• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Expelled from Paradise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traveling

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I see. I did not realize the comments were from 6 moths ago.

I almost responded to that comment with almost the exact same thing before you posted your.

Why didn't ANN create a thread specifically for the Bluray?
cannonfodder4000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Narratively, Expelled from Paradise blows every American animated movie of 2014 out of the water

Dunno about that. I can't really find flaws in the Lego Movie or Big Hero 6, those two films were pretty exceptional.
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This is a revised edition of the original theatrical review to include the new bluray release.

Okay I was pretty sure I'd read almost this exact same review on this site before and was wondering what was going on or if it was just my imagination. I mean there's entire passages that seemed all too familiar.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
ANN Encyclopedia doesn't list the ADR director. Odd that three good actors turned in such terrible performances in the dub of this film; in any other anime, Steve Blum, Wendee Lee, and JYB would be a winning combination.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
ANN Encyclopedia doesn't list the ADR director. Odd that three good actors turned in such terrible performances in the dub of this film; in any other anime, Steve Blum, Wendee Lee, and JYB would be a winning combination.

Terrible is not the word I would use. Flat and bland are the words I would use. It's listenable at least.

ADR Director was Kirk Thornton. Also doing the new Durarara dub, but that's all I know.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear it's listenable atleast.

Looking forward to hearing the dub for myself when my copy arrives since I love hearing those three, ashame if it's that flat given how good those three can be.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I wish the people at CyberConnect2 would show some other Japanese studios how to animate in 3D while making it look like a "cartoon". The anime industry could likely benefit from more skilled 3D animators.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I wish the people at CyberConnect2 would show some other Japanese studios how to animate in 3D while making it look like a "cartoon". The anime industry could likely benefit from more skilled 3D animators.

Like some other people earlier in the thread from the original review, aside from certainly some instances of stiff character animation some of which may be framerate related too (there was also some instances of quite good character animation too IMO, plus some great facial expression animation as well, particularly toward the end with Angela), overall I thought that quite a bit of this movie was freaking gorgeous. And made some decent progress towards better character animation and especially in the facial expressions. That last battle was pure eye candy.

I agree with the point though. CyberConnect2 has done great work and the more of this type of animation Japan is going to do the more skilled 3D animators they really need to add in order to keep improving these.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
It's sad. I really really want to watch this, because this story looks so interesting, but I really just can't stomach that CG. Ugh.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
Yep. Same for me. I'm intrigued by the talent behind this movie but I doubt I'll ever get to it since I simply find this kind of CG completely unwatchable. It just doesn't work and wont until anime creators come to understand that CG is simply an entirely different beast from 2D animation that demands an entirely different approach. If you try to simply make it look like 2D all you wind up with is something that looks like a cheap and uncanny imitation.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
[...] If you try to simply make it look like 2D all you wind up with is something that looks like a cheap and uncanny imitation.

Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie had CGI in it, and the director somehow made it look like 2D.....
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
So, less on The Crystal Ship? I freaking love Oh! Edo Rocket, and 'heartwarming' in an Urobuchi project? Interesting combination. I'll definitely give this a shot.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie had CGI in it, and the director somehow made it look like 2D.....

Yeah, well, Ikuhara's kind of a mad genius.
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
likely the best-looking Japanese CG film yet made

I think I'd rather give that title to Captain Harlock.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
[...] If you try to simply make it look like 2D all you wind up with is something that looks like a cheap and uncanny imitation.

Seriously? I don't recall any CGI in there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

residentgrigo wrote:
I like Expelled from Paradise as you have read but how is it daring ? Just a run of the mill PG-13 robot action flick with nice characters. Nothing less and nothing more.

No, it's not. It's a science fiction movie primarily with some action sequences. It's similar perhaps to live action science fiction Hollywood movies, like Oblivion or that one based on a light novel.

Quote:
And why is the Lego movie for "children". It´s by the 21 Jump Street goons.

Haven't watched it but it would be revolutionary if it wasn't a children's movie and would certainly have flopped violently on the box office.

Quote:
Spirited Away is for "children" too and is the only anime with an oscar'Cool'.

Nobody who is into animation cares about the Oscars: not even Miyazaki cared about it either he didn't even show up to receive it.

Quote:
Moby Dick was for children and so was The Three Musketeers(adventure books tended to be). I count them as literature.
Poor Harlock needs an Mine Fujiko style revival.

Because Expelled from Paradise is obviously an essentially different type of movie than the animated stuff that comes out of Hollywood. They are not comparable for obvious reasons. It's like comparing a black metal album with a Taylor Swift album. Made for completely different audiences with completely different tastes.

{Merged serial postings. ~nobahn}
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5