• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Furious 7's James Wan in Talks to Direct Live-Action Robotech

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:

It's going to be Top Gun in Space, which would probably actually be pretty cool.

Wasn't that essentially what Wing Commander was?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
And the whole pop music and culture messing with aliens. That would be laughed out of every theatre in the Western world.
That plot's done somewhat frequently; bringing in the music aspect would be the tricky part.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Wasn't that essentially what Wing Commander was?

Aw, you had to go and make the "It'll probably look like Wing Commander" joke first, I was going to! Sad
lazydude500

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Wan, what you did with the Fast & Furious franchise is awesome and I really enjoyed your work, with the exception of Saw of course but I really highly doubt that the live action Robotech will ever get off the bridge.

To be accurate Justin Lin should be given the full credit for the success of directing the later portion of the franchise. Wan only directed Furious 7 and kind of piggybacked off the established success and story of 4, 5 and 6.

As for any Robotech live-action film it probably won't happen.

Either

A. It gets made but is crap because of dumb writers want to be original and sh*tting over the original source material and it probably doesn't get the budget it deserves and needs

or

B. Stays in development hell like almost all anime to live-action projects
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Looks like FOX is desperate to get sued first. The premise of the ID 4 sequel is totally 'inspired by' Macross.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
There's really not too much you can do with Independence Day in terms of a sequel - I was rather flabbergasted when I saw they were planning to(and worse yet, it's the "film two and three at the same time" nonsense). But that plot summary sounds like it has about as much place in Independence Day as time to think about how the hell a Mac can give an alien mothership a virus.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Come on now. The aliens didn't just appear out of nothing.

They came from some where. That means there are going to be scouts to find out what happened to their invasion fleet. There may even be forward bases in the outer planets of the Solar System.

Earth will discover where the aliens come from and possibly where their home systems are located by rooting through all the dead mother ships and interrogation of captured crew and soldiers.

The aliens cannot afford to stop now. They have to finish the job, before the humans can go and visit them.

So there is plenty of reason and plenty of material to base any sequel or sequels off of.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Looks like FOX is desperate to get sued first. The premise of the ID 4 sequel is totally 'inspired by' Macross.

Nonsense. ID4 was setup for sequelitis. It's just that the occasion for other episodes never materialised. Just think how the film ends man. See that giant flying saucer crashed over Area 51 ? Crashed and burned in part but not completely destroyed. There is your entry point into the eventual sequel/s.

As for being Macross inspired, unless we have transformable single seater F-14s and idols singing to bring peace and culture to the heathens yeah I'm not worried at all. Wink
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
So there is plenty of reason and plenty of material to base any sequel or sequels off of.

Although the main reason is that Roland Emmerich now can't get elected dogcatcher in Hollywood anymore after that loopy Shakespeare movie, and now he's forced to do his old fairground acts.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Inspired does not equal being able to successfully sue another company.
There are also plenty of transforming vehicles out there both anime and live action that you would have to get ultra specific to the Macross show itself, to have any sort of case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4