• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's With The Bootlegs On Amazon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:25 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
And this did more harm than good. The fact you can still find bootlegs on Amazon shows that this policy didn't work like they thought it would. Hell a while back one of those bootleg Ghibli sets was in the top 100 DVD anime sellers on Amazon earlier this year... All this mainly ended up doing was it got rid of so many legitimate listings, and some things became impossible to purchase on the marketplace. This is why you don't see anyone really selling say When They Cry on the Amazon Marketplace anymore, because the people with the sets are unable to.

Was this that set that, for about US$50, contained like three movies per DVD and had a really extensive collection, but the picture quality was in the toilet?

Someone I know got that off a DVD rack at a seedy-looking merchandise store..
It's the set that's the thumbnail for this article. It's like the most common Ghibli bootleg box set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:12 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I've even seen merchandise that does not exist normally for some shows that are bootleg only (most commonly figurines and plushes).

That's really the only kind of bootleg I'd be interested in. There are a lot of niche series that I like that don't really have figurines, so if on of a favorite character appears, boy am I going to be tempted. (And by niche, I mean non-ecchi, non-shonen, and not a big seller. Like Oda Nobuna, for instance.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, sometimes I do get the urge to get some of them too. The bootleg-only things I find most often are plushes of Pokémon Nintendo never released officially as plushes or never released in larger sizes.

There's a strange intersection between never-released-officially bootlegs and high-quality bootlegs too, something that I noticed last year at Anime Expo: There were a lot of vendors selling bootleg plushes of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic characters. You can tell they're bootleg because the tags simply have a zoomed in group picture with the gamma turned up too high and the brightness turned down too low, with no logo, no copyright, and no manufacturer. But they had plushes of characters neither Hasbro, Ty, nor Aurora had released as plushes (and looking at what was available, the bootleggers were well in tune with the fans), and the ones that they had released, they were of better quality than the Hasbro and Ty ones (there's no beating Aurora though).

It's pretty sad, if you ask me, when bootleggers make a better product than an official manufacturer.

enurtsol wrote:
4K UHD TVs can now be had for the same prices back during that holiday season when everyone went out and replaced their big fat heavy analog CRTs with even bigger but thinner digital LCDs. But of course now people are used to LCD LED TVs at commodity prices, while there's not as much lifestyle difference as there was when upgrading from CRTs to LCDs.

Yeah, and the main TV we have in our house, and the only one that goes all the way up to 1080p, we got in 2010 because the CRT it replaced had broken. Similarly, I don't think we'll be upgrading until this current one breaks either.

And in this house, there is also a TV that only goes up to 720p as well as at least four still working CRTs. My Xbox 360 is hooked up to a fully-operational Trinitron from 1978, when TVs still had wood finishes and dials.

garrisonaw wrote:
It's like finding a video on YouTube that says "HD", and finding out that it's a 240p video that some jackass re-encoded as 720p.

I don't think there's much malice there as much as ignorance. When YouTube introduced the 16:9 aspect ratio player, you had people stretching their 4:3 videos with the YouTube stretch tags, and so many viewers did not notice that the video had been stretched. During this time, a few people had suggested to me to stretch out all of my 4:3 videos, one of them convinced that "magic will happen." He thought that the stretch tag, well, magically fills in the pillarboxes at the side of the video player.

Similarly, videos in 240p scaled up to 720p are, I'd bet, done by people who don't notice any difference in resolution, or psychosomatically see a difference that isn't there. Either way, they probably think that increasing the resolution, again, magically increases the picture quality of the video, as if it were shot in 720p to begin with. The idea that the original material has to be at least that resolution never occurs to them, or it confuses them.

ShanaFan852 wrote:
It's the set that's the thumbnail for this article. It's like the most common Ghibli bootleg box set.

Ah, that! I don't know why I didn't look there. We got that one too. Nobody liked watching any of the movies on the set. The quality was terrible.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
An interesting thought about merchandise: When an IP becomes public domain (with that same IP becoming public domain from both copyright and trademarks), then you might not have to necessarily worry about bootleg/pirated merchandise.

