seriously question if a movie running is really enough time.
Also I think that it is probably better to have the characters have more depth even if they aren't the most appealing or are rather obtuse characters.
scineram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Just want to drop in to put in my theory that she may have been pregnant. It fits into her father saying that he won't let her do something, that there may have been someone else with her the entire time, and why the parents of the hypothetical child may have been killed. Even fitting the ideas of a person, like her having a twin as a child that made up a missing part, where the child might also be considered the same person but different body, thus why more was written on the computer for after she was dead.

Magata's corpse creepily appearing was a magic trick to divert attention while the 15/14 year old escaped.

Yes. I figured that out after episode 3, and everything we have seen since then only confirmed my suspition. Especially the bloody plush animal that was once removed from the room was a huge red flag. Since then the only question were the actual details of the jailbreak, but there has also been some progress on that, altough the reveal with the elevator was done really badly as others pointed out.
As for the theory that some of the staff also knew about the kid I don't remember any indication of that. This enviroment is perfect for keeping it a secret, where Shiki could do whatever she wanted.

I wonder if it's a boy or a girl. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8