• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime About Women in Sports

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
I'd be very surprised if a sports anime was successful in America,the lovely ladies not withstanding. I was surprised by the fact that "Kaliedo Star" was included on this list. This was set in the world of acrobatics. It may have had some similarities to sports anime,but it was more a show biz type of affair,a lot like the old tv series "Fame" in the 1980's. What I really liked about "Kaliedo Star" was it treated it's American cast fairly. There were both good Americans and bad Americans. There was a balance and wasn't as disdainful of an American audience as other anime have been.
If they come up with a sports anime that'll sell well in both Japan and the U.S. will be a big surprise to me. A lot of them seem as dull as dishwater. If they came make them a little more exciting,that'll be a giant surprise to me.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'd be very surprised if a sports anime was successful in America,the lovely ladies not withstanding. I was surprised by the fact that "Kaliedo Star" was included on this list. This was set in the world of acrobatics. It may have had some similarities to sports anime,but it was more a show biz type of affair,a lot like the old tv series "Fame" in the 1980's. What I really liked about "Kaliedo Star" was it treated it's American cast fairly. There were both good Americans and bad Americans. There was a balance and wasn't as disdainful of an American audience as other anime have been.

Probably because it was partially funded by ADV.

Quote:
If they come up with a sports anime that'll sell well in both Japan and the U.S. will be a big surprise to me. A lot of them seem as dull as dishwater. If they came make them a little more exciting,that'll be a giant surprise to me.

Do you like Shonen Jump type anime? Because sports anime and all those fighting/battle tournament style SHonen Jump shows are essentially the same thing.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I was about to say Princess Nine. I'm surprised no mention of Metal Fighter Miku.

I have seen a little of Kaleido star, but that was when ADV's NTUSA was around and you could sample a few episodes of a show with the free pack in DVD.

One day we may see 'Aim for the Ace' on DVD.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

I think so too. It's a pretty short series so there's not a huge commitment needed. I could definitely see Discotek or Nozomi taking a flier on it. Only strike against it is that it's, well, a sports anime.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

I think so too. It's a pretty short series so there's not a huge commitment needed. I could definitely see Discotek or Nozomi taking a flier on it. Only strike against it is that it's, well, a sports anime.

I agree. But y'know something I think some of us have now grown to actually sit and watch these things now. We got folks that watch Gundam every time one appears. I've only managed to watch 'Z' and trust me I had no interest in that. Now that I got it out of my system I don't care to see another Gundam show. But look at all the shows we have today. The one other factor you also might want to consider is that it's an older series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4