However, as long an IP continues to be trademarked and copyrighted (specifically, I look at Sherlock Holmes having almost 130 years in IP through copyright and trademark), then this is an issue. The above point is a reason why I am a firm advocate of shortening copyright and trade-mark lifespans.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
The main reason I got a 1080 TV was because my monitor's 1680x1050 and I figured that, since I was getting a TV, I should getting something that could do better than that. Probably the most useful feature left is 600Hz.

For those who don't get why a ridiculous refresh rate is useful, it's because all the common framerates scale to it evenly, so there's no telecining required. Some simple math:
24 = 2*2*2*3
25 = 5*5
50 = 2*5*5
60 = 2*2*3*5

600 = 2*2*2*3*5*5

The real question, of course, is when people start filming in 4K 600 FPS. It'd be almost like you're there peeking in through a window watching people have sex.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Even if that happens, the simple truth is that even pirates will shun 4k anime releases since most people can no longer see the difference, the same most people cannot hear the difference brought by 24/32 bit 48/96 khz audio files.
That hasn't stopped groups from releasing bloated 24-bit FLACebo audio tracks, and downloaders have even been willing to DL straight unencoded Blu-Ray remuxes that come out to 6-7 GB per episode. However, you may be right overall; judging by a certain 4K test clip out there that's 1.92 GB for 72 seconds of video without sound, 4K content could range from 30-40 GB per episode. A 26-episode series could be close to 1 TB, so maybe we won't see that much 4K pirated anime until petabyte drives become common.

BlueBrain wrote:
LOL at paying for anime

These companies have been ripping off consumers for 20 years. Overpriced DVD's 30 dollars for 3 episodes. Then came thinpaks, which removed ALL the extras. I've bought over 400 anime DVD's between 2000 and 2010 then they started this Season 1 Part 1 crap and I just gave up.

Never support fascist monopolies [
Because 13 episodes for $60 in 2015 dollars is somehow worse than $30 for 3 episodes in 2000 dollars? Adjusted for inflation, that's a 66% price decline! And those extras-stripping thinpacks were a short-lived trend at one company, not an industry-wide thing.

Quote:
OR, and this is purely conjecture, they might inquire if Funimation might be for sale. Depending on how much they offer, upper management could get positively frothy at the possibility!
Surely this isn't a sly reference to the involvement of Rick "frothy mix" Santorum at Funimation's associated wholesome Christian studio, Echolight...?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
That hasn't stopped groups from releasing bloated 24-bit FLACebo audio tracks, and downloaders have even been willing to DL straight unencoded Blu-Ray remuxes that come out to 6-7 GB per episode.

Nevertheless this on the rare side of the spectrum, you won't see thousand (or even a hundread) of seeders for those, so at present time it is nothing to for sony, warner or universal to loss sleep over. BTW, those blu-rays are raws, not unencoded since they use h264 (or mpg2 when they want to bloat the file size) at generous bit rates. Truly unencoded video (or even audio) it is a bloat only film/music studios can cope with.

Quote:
However, you may be right overall; judging by a certain 4K test clip out there that's 1.92 GB for 72 seconds of video without sound, 4K content could range from 30-40 GB per episode. A 26-episode series could be close to 1 TB, so maybe we won't see that much 4K pirated anime until petabyte drives become common.

I think those numbers are way exaggerated. 4k is merely 4.26 bigger than 1080p and we have yet to take into consideration the size decrease h265 (not yet widely used) will grant over h264. The real bottleneck is how bandwidth caps many users have to deal with in the USA and Canada *waves unthrottled/uncapped 3rd world internet connection* Twisted Evil
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
@ Zalis116:

I remember seeing that test clip and a bit of searching later I found it. Turns out it's from way back in 2011.
Torrent description wrote:
This is a 4K (4096x2304) test sequence, intended to test extreme decoding conditions. Your computer may be able to run Crysis, but can it run this?

