• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Wild Force Actor Ricardo Medina, Jr. Arrested for Murder

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geowrian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
IGN has now reported on this. So the news of his arrest is spreading really quick.

Considering it was already on the "main" mass media shows such as CNN and such yesterday, I think it already had spread quickly...
Sinbad96

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
He actually called the authorities himself, I commend him for not running away. Shows the man character. From what I read, this is just a sad case of a life lost on accident.
geowrian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Sinbad96 wrote:
He actually called the authorities himself, I commend him for not running away. Shows the man character. From what I read, this is just a sad case of a life lost on accident.

I disagree. I can't really "commend" somebody for doing the bare minimum of what is expected. Whether it was murder or self defense or something else, the expectation is not to leave a dying person nor flee the scene. Doing either of those would be cowardly.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
geowrian wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
IGN has now reported on this. So the news of his arrest is spreading really quick.

Considering it was already on the "main" mass media shows such as CNN and such yesterday, I think it already had spread quickly...

Yeah I found about it when I was looking over CNN International Twitter account earlier, you're right the news is spreading really quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:

I wouldn't bet on that.

Nicktoons has replaced Samurai/Super Samurai with another Megaforce/Super Megaforce.

Edit - Please refrain from excessive quoting. Since you have under 100 posts you get one free warning. Next time you get on the wall of shame. ~ Psycho 101

Last edited by ReNellGlover on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
That assumption isn't a guarantee. Even if that is true, I think you would need some solid evidence to support your claim of a fear of imminent peril. When it is a stranger, sure I mean you don't know them so logically you don't know what they might do. That he was afraid his room mate and probably friend might either kill him or cause great bodily injury, I'd require more than just his say so (like a history of violence, or maybe a specific reason he thought his roommate might take the altercation that far).

Reminds me of something my father told me, who used to run a liquor store: If you shoot someone and you kill them, put the gun in their hand and claim self-defense. I don't know how much he was joking about that or not, however (especially since he claimed he heard it from an LAPD cop--but then again, this was at least a decade before Rampart).

Eisenmann V wrote:
Pulling Power Rangers over this would be like pulling Star Trek off the air over John de Lancie getting accused of murder.

I find it oddly amusing that if that circumstance got Star Trek pulled, it wouldn't be the only franchise hit by it.

supersqueak wrote:
The other guy would have had to have been trying to kill him or had a weapon himself to warrant pulling out a samurai sword and stabbing him in the abdomen. I find it a little hard to believe that he did it purely out of self defense but I guess there is always more to the story. I just wonder why his first line of defense was a samurai sword. Like was it decorative or meant for self defense? Either way you would think he would have grabbed a blunt object or something to defend himself rather than a samurai sword why was that thing closest to him?

Most likely, it's because it was close to him and within his line of sight. That he called 911 afterwards indicated he had regretted it to some extent.

geowrian wrote:
I disagree. I can't really "commend" somebody for doing the bare minimum of what is expected. Whether it was murder or self defense or something else, the expectation is not to leave a dying person nor flee the scene. Doing either of those would be cowardly.

Except that in most murder and manslaughter cases, the killer DOES leave the area in hopes of not getting caught. And that's true for lesser crimes as well, such as hit-and-run accidents, selling drugs, robbery, and vandalism. It doesn't make sense for the person to do it to just stand there and get arrested.

I've worked in a store with a lot of glass and porcelain items, for instance. When a guest breaks a vase or a cup or a plate or something, I really don't mind; accidents happen. But nineteen times out of ten, they flee anyway (well, if no one's watching, they quietly step away), because they fear they may get in trouble. If they're afraid of the repercussions for something as insignificant as broken glass, I think the chances of a killer staying by the dead body is incredibly slim.
geowrian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Except that in most murder and manslaughter cases, the killer DOES leave the area in hopes of not getting caught. And that's true for lesser crimes as well, such as hit-and-run accidents, selling drugs, robbery, and vandalism. It doesn't make sense for the person to do it to just stand there and get arrested.

I've worked in a store with a lot of glass and porcelain items, for instance. When a guest breaks a vase or a cup or a plate or something, I really don't mind; accidents happen. But nineteen times out of ten, they flee anyway (well, if no one's watching, they quietly step away), because they fear they may get in trouble. If they're afraid of the repercussions for something as insignificant as broken glass, I think the chances of a killer staying by the dead body is incredibly slim.

I'm not doubting that at all. I'm just saying that I don't think it's a commendable act to call the police after stabbing somebody, regardless of the circumstances. Whether they needed to do so or it was a mistake or it was out of malice, I expect any decent human being to not just let a guy bleed out in front of you and to contact the police. If he hadn't done that and decide to run or something instead, that says many very poor things about his character. However, that doesn't mean he showed anything commendable either.

Similarly, it's not commendable to have a car accident and then not flee the scene. That's what our society expects and is backed by our laws. I would say there's some leeway with very minor things like you noted...where staying behind shows character because you know you could easily get away with it and it's a financial matter due to an accident or something. When dealing with somebody's life, anybody that doesn't seek help is trash. There's no "positive" aspect to commend.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
ReNellGlover wrote:

Nicktoons has replaced Samurai/Super Samurai with another Megaforce/Super Megaforce.

Yeah, I was expecting Samurai at the very least to to be pulled because he playes Deker, a katakana wielding villain in it. Bit too awkward at the moment.

Edit - Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Now, if one person does come out, and then another, etc. until it snowballs, then the victims often feel as though they're in a united front, rather than going it alone. Very few people could withstand that public backlash alone, and in situations like those were the victims are already feeling vulnerable about what happened to them, they truly feel that there is safety in numbers.

While I don't know how often it happens, this practice can also happen with false rape claims.

Why would a group of victims knowingly accuse the same person? For fame, attention, revenge, etc.

However, whenever someone knowingly accuses someone else of a crime that the latter didn't do, eventually it will have to come back and bite them.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
geowrian wrote:
I'm not doubting that at all. I'm just saying that I don't think it's a commendable act to call the police after stabbing somebody, regardless of the circumstances.
So you're saying stabbing someone is never commendable, regardless of whether or not it was in self defense like this probably was?
geowrian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
Ryvius213 wrote:
So you're saying stabbing someone is never commendable, regardless of whether or not it was in self defense like this probably was?

...I think you missed the conversation?

First, we don't have details to even make a decent opinion if it was probably self defense or not. The fact that he was taken in and charged with murder so quickly with a $1 million bail actually leans towards there being something indicating murder or else he would only have been questioned and reserve arresting until they had strong evidence that a crime was committed (like what typically happens). Either way, the lack of evidence is not evidence itself, so I'm keeping an open mind and not rushing to any kind of judgement.

Secondly, and probably more to your point, acting in self defense is not commendable. It's appropriate and necessary sometimes and I fully support it. However, I wouldn't praise somebody for doing so. That's another common expectation - if somebody is trying to harm you, then you should/need to take *reasonable* measures to prevent it. I would never say "You made a great decision by stabbing that guy instead of sitting there while he punches/stabs/shoots/whatever you." You expect somebody to defend themselves if attacked.

Maybe I'm just old and the bar for commendable actions has fallen that low? Back in my day... you didn't get praised or rewarded for doing what people expected of you. You got praised for going beyond the expectation and scolded for coming up short. Anyway, I'm bowing out here as this is getting way off topic. The article is about an arrest for a potential murder, not what what deserves praise or not.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing this guy did commit murder from what I've read but I consider extremely unwise/foolish for someone to conclusively say that he did do (or a person do any other violent crime, for that matter) it. That is, without realizing things might not be what they seem in crime stories.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
He didn't just voice Deker, he played him as well. Deker was in human form more often than his monster form.

Also, at least at first glance, this seems clearly a case of self-defense.

which i hope is the case. cause it will definitely be a black eye to the franchise if this was premeditated murder and not self defense. especially considering that dino charge is to premiere this week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Good news. No charges have been filed against Medina today.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:58 am Reply with quote
hey great news, he's not been charged and was released

[url]www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31125228 [/url][/url]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5