Specs:
4096x2304 resolution, upscaled from a Blu-ray source, with added 4K grain
~223 Mbps 10-bit H.264 video
Runtime 1:12 (1 minute 12 seconds)
File size 1.92 GB (2 062 942 258 bytes)

Note: There's no sound in this test file.

Recommended to be decoded with LAV Filters. Not recommended to be used with ffdshow-tryouts and madVR, as both will guarantee failure.[emphasis in original]
Since my computer's about that vintage with the exception of having a newer (~$80)GPU and recently doubling the RAM(two more matching the original sticks), challenge accepted.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
One thing that Amazon changed recently is that it no longer allows individuals to list items on the marketplace.

I used to be an Amazon seller to try to thin out my substantial (legit) anime collection. Once Amazon changed its policies, I needed to fork over $40/month to continue to sell (along with a token gesture of telling them how I avoided bootlegs).

That $40 fee made it impossible for me to continue selling there, since I was just trying to clear out closet space. Someone with actual inventory (like bootleg resellers...) aren't quite so deterred, and the process to get around Amazon's screening is simple.
Apashi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The worst bootlegs on Amazon are the stolen fanarts. This infuriates me as an artist. I actually follow a few artists on pixiv that have their work unquestionably being sold without permission. Unfortunately none of them speak English so they never responded when I contacted them about the issue. I've seen the same problem on Ebay. People don't even realize it's bootleg because the fanart is so good. But somewhere, a good artist is being taken advantage of.
PS: Side-story, I once saw a totally unsuspecting Digimon fan selling back a stolen fanart poster he had purchased a few years before.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
[…]Orion Pictures distributed for Streamline Pictures. (Those didn't work out so well, but that's a story for another day.)

Actually, Fred Patten has recently told that story—see:

• Patten, Fred (May 10, 2015). "Streamline Pictures – Part 4". Cartoon Research. Funny Animals and More (column).
• Patten, Fred (May 17, 2015). "Streamline Pictures – Part 5". Cartoon Research. Funny Animals and More (column).

MetalUpa1014 wrote:

I intend to go through that thread ("Spotting Bootlegs") and add the worthwhile links, but here is my own collection: "Anti-bootleg resources for anime, manga, and related goods". Any comments or corrections would be appreciated.
Estelle the White Mage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
I've bought quite a bit of "bootleg" wall scrolls off of Amazon over the course of several years.

Mostly because it's cheaper. A much wider selection of scroll types, sizes, and characters for a much lower price than those "1/X limited edition" scrolls that were made when the show aired.

I like my scrolls to have a particular design, which includes most if not all the main characters shown on it, along with the anime logo.
The bootleg Amazon goods seem to have a lot of just that, and within my budget.

Know that there is always a reason for why people resort to bootleg copies. It would be naïve to think that every bootleg copy be purged, then everyone would be happy to purchase the limited content at a much higher price. Wondering why all the content would require you to take out a small loan....
Max465

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
When has CR ever gotten the home video version of anything, even for subscribers? (Aside from some older shows like Queen's Blade sublicensed through R1 distributors.) Funi's streams suffer the same thing sometimes, as well. For example, anyone wishing to legitimately watch We Without Wings subbed would have to buy the discs; Funi's streams only have the censored/broadcast version, even for subscribers.

In CR's defense they simulcast the majority of their shows. They get the Broadcast version because that's all that exists when they aquire the rights. And on that note, they only aquire the rights to stream a show, so they don't really have the means to aquire the home video versions down the road.

Discussions would probably go something like

CR: "Can we stream the home video version?"
Owner: "Will you Pay us more money"
CR: "No."
Owner: "Then No"

Funimation on the other hand. It would be nice if they would update their simulcasted shows (We Without Wings was actually one of their first if I recall) with the home video version for subscribers once they aquire it